Christian Benteke

Kwan

This talk of moving to another level and the big clubs not wanting to take a chance on him, I really hate lerner

What did Lerner say then?

av1 and dem have answered that for me. What I will add is that Lerner actually said 'if I can't make it work I'll go' we'll he hasn't made it work and he hasn't gone.

It's not Lerner's fault the best players get hoovered up by the biggest clubs. That's just the way the market works.

it is lerner's fault that we are not in a better position to be able to retain them, not be a club that is just totally unable to resist any enquiry.

I mean look at Gareth Barry. He stayed under the promise of one more season to see if we could get champions league, that's what players want . It would be ridiculous to even make that promise now. It wouldn't be one more season to get champions league it would be one more season to fight to stay in the premier. Hardly a great bargaining chip

The point is that we have (under his control) become nothing more than a feeder club, desperatly battling relagation. No wonder our better players want out.

No great surprise about this news, but that does not mean there is anything in it.  Name me a player who has done well for a poorly performing team who is not linked with a move away?

Of course his agent will try and stir things up, its his job to keep interest high.  

All I know is we are definitely not in a position to lose our main attacking outlet and contractually we are under no pressure to do so! 

Edited by Nigel

Richard we sold downing for £20m and young for £17m with one year left on his contract. Whilst i hate the prospect of sellung our best pkayers so often. When we do we get good fees for them. Strikers have an extra premium to them and if he does go he will go for alot more than 15m, but I agree its depressing were assuming hes leaving already.

Rodders I hope we do get a shed load more than 15m for him. But tell me honestly, say the bidding starts at 11m or so, do you think we would turn down 15m? Because I don't trust the two clowns Faulkner an Lerner to get much more than that.

Edited by Richard

Carroll = £35m ergo would ask for £40m. I would be annoyed with less than Carrolls fee.

No chance pal, Lerners got no bottle to hold out for a proper bidding war. £12-14M and lerner will crumble like the coward he is!

Still hiding in knobsville or where ever the **** he is!

Richard we sold downing for £20m and young for £17m with one year left on his contract. Whilst i hate the prospect of sellung our best pkayers so often. When we do we get good fees for them. Strikers have an extra premium to them and if he does go he will go for alot more than 15m, but I agree its depressing were assuming hes leaving already.

So?

Whats the point of getting a mega payment for a player if the club is not reinvesting on quality players?

Let's face it, there aren't many Bentekes out there, and we certainly won't pick up another one on the cheap.

And then, who will score the 20 odd goals that CB probably will.

No, the fact that we appear happy to keep constantly selling the family silver just shows how far down the pecking order we have fallen and there is only one clearing in the woods to blame for that.

• Like 1

This year with 3 years left, Lerner would not sell for less than 20m I am certain of that. If we did sell then I'd also expect money to find another forward. Its hard to be sure, maybe Randy is planning on selling the club who knows. But for his many faults he will not let a star asset go so cheaply of that Iam 100% convinced.

This year with 3 years left, Lerner would not sell for less than 20m I am certain of that. If we did sell then I'd also expect money to find another forward. Its hard to be sure, maybe Randy is planning on selling the club who knows. But for his many faults he will not let a star asset go so cheaply of that Iam 100% convinced.

Agreed to a certain extent.

He 'probably' will try and sell for top dollar I think we agree on that.

But, my point remains, to replace a potential 20 goal a season player ( in any division) will cost a shed load of money. Money that I don't think he will ever release again.

We have unearthed one absolute gem in CB, the chances of striking gold again, on the cheap, are pretty bloody slim.

It's not Lerner's fault the best players get hoovered up by the biggest clubs. That's just the way the market works.

it is lerner's fault that we are not in a better position to be able to retain them, not be a club that is just totally unable to resist any enquiry.

I mean look at Gareth Barry. He stayed under the promise of one more season to see if we could get champions league, that's what players want . It would be ridiculous to even make that promise now. It wouldn't be one more season to get champions league it would be one more season to fight to stay in the premier. Hardly a great bargaining chip

That's not entirely Lerner's fault. Certainly he has to take a big portion of the blame but there are a lot of factors outside his control.

Edited by Mantis

How it should work is that we sell benteke for big money and then use that to sign a couple of proven quality players to improve us for next season.

Look at what we did in January, while we have such low wage restrictions we won't be able to spend the money we make from benteke being sold on good quality players. We'll have to hope that we manage to find another gem.

I think you can blame lerner for that.

• Like 1

How it should work is that we sell benteke for big money and then use that to sign a couple of proven quality players to improve us for next season.

And what's to say that isn't what will happen in the summer? We just don't know.

Sorry mantis I think you are wrong. There is only one factor in the modern game that dictates sustained success or dictates that you are better placed to retain your best players. Money

Money to invest in the squad, money to buy the best players yourself and become the club cherry picking the talent and money to pay the wages the top players want.

Unfortunately our club is constrained by the one thing that it is vital to have in this day and age and that is money. And that is very much the thing that Lerner has control of and which he has failed utterly and miserably at

Sorry mantis I think you are wrong. There is only one factor in the modern game that dictates sustained success or dictates that you are better placed to retain your best players. Money

Money to invest in the squad, money to buy the best players yourself and become the club cherry picking the talent and money to pay the wages the top players want.

Unfortunately our club is constrained by the one thing that it is vital to have in this day and age and that is money. And that is very much the thing that Lerner has control of and which he has failed utterly and miserably at

Even clubs with far more money than ourselves get their best players poached off of them. That's just the way the game works. I don't like it but all I ask is that we get a lot of money for Benteke and that it is reinvested.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

Even clubs with far more money than ourselves get their best players poached off of them. That's just the way the game works. I don't like it but all I ask is that we get a lot of money for Benteke and that it is reinvested.

Arsenal are a prime example of what you are claiming-They have lost their star players to bigger clubs for the past few close seasons.

We would have lost Benteke,even at the height of the MON period.We may have kept him for another season but who's to say we won't anyway?We are under no pressure to sell as CB will be worth the same,if not more in 12 months time as he is now.

The eventual fee we recieve for CB is irrelevant.Villa are privately owned by Lerner ie its HIS money.Signing another 10 Jordan Bowrys will not keep us in the premier league & any player who is half decent will be offered better terms at most other clubs than at Villa.

Its heartwarming to read so many peoples concerns over how much Randy will be able to put in his back pocket from the Benteke sale but I wouldn't mind betting anything over 15m (if that)  will go straight towards re-paying Randys loan.I couldn't give a monkeys how much "we" get as more unknown players on 5-10 grand a week coming in does not fill me with confidence.

One possible glimmar of hope for me is that if we do sell Benteke this summer,it COULD be that Lerner is looking to sell asap.

We should get 20M plus if he has a half decent run till the end of the season, but Villa will probably sell him for no more than 15M, who's knows Spurs or Man city might offer 9- 10M and a useless throwaway player that had a good season or two ages ago, the clueless Twonks in charge would probably accept

Edited by mockingbird_franklin

I'd love him to go to Arsenal, I just don't think they'd pay a stonking fee. Hopefully Mancini sees him as a replacement for Dzeko between now and the end of the season. I'd hate for him to go to Spurs, I just despise them.

Â