Christian Benteke

Kwan

IMO if we stay up we need money from lerner and we need to use the money we get from benteke + eventually others. Lot of high earners going away in the summer? Maybe we can get rid of ireland also, would be sweet if we could sell him for...yeah anything. Get in some good ligue 1 players maybe, or better yet some bundesliga players. IMO that would be a big investment once again but I am pretty certain it would help if we brought in something that can actually have an impact, just look at sissoko which have been mentioned countless times. Maybe get some italian players, get some from atlanta or something they have some good players. Bonaventura for example, dno. Just get in someone good at not all unknown people. Okay benteke was pretty unknown to us but he had made his mark in belgium, and he was an upcoming player for sure. We need more of that. 

If we were to stay up,I believe that we could keep Benteke if we really wanted to.Having witnessed what we have become,I also believe that Benteke will be touted about in the summer,just as Downing was 2 sumners previously.Benteke will enable Lerner to grasp another £10 million of his fortune back.

I agree with others that Benteke is not the finished article and needs to improve consistancy levels as well as the ability to convert the simple chances.That said,I feel he's well worth a punt for the top sides,especialy given the money that Balloteli has moved for.

I've no complaints if he goes-Who in the right mind,with the smallest grain of ambition would want to hang around at a club like ours who's sole existance appears to be to make sure the owner does not have to put any investment or commitment into the club.

I think Bentekes run of form has actually created a monster. Lets face it, the majority of people were less than enthused by his arrival and his barely concealed ambition to play at the highest level was pretty much accepted. But then the boy turned out to be better than was thought and suddenly everyone is praying he does'nt leave. And, to be hoped, his success and 'cult' status has somewhat endeared him to the club and fans. 

Me, I just find myself wondering who those 15 goals to date would have been scored by?

I think Bentekes run of form has actually created a monster. Lets face it, the majority of people were less than enthused by his arrival and his barely concealed ambition to play at the highest level was pretty much accepted. But then the boy turned out to be better than was thought and suddenly everyone is praying he does'nt leave. And, to be hoped, his success and 'cult' status has somewhat endeared him to the club and fans. 

Me, I just find myself wondering who those 15 goals to date would have been scored by?

Well that is quite easy. If not Benteke, Lambert would have gotten someone else. And better yet, if Darren Bent played as many games as he could then he would have scored at least 10. Like he has done for Sunderland and us before Lambert got here.

Looks like he'll be off first chance he gets then, according to his agent in The Guardian -

Aston Villa's hopes of holding on to Christian Benteke in the summer appear increasingly forlorn, with Tottenham Hotspur heading a growing list of clubs interested in signing the Belgium international on the back of an exceptional first season in English football.

Benteke has been a revelation since joining Villa from Genk in a £7m deal in August, scoring 15 goals for a team that is embroiled in a relegation battle. Paul Lambert, the Villa manager, recently suggested that Benteke's value will have more than doubled on the back of his impact at the Midlands club.

Although several overseas teams, including Atlético Madrid and Borussia Dortmund, have watched Benteke, the 22-year-old's preference is to remain in England. Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea are all potential destinations for the striker.

Arsène Wenger followed Benteke's progress in Belgium and the Arsenal manager admitted a few months ago that he was "surprised" the player ended up signing for Villa. Spurs, meanwhile, have sent scouts to take a closer look at Benteke, whose physical presence has helped him adapt to the Premier League with the minimum of fuss and caught the eye of André Villas-Boas, the Tottenham manager.

Kismet Eris, Benteke's agent, said: "It is normal that, if you go to a club and do well, then other clubs will show an interest. Christian has shown that he can play in England. So why not take the step up to the next level if the opportunity is there?

"At the end of the season interested clubs will talk to Villa – but it has to be right for Villa, the buying club and Christian. If all three parties are agreeable, then something could happen. But right now his focus is on Aston Villa – and helping them stay in the Premier League. He wants to repay Paul Lambert for the faith that has been shown in him. He has scored a lot of goals this season and wants to give 100% between now and the end of the season.

"But Villa will now ask a big price for Christian, much more than they paid for him, because Paul Lambert was the one who gave him his chance. There will be clubs asking about Christian next summer because he's proved he can do it in England. None of the big clubs wanted to take a chance on Christian when he was still unknown. I have been with Christian for 10 years now. I know what his ambitions are – he wants to do well in England."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/feb/15/aston-villa-christian-benteke-losing-battle?CMP=twt_gu

Looks like he'll be off first chance he gets then, according to his agent in The Guardian -

Aston Villa's hopes of holding on to Christian Benteke in the summer appear increasingly forlorn, with Tottenham Hotspur heading a growing list of clubs interested in signing the Belgium international on the back of an exceptional first season in English football.

