Gareth Barry (Man City)

Si.

254 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Barry back?

I do believe we need one experienced player just to sit in the middle of the pitch and calm everyone down at times. Doesn't need to play every game, but just when needed. I think Barry would be an excellent choice to play that role. There were times last season where I really really wanted Petrov to be playing. I feel we may have similar times like that this season and swapping Barry for Petrov is no bad thing IMO. 

Our players need to gain their own experience with us.

if you had Barry with his experience it would be at the expense of a younger players attributes.

Another player can't play the game for you....you have to GAIN your own experience.

A young team don't want too many old farts in it.... They will make up for the lack of experience with vibrancy and energy.

if you had Barry with his experience it would be at the expense of a younger players attributes.

Another player can't play the game for you....you have to GAIN your own experience.

A young team don't want too many old farts in it.... They will make up for the lack of experience with vibrancy and energy.

This is just wishful thinking. There is a reason why Ferguson kept Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes at the club for so long. Chelsea have Terry and Lampard - and the list of examples is endless. No, someone else cannot play the game for you, but you will pick up everything he has learned over a career that is longer than yours. More experienced players (and by that I also imply that you have to be good, not just old) will always be leaders and they will keep the dressing room together, just like in an office or wherever people work together. So you think young players make up with vibrancy and energy, I think they will also lose a hell of a lot more games at the same time. To become better you have to practice and learn, if you do that just with younger players you will not reach the highest level possible. Well, at least not in most cases IMO. Especially in defense; last season we saw a hopeless setup and we didn't keep a clean sheet in forever. People drop heads and there is no-one there to pick them up, people just look at each other and hope the game is over soon.

What I want is a good mix of young talents, which is obviously what we will get under Lambert, as well as the right mix of older players with ability. Basically at least two defenders, a central midfielder and perhaps a more offensive player as well. What I have noticed over the last year is that most of our players are very silent, no-one stands out and people seem afraid of being vocal. I think Vlaar got a hold of it after Christmas and Gabby takes responsibility. A player like Barry would be vital for both ability, influence and tactical leadership. We miss Petrov too, the way he constantly kept on pushing and screaming at players when he needed to is sorely missed!

• Like 1

I can see this thread rumbling on all summer on the back of one easy and highly speculative bit of speculation by a journalist seemingly unaware of the fact Barry earns a fuckload every week and that we are seemingly working to a very different budget.

• Like 1

I agree. However there is a happy medium isn't there. A team full off ageing players would not take you far and a team full of players lacking experience at the level your competing likewise will not get you far. Alex Ferguson for me has always been the one to look to as he has struck a cracking balance over the years. When he introduced Beckham, Scholes, Butt, Solskjaer, The Nevilles etc back in 96 he did so alongside the Pallisters, Irwins,Ronny Johnson, Cantona etc. They rubbed off and fed off each other. Those as you say with the vibrancy and energy and those with a bit of nous and who could be a calming influence to those around them when needed. He did it more recently when bringing in Rafael, Welbeck, Hernandez,Cleverley, Jones, Smalling etc alongside the likes of Giggs, Scholes, Carrick, Rooney, Van Persie, Evra, Ferdinand etc.

Now whilst finances dictate that we can't do it on the level Man Utd can the principal still applies. A successful team will always have a blend of youth and experience.

No one is crying out for us to sign 4 or 5 players with experience at this level. What myself and it seems many many others would like to see is a couple of players of Barrys ilk who have been there, done it and can offer a little leadership and when needed, and it will be, to be a calming influence for the young lads around them. Not to hinder the young players  progress but to help them develop into the players we all hope they will become.

• Like 1

This is just wishful thinking. There is a reason why Ferguson kept Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes at the club for so long. Chelsea have Terry and Lampard - and the list of examples is endless. No, someone else cannot play the game for you, but you will pick up everything he has learned over a career that is longer than yours. More experienced players (and by that I also imply that you have to be good, not just old) will always be leaders and they will keep the dressing room together, just like in an office or wherever people work together. So you think young players make up with vibrancy and energy, I think they will also lose a hell of a lot more games at the same time. To become better you have to practice and learn, if you do that just with younger players you will not reach the highest level possible. Well, at least not in most cases IMO. Especially in defense; last season we saw a hopeless setup and we didn't keep a clean sheet in forever. People drop heads and there is no-one there to pick them up, people just look at each other and hope the game is over soon.

What I want is a good mix of young talents, which is obviously what we will get under Lambert, as well as the right mix of older players with ability. Basically at least two defenders, a central midfielder and perhaps a more offensive player as well. What I have noticed over the last year is that most of our players are very silent, no-one stands out and people seem afraid of being vocal. I think Vlaar got a hold of it after Christmas and Gabby takes responsibility. A player like Barry would be vital for both ability, influence and tactical leadership. We miss Petrov too, the way he constantly kept on pushing and screaming at players when he needed to is sorely missed!

Your points are good and feasible.

