Christian Benteke

Kwan

True, but Randy also appeared to do very little to stop it happening. Some clubs fight to keep their contracted players, we seem happy to just roll over and let it happen.

Like Barry to Liverpool? Didn't Ashley want to leave sooner?

It's just a stick to bash Randy with when we all know about player power these days and frankly it's boring.

Complaining about Barry and Young is ridiculous really. Or would people really prefer they left on a free? Downing is not worth £20m so we did well to take that offer. Only one I can see real complaint about is Milner.

Didn't Milner end up putting in a transfer request? You can't keep a player who doesn't want to stay.

Complaining about Barry and Young is ridiculous really. Or would people really prefer they left on a free? Downing is not worth £20m so we did well to take that offer. Only one I can see real complaint about is Milner.

Didn't Milner end up putting in a transfer request? You can't keep a player who doesn't want to stay.

I wasn't aware of that. If so then there's not much you can complain about. I hear about how Spurs put up a fight, yet they still lost players like Carrick, Berbatov, Keane, etc. If players want to leave as you say there's not much you can do.

you have to look by his perspective lukaku will probaply return to chelsea next season if he wants to be #1 striker in our national team he has to move on to the top of his limit. and to be honest he is to good for villa im afraid :s if i was benteke i would stay at villa for like 2-3 seasons more to verify his talent but to be honest im actually 100% sure he will leave at the end of the season whatever happens unless he gets a bad injury he will be gone =/

google translator is awesome btw :)

I would take issue with the "too good for Aston Villa" comment Belgian Guy. Maybe "indebted" to Aston Villa is more like it?

Why should Benteke be indebted to us?

you have to look by his perspective lukaku will probaply return to chelsea next season if he wants to be #1 striker in our national team he has to move on to the top of his limit. and to be honest he is to good for villa im afraid :s if i was benteke i would stay at villa for like 2-3 seasons more to verify his talent but to be honest im actually 100% sure he will leave at the end of the season whatever happens unless he gets a bad injury he will be gone =/

I would take issue with the "too good for Aston Villa" comment Belgian Guy. Maybe "indebted" to Aston Villa is more like it?

He shouldn't be - it's a two-way street here. 

Why? Thought that was obvious? For taking a chance on him & giving him the platform which will no doubt lead on to better things for him... I think it's a bit rich for the original poster to say a player who we plucked from Genk is too good for Aston Villa & i find that quite disrespectful under the circumstances.

Obviously The Villa are struggling currently as we all know but to say he is too good for us?

Ok maybe "endebted" wasn't the perfect word to use if we are being really pedantic about it but i used that word to kind of balance the scales as the original poster stated Benteke is too good for this club which i have issues with. I don't feel Benteke is too good for Aston Villa, more so that Aston Villa are having a bad time at the moment, so i could understand that a lot of players would simply move on to play for a club as high up the table as possible.. but that does not mean he is "too good" for this club.

well in fairness if we stay up we will be indebted to him. Problem is he is too good for Villa and its sad but true

Is Benteke playing for free?

Who gave him the chance to ply his trade in the Premiership thus alerting other teams to his abilities?

Has he benefitted from our coaching or has someone just waved a magic wand over him to transform his ability from the start of his tenure at our club?

Benteke will eventually leave us for a Champions League club and for that he will be indebted to Lambert and Aston Villa FC.

I wasn't aware of that. If so then there's not much you can complain about. I hear about how Spurs put up a fight, yet they still lost players like Carrick, Berbatov, Keane, etc. If players want to leave as you say there's not much you can do.

Don't forget Modric. I agree completely, players hold majority of the power now and the contracts are barely worth the paper they're written on. Unless things change dramatically it's going to be very difficult for teams to compete with the likes of Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea.

I don't think us claiming to have 'found' Benteke is right - he was a Belgian international, a team which is starting to look very handy, we paid £7m for him, and he is, afterall, an employee of the club. He owes us nothing above his contract; we owe him nothing above his contract. It's hardly like the Dwight Yorke scenario, where he really did come of out leftfield, so you would expect a little more loyalty.

For me, he is under contract, so we either make him stay, or ensure that we get a great fee. Let's be realistic, good players who are wanted elsewhere nearly always go - shit ones don't. 

With regard to the Randy bashing (sounds like fun!), I think this is grossly unfair. We have only lost those who wanted to leave; I think we got very good fees for all of them - and a staggering fee in the case of Downing. Yes our better players move on, but not for a pittance. Given where we are as a club, that's all we can realistically do.

• Like 1

True, but Randy also appeared to do very little to stop it happening. Some clubs fight to keep their contracted players, we seem happy to just roll over and let it happen.

Pretty sure he offered all of those players better contracts. I think MM said Barry got offered a contract over 100k.

What can you do to keep a player who wants to leave and has one year left? It's either cash in or leave on a free. Randy made the right choices. 

Other teams seem to keep some of their best players (even if they go down) and if we stay up, I don't think its a full gone conclusion that he will leave. Every transfer window seems to have a certain "BENT IS 100% LEAVING!" and it's been like that for years. So taking all this with a pinch of salt.

Other teams seem to keep some of their best players (even if they go down) and if we stay up, I don't think its a full gone conclusion that he will leave. Every transfer window seems to have a certain "BENT IS 100% LEAVING!" and it's been like that for years. So taking all this with a pinch of salt.

Benteke is 22. A massive talent. 

Bent is almost 30. Prone to injuries. Getting older.

I think there's big difference :P

Why? Thought that was obvious? For taking a chance on him & giving him the platform which will no doubt lead on to better things for him... I think it's a bit rich for the original poster to say a player who we plucked from Genk is too good for Aston Villa & i find that quite disrespectful under the circumstances.

Obviously The Villa are struggling currently as we all know but to say he is too good for us?

Ok maybe "endebted" wasn't the perfect word to use if we are being really pedantic about it but i used that word to kind of balance the scales as the original poster stated Benteke is too good for this club which i have issues with. I don't feel Benteke is too good for Aston Villa, more so that Aston Villa are having a bad time at the moment, so i could understand that a lot of players would simply move on to play for a club as high up the table as possible.. but that does not mean he is "too good" for this club.

Benteke is way too good for us and would be too good for us during better premiership seasons. He is without doubt a champions league player. We have never been a champions league team. Not even been close to it really.

Benteke is good, a real talent. But as of yet, not too good for us.

I agree, first touch can still be ropey and his passing across midfield can sometimes put us on the back foot in dangerous situations, I don't think we've actually conceded once from him doing this but that's besides the point

Zero chance of him being here next year, absolutely nil.

No blame at the door of Lerner or Lambert with this one though, we simply wont be able to keep hold of him. I just hope it's all done in a dignified manner although judging by the way he got his transfer to Villa, I doubt it will.

I can see this one going off in the summer. Him demanding a transfer etc.

The whole process will be a lot easier if we get relegated, but if we stay up, its going off.

Â