Gareth Barry (Man City)

Si.

254 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Barry back?

ESPN had it down for 58 for Villa which would just make it shy of 100. My Bad - apologies

The first place I saw it was a Villa blog that has him providing 76 assists in Feb 2011. Says they got it from premier soccer stats, which means nothing to me.

Edited by Woodytom

Gotta say that in my opinion out of Barry, Milner, Young & Downing, Barry was the best player.

No sour grapes but Young is over rated. He had some good games granted but never "world class"

Milner should have stayed for another season. I know he won the league with Man City but he was just starting to develop into a cracking midfield player. He was the darling at Villa and had the free role. Now he's just a utility player that will run his heart out for club and country.

Downing was just a typical modern day football mercenary. Good riddance, never did it enough for me.

Out of the four who had the biggest impact when they played for England?

Gareth Barry actually pulled that England midfield together. We managed to string two passes together with him in the side.

He was a good servant at the club and always gave 100%

• Like 2

I'd rather see what Tonev can do on the wing rather than watch "superstar" Ashley Young dribble into the corner, do a couple of step overs and sky a cross well over everyone's head.

Ashley Young - The Ashley Young who as of Feb 2011 was 7th in the all time standings for assist rate in the premiership?

Ashley Young who played a part (either assisted or scored) in well over 100 goals for Villa?

Sure, he has faults but lets not kid ourselves he wouldn't slot straight into our starting 11 providing he was fit.

I have it that he scored 39 goals in 155 apps for us. That would mean 61 assists in those apps?

Source please.

Trying to find something a bit more concrete than the article that had him 7th in the all time assist rate (which said he was on 70 odd) in Feb 2011 since signing.

Didnt he get like 17 in one season just in the league?

He did yeah. I remember it dropping off to 9 the following year then it can't have been that many under Houllier. The maths don't add up to be fair.

I'm not saying he wasn't a very, very good player for us. Just not THAT good.

ESPN had it down for 58 for Villa which would just make it shy of 100. My Bad - apologies

The first place I saw it was a Villa blog that has him providing 76 assists in Feb 2011. Says they got it from premier soccer stats, which means nothing to me.

Discounting England I get 56.

Fair do's. Impressive, though still not "well over 100" ;)

Discounting England I get 56.

Fair do's. Impressive, though still not "well over 100" ;)

Yes the 'well over' was a touch of Woodytom madness. Plenty of it about by all accounts.  :D

I've thought about it, and providing Barry wanted the move and his attitude was right, I think he could be a great addition at this time.

A nice calm, composed head who can really pick a pass.

A 2-year deal would suit, I have my reservations though on whether he'd be willing to take a 50% (or could even be more) wage cut.

He might take a wage cut for a longer deal but he wouldn't bother for a 2 year deal at 50% of his wages. 

He'd be much better off earning that money over 1 year at Man City then moving on a free. 

Good point.

Think you've just cleared up for me why this one probably won't be happening. Why would he offer him any longer than a 2-year deal at his age, we'd have another Shay Given scenario on our hands.

Young wouldn't really fit into the current system. He really should've stayed another year with us I think, for his own benefit if nothing else

There it is again. The "system" so many are talking about. When Young was here we finished 6th and he was our most dangerous attacking player. Now tell me how a player like that don't fit into a setup that made a team finish 15th, being under the relegation line several times during the last season? The system that made us play woeful football for most parts of the season until we started using the old counter routine made famous by MON and several other mangers who gave up their original ideas. The system that cannot find a place for Darren Bent or Charles N'Zogbia, two of the few players other managers would happily put into their own squads if they had the chance. No there is obviously no room for them here, not Barry or Young either. Sometimes I wonder if we really want to climb the table at all? There is always room for good players, you adjust to their strengths and then you win more games.

Young is one of the best players we have had here the last 10 years and one that gave us real excitement when he played, and I am sure he must be one of the players with most goals/assists in that same era. I am not bothered to check that up, but correct me if I'm wrong. He, Milner, Barry, Mellberg, Laursen etc were in a league of their own, and let's not kid ourselves that he is not needed here. Not going to happen of course, I am not speculating that at all, but comments must be made for statements like the one above.

I'd rather see what Tonev can do on the wing rather than watch  "superstar" Ashley Young dribble into the corner, do a couple of step overs and sky a cross well over everyone's head.

Ashley Young - The Ashley Young who as of Feb 2011 was 7th in the all time standings for assist rate in the premiership?

Ashley Young who played a part (either assisted or scored) in well over 100 goals for Villa? 

Sure, he has faults but lets not kid ourselves he wouldn't slot straight into our starting 11 providing he was fit.

tumblr_mhrrr0ZSOn1qg39ewo1_500.gif

• Like 1

Young wouldn't really fit into the current system. He really should've stayed another year with us I think, for his own benefit if nothing else

There it is again. The "system" so many are talking about. When Young was here we finished 6th and he was our most dangerous attacking player. Now tell me how a player like that don't fit into a setup that made a team finish 15th, being under the relegation line several times during the last season? The system that made us play woeful football for most parts of the season until we started using the old counter routine made famous by MON and several other mangers who gave up their original ideas. The system that cannot find a place for Darren Bent or Charles N'Zogbia, two of the few players other managers would happily put into their own squads if they had the chance. No there is obviously no room for them here, not Barry or Young either. Sometimes I wonder if we really want to climb the table at all? There is always room for good players, you adjust to their strengths and then you win more games.

Young is one of the best players we have had here the last 10 years and one that gave us real excitement when he played, and I am sure he must be one of the players with most goals/assists in that same era. I am not bothered to check that up, but correct me if I'm wrong. He, Milner, Barry, Mellberg, Laursen etc were in a league of their own, and let's not kid ourselves that he is not needed here. Not going to happen of course, I am not speculating that at all, but comments must be made for statements like the one above.

I didn't say anything that argues with the bulk of your post, but where does a winger play in a setup that doesn't use wingers, and doesn't have a front man who thrives on crosses? It'd be a bit redundant would it not?

Young would comfortably fit into our system. It is wrong to suggest otherwise.

He'd fit in, fall over and sit on the floor holding his shin.

Anyway, last I checked this was about Barry.

Whilst providing near on 100 goals in 155 appearances.

But yes, you're right. Barry. Good player too.

Â