I just think the players you mentioned are played because of their own individual standing, not necessarily for the benefits you suggest.

I'm not dismissing your view, because it does have validity...but I would still sick with young players, take the peaks and troughs until they gained their own experience.

Just my view of course.

Free transfer on the right wages, experience at the highest level, knows and respects the club, and he's a sensible chap and a consummate professional, and we need some older heads at the club - what not to like about this deal?

He doesn't have to play very game, but if he did he would be earning it with Lambert in charge.

Edited by thunderball

Would have been a chance if we take the wages out of the equation. Not really the ideal signing I would want, but I am not against having someone experience there, I just don`t think Barry is the man.

I agree. However there is a happy medium isn't there. A team full off ageing players would not take you far and a team full of players lacking experience at the level your competing likewise will not get you far. Alex Ferguson for me has always been the one to look to as he has struck a cracking balance over the years. When he introduced Beckham, Scholes, Butt, Solskjaer, The Nevilles etc back in 96 he did so alongside the Pallisters, Irwins,Ronny Johnson, Cantona etc. They rubbed off and fed off each other. Those as you say with the vibrancy and energy and those with a bit of nous and who could be a calming influence to those around them when needed. He did it more recently when bringing in Rafael, Welbeck, Hernandez,Cleverley, Jones, Smalling etc alongside the likes of Giggs, Scholes, Carrick, Rooney, Van Persie, Evra, Ferdinand etc.

Now whilst finances dictate that we can't do it on the level Man Utd can the principal still applies. A successful team will always have a blend of youth and experience.

No one is crying out for us to sign 4 or 5 players with experience at this level. What myself and it seems many many others would like to see is a couple of players of Barrys ilk who have been there, done it and can offer a little leadership and when needed, and it will be, to be a calming influence for the young lads around them. Not to hinder the young players  progress but to help them develop into the players we all hope they will become.

Mark, your argument is not one I can readily dismiss and it really does have its merits.

I guess its all about how we feel about " that" experienced player and whether he is good enough....whether he will inhibit that youth ,that energy, that vibrancy.

I wouldn't be opposed to Barry coming in and wouldn't be broken hearted if he didn't I can see merits both ways. He was never the quickest of players and I'm not sure if he has slowed.

I really do see some significant improvements in our players this coming season, but Barry is an interesting one.

PS Any way I'm not convinced he will leave Man City unless THEY want him gone.

I have continually mentioned the word balance over the last two seasons which comes from the right experience and the right youthful exuberance in our team.

Barry simply isn't the right experience we need.

The more I think about this, the more I'm ok with Gareth coming back. He left when the club was in transition and he was frustrated by the club's inability to crack into Europe. He left with very little rancor, and has not disrespected Villa since.

If he's willing to accept a massive reduction in wages, then I'd welcome him back. But I think he'd want to stay on those wages, so I can see a club like Spurs or Arsenal bid for him. Maybe even PSG.

By all accounts Barry is a top pro so I can certainly understand why Lambert could be keen on such a player to act as a sort of role model for a young squad to look up to. The problem is I don't think he would want to deprive the younger lads of to much playing time by starting barry every week, so looking at it from Gareths point of view,  its likely a huge drop in wage and no guarantee of starting. Its the last bit more so than the wage that I think would work against us, coming into the twilight of his career I think game time will be of paramount importance and imo there are more than enough teams that could offer him that. 

I have continually mentioned the word balance over the last two seasons which comes from the right experience and the right youthful exuberance in our team.

But Berbatov was?

How do they differ?

But Berbatov was?

How do they differ?

or Charlie Adam or Harry Redknapp :D

id take Barry in squad over Adam or Berbatov anyday

Pray what experience are you looking for?

You can bring in experienced players who are not in decline.

But Berbatov was?

How do they differ?

Berbatov is still playing some terrific football as proven at Fulham last season while Barry in my opinion is not. I'd rather have someone like Diame, experienced and with his best years still ahead of him.

But Berbatov was?

How do they differ?

or Charlie Adam or Harry Redknapp :D

id take Barry in squad over Adam or Berbatov anyday

Charlie Adam hasn't been the same player since his father passed away and Berbatov was Fulham's best player last season. The Gareth Barry who left here i'd take back in a millisecond. The Gareth Barry who is available now i'd personally give a wide birth to due to the reasons i've already stated above.

Question. Since Barry isn't an DM or the AM we need who would you drop out of our team to accommodate him? Barry does, or did a similar job to Westwood so do we stunt the growth of one of our successes last season and pay inflated wages to bring back a player based on sentimentality?

Thats your opinion and i respect that but i'd rather have Diame in our midfield now than the Gareth Barry we would be getting back from Man City.

Has no-one learnt from the Ireland debacle?

Thats your opinion and i respect that but i'd rather have Diame in our midfield now than the Gareth Barry we would be getting back from Man City.

Has no-one learnt from the Ireland debacle?

Difference there is SI is "Pink Range Rover" level barmy and GB isn't actually barmy at all.

Â