Christian Benteke

Kwan

We're either going to build something with Lambert backed by the chairman, or, we're going to keep on dismantling Aston Villa FC backed by the chairman?

I had this very debate with a fellow poster who stated at the time that we must build with younger players who are hungry for success rather than re-investing in experience.

I argued that we have been habitual re-builders over the past three or four seasons only to see our better players continually sold and Benteke looks as though he will be on his way whether we stay up or not.

That is the problem for our club. We will never be able to build a team that won't be continually interrupted by change when the chairman is now infatuated with the business side of the club rather than the vibrant enthusiasm he once had.

We need a balance of youth and quality experience within the squad so when we do lose one or two of our better players, we still have enough quality within the squad that the impact of losing those players is negligible and still allows us to compete in the Premiership.   

Edited by Morpheus

I hope we get £20m plus for him and he goes City to warm the bench. Shit being a smalltime club with zero ambition isnt it??

Hopefully he can keep us up, we put the 20m from his transfer together with next seasons tv money and give Lambert 40m to invest in giving us half a chance of survival next season (yeah, right!). Pffftttt depressing times to be a Villan

If we survive we'll be fighting relegation anyway I fear.

I would stake a pretty penny that Benteke is not an Aston Villa playee come the end of next transfer window.

Edited by Chindie

If he's got to leave I'd rather he went abroad so I don't have to see him every week on MotD. If he was at Atletico Madrid or PSG I'd be proud to say he'd come from VIlla. If he was at Spurs or that horrible sky blue shite I'd be gutted.

Agreed. Sadly I don't think he will go abroad. Has 'Spurs signing' written all over him in big neon letters IMO.

If he went to borussia dortmund I would actually be happy. I agree with you guys, I don`t wanna see him either in premier league. Would really be devastating to see him put on a new shirt next year with spurs or whatever. And you know they are gonna be in for him, defoe, adebayor and demspey to some degree is not good enough for them. 

I expect some really heavy investment in the next window if we stay up. Even if the rumors are just rumors I have no doubts about it either, benteke is surely not a villain in any way. 

Start the bidding at £25m, with 2 or 3 big clubs chasing it could hit £30m ??

Who gives a **** as Lerner will pocket the profit anyway

I'd be very surprised if we got that much for him. £15-20m, tops. 

Villa have traditionally undersold our players so yeah probably about £14-16m

Like who??

young

downing

milner

barry

all went for a good wedge

even yorke was decent for that era

Try as I might, I can't think of a player we've undersold, even Barry at £12.5million was good value considering the length of time left on his contract and his age at the time. £20million for downing, he wasn't worth the £12million we got him for.

I could understand selling if we got 25m and used 10m for a striker, 10m on a winger and 5m defender (or similar) but don't want us to sell him and use 1/3 of the money, it doesn't improve us..

Downing / Young = N'Zogbia

NOT reinvesting or improving.

If he's got to leave I'd rather he went abroad so I don't have to see him every week on MotD. If he was at Atletico Madrid or PSG I'd be proud to say he'd come from VIlla. If he was at Spurs or that horrible sky blue shite I'd be gutted.

Agreed. Sadly I don't think he will go abroad. Has 'Spurs signing' written all over him in big neon letters IMO.

I wouldn't really think of him as a Spurs signing, they don't pay big money to other Premier League teams very often.

If we are to sell him then with the increase in TV revenue i would hope the club dismiss bids of 15m. Posters were quoting 10m-12m for Bent.

I'd put Benteke in the same bracket potentially as Rooney and Man U paid close to 30m.

If Benteke continues with his current form then we shouldn't sell for anything less than 20m-25m on the basis that it is reinvested into the team and not the chairman's pocket. 

If we are to sell him then with the increase in TV revenue i would hope the club dismiss bids of 15m. Posters were quoting 10m-12m for Bent.

I'd put Benteke in the same bracket potentially as Rooney and Man U paid close to 30m.

If Benteke continues with his current form then we shouldn't sell for anything less than 20m-25m on the basis that it is reinvested into the team and not the chairman's pocket. 

Unfortunately "we" have no say in how any subsequent fee would be invested. My guess is that If we survive, Lerner will continue to run AVFC on a shoestring till he recovers his investment then try to sell,

Â