Christian Benteke

Kwan

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bentekes-agent-refuses-rule-summer-133000603--sow.html

Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke is reportedly being scouted by top teams across Europe after an impressive debut season in thePremier League has left the relegation-battling side fearing the departure of their star man.

Arsenal, Manchester City and Tottenham are the three Premier League sides who are likely to be competing for the 22-year-old's signature come the summer window, but they will have to fight off interest from upcoming European giants including Atletico Madrid and Borussia Dortmund.

While Aston Villa - and particularly their manager Paul Lambert - would be extremely reluctant to sell the striker, Benteke's agent has confirmed that a summer move is possible.

Benteke's agent told The Mirror: "It is normal that if you go to a club and do well, then other clubs will show an interest.

"So why not take the step up to the next level if the opportunity is there?

"At the end of the season interested clubs will talk to Villa - but it has to be right for Villa, the buying club and Christian. If all three parties are agreeable then something could happen."

While there might be interest in Benteke, his representative insists that his client is focused on helping Aston Villa stay up this season.

"But right now his focus is on Aston Villa - and helping them stay in the Premier League. He wants to repay Paul Lambert for the faith that has been shown in him," he said.

"He has scored a lot of goals this season and wants to give 100 percent between now and the end of the season.

"But Villa will now ask a big price for Christian, much more than they paid for him, because Paul Lambert was the one who gave him his chance.

"I know what his ambitions are, he wants to do well in England."

The Belgian has scored an impressive 15 goals this season, helping Lambert justify both the forward's 9 million euro price tag and his decision to keep record signing Darren Bent on the sidelines.

However, if Villa do part company with Benteke in the coming months, the asking price is likely to be around double what they paid for him when he signed from Genk.

Edited by AVFCforever1991

Is this allowed? His agent openly touting him around at a critical time in our battle for Premier League survival? If it is then it shouldn't be it's disgraceful & the agent should be barred from the game. At the very least Villa should refuse to sign any more players he is leeching off.

Cannot believe this idiot is openly touting Benteke around. This can only unsettle him & therefore cause him to take his eye off the prize potentially.

Sorry mantis I think you are wrong. There is only one factor in the modern game that dictates sustained success or dictates that you are better placed to retain your best players. Money

Money to invest in the squad, money to buy the best players yourself and become the club cherry picking the talent and money to pay the wages the top players want.

Unfortunately our club is constrained by the one thing that it is vital to have in this day and age and that is money. And that is very much the thing that Lerner has control of and which he has failed utterly and miserably at

Even clubs with far more money than ourselves get their best players poached off of them. That's just the way the game works. I don't like it but all I ask is that we get a lot of money for Benteke and that it is reinvested.
they may do, but of as often . In addition they are much better placed to be able to put up at least a sentence of a fight and keep the, for more than a year or so. Then if they do sell reinvest in quality . Us at he moment we will only lkeep top players for a season and then not reinvest in quality

Is this allowed? His agent openly touting him around at a critical time in our battle for Premier League survival? If it is then it shouldn't be it's disgraceful & the agent should be barred from the game. At the very least Villa should refuse to sign any more players he is leeching off.

Cannot believe this idiot is openly touting Benteke around. This can only unsettle him & therefore cause him to take his eye off the prize potentially.

Unfortunately he only ever saw us as a stepping stone and this was always on the cards as long as he did well here. It wouldn't surprise me if Benteke had instructed his agent to tout him around other clubs.

Unfortunately he only ever saw us as a stepping stone and this was always on the cards as long as he did well here. It wouldn't surprise me if Benteke had instructed his agent to tout him around other clubs.

Thing is even if he did this should not be being done like this.. it's almost embarrassing the way it is so obvious he wants out & is being touted about... To do this half way through the season when we are battling relegation is shameful & can only have an unsettling effect..if not on Benteke then on the team in general which is the polar opposite of what this club needs at the moment.

Obviously this will go on at every club but not to this extent mid season surely? This should be happening when either the season is as good as over i.e. the club is either safe or relegated or preferably in the summer when the season is over if the guy is that desperate to tread on the club at the 1st opportunity.

Whatever his agent says should be like the player saying...this certainly isn't fair on Villa the club that signed him and took a risk on him. 

He certainly hasn't sold Benteke in that statement but made other clubs aware. 

I really hate agents in this business, Anelka had his brother as an agent and he's a multi millionaire because of Anelkas transfer dealings (one including to Bolton (no disrespect to Bolton who are a great club, but not Anelkas level)).

Just another thing that us fans have to suck up and accept I guess. GRR!

its the same for every other club inc Man U

Its a predatory business

we just have to learn how to play it to our advantage.

If you are at the bottom as the food chain as we are, there really is no long term advantages to be had. Edited by MikeMcKenna

Arsenal and Spurs have both probably had more of their star players poached than we have in recent years. 

Spurs have reinvested wisely and used it to push forwards, Arsenal have not reinvested the money and have gone backwards. 

It happens to every club bar 3 or 4 in world football. 

Quite right, if we have to sell people then that is the way it goes the only two things we can ask is that we drive a hard bargain to get the best deal we can and that the money is reinvested wisely.

Unfortunately I've little or no faith in Lerner and Faulkner to do either of these things, despite how we've performed this season I would actually trust Lambert with the money.

• Like 1

Arsenal and Spurs have both probably had more of their star players poached than we have in recent years. 

Spurs have reinvested wisely and used it to push forwards, Arsenal have not reinvested the money and have gone backwards. 

It happens to every club bar 3 or 4 in world football. 

Yep this sums it up perfectly. Its all about reinvesting your money wisely. And when we sell Benteke, I just hope the club has learned from the past.

If we stay up, the 20m might actually benefit us more than keeping benteke providing keeners gives all the money to lambert to spend

With that 20m and any extra money those clowns are willing to provide we could get a replacement, a good lb and dm. Then we won't have to rely on losers like Bennett and bannan

You think Lerner and Faulkner are going to have learned from the past? I don't.

I think Lerner has learnt from the past-In as much that the penny seems to have dropped that the only people to make money in professional football are the players and the agents.He has clearly stopped all financial support to the club and whereby he boldly announced a "5 year plan" to go forwards when he first arrived,he seems to have adopted a "5 minute plan" to cut his losses.Just as it takes years of planning & building to go forwards,it also takes years to reduce outgoings-To do it overnight as Lerner has done  will only result in the shambles on the pitch that we are witnessing on a weekly basis.Whatever money we recieve for Benteke or whoever will just be wasted on more dross who are happy to come here for 5-10 grand a week.I feel we've been badly let down by Lerner and I worry to think where its all going to end.

I see Falkner as little more than Lerners yes man who keeps an eye on things on a day to day basis.

Quite right, if we have to sell people then that is the way it goes the only two things we can ask is that we drive a hard bargain to get the best deal we can and that the money is reinvested wisely.

Unfortunately I've little or no faith in Lerner and Faulkner to do either of these things, despite how we've performed this season I would actually trust Lambert with the money.

To be fair, I think when selling the likes of Barry, Downing, Milner, Young (A), they've done very well in terms of getting a good price. I also think that in more recent times, they've/the manager has done good on buying prices, too, overall.

There are many things they can be fairly criticised for, but not driving a hard bargain isn't one of them. When managers have had free reign, it's been a different story, mind (MO'N).

• Like 1

Â