Benteke has been a revelation since joining Villa from Genk in a £7m deal in August, scoring 15 goals for a team that is embroiled in a relegation battle. Paul Lambert, the Villa manager, recently suggested that Benteke's value will have more than doubled on the back of his impact at the Midlands club.

Although several overseas teams, including Atlético Madrid and Borussia Dortmund, have watched Benteke, the 22-year-old's preference is to remain in England. Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea are all potential destinations for the striker.

Arsène Wenger followed Benteke's progress in Belgium and the Arsenal manager admitted a few months ago that he was "surprised" the player ended up signing for Villa. Spurs, meanwhile, have sent scouts to take a closer look at Benteke, whose physical presence has helped him adapt to the Premier League with the minimum of fuss and caught the eye of André Villas-Boas, the Tottenham manager.

Kismet Eris, Benteke's agent, said: "It is normal that, if you go to a club and do well, then other clubs will show an interest. Christian has shown that he can play in England. So why not take the step up to the next level if the opportunity is there?

"At the end of the season interested clubs will talk to Villa – but it has to be right for Villa, the buying club and Christian. If all three parties are agreeable, then something could happen. But right now his focus is on Aston Villa – and helping them stay in the Premier League. He wants to repay Paul Lambert for the faith that has been shown in him. He has scored a lot of goals this season and wants to give 100% between now and the end of the season.

"But Villa will now ask a big price for Christian, much more than they paid for him, because Paul Lambert was the one who gave him his chance. There will be clubs asking about Christian next summer because he's proved he can do it in England. None of the big clubs wanted to take a chance on Christian when he was still unknown. I have been with Christian for 10 years now. I know what his ambitions are – he wants to do well in England."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/feb/15/aston-villa-christian-benteke-losing-battle?CMP=twt_gu

Understandable that the interest would tempt him, and good on him that he wants to repay Paul Lambert and that his agent says it must be right for Villa primarily before him and Christian. 

Still, we know what is good for Villa, or Lerner at least - and that is to make a profit in regards to cash rather than player quality.

Lets just enjoy what we can from a young footballer who has a very bright future.

I hope he gives us another season after this one at the very least, but if he does leave then I just hope he goes to Arsenal or abroad - anywhere but Spurs who I **** can't stand.

If we sell him any less than 20mil it would be criminal, in my 25+ years of supporting Villa he is one of the most gifted strikers I have seen at Villa and obviously that takes his age into account.

My top strikers list below.

1) Dwight Yorke
2) Dean Saunders
3) Christian Benteke
4) Gabby
5) Dalian Atkinson
6) John Carew

7) Darius Vassell
8) John Fashanu (only kidding folks!)

Not sure which part of that article quotes his agent as claiming "Benteke will be off first chance he gets".

There is not a player in Villas first team,with the possible exception of Gabby who would not crawl on his hands & knees down the M1 to sign for Arsenal,Chelsea or Spurs at this moment in time.

It will take big money to prise Benteke away from Villa & although he has certainly proved himself in the Premier League,the limitations that Genk fans were pointing out about his game are still there,ie the inability to convert the bread & butter chances.

For his agent to come out with that quote indicates to me that serious interest has been shown in Benteke-This should ensure any potential transfer fee will be high in order for Villa to agree to sell.We could quite easily keep him for another season and still get the same figure-Maybe even more if he improves.

This talk of moving to another level and the big clubs not wanting to take a chance on him, I really hate lerner

Agree.

It seems we have 12 more opportunities to watch this great player playing in the colours of a once great club.

Hopefully his leaving presant will be the goals that keep us up.

Edited by av1

hes been with us only half a season, and theres talk of him leaving already, shocking, hes contracted to us, hes our player, if we want him for the duration of his contract that the club should dictate that, but as it is, the club is spineless

theres no denying tekkers is very good, but hes still only 22 and been in the league for only 6 months, we should at least keep him for 2 seasons

add the above to the fact that its a sure thing bent will be leaving as well in the summer, that means were going to lose our 2 main strikers in one go? what other club in the world we be as stupid? oh ye, nobody, just villa, the joke club of the premier league, the whipping boys

to talk money of these, db9 cost us £24m, tekkers cost £8m, thats £32m

now to sell them both this summer, i reckon we could get £10m for db9 and £20m for tekkers, total £30m

once again, were out of pocket, other club benefit from us, and were left in deeper sh it

well done lerner

This talk of moving to another level and the big clubs not wanting to take a chance on him, I really hate lerner

What did Lerner say then?

Whilst I cant speak for Richard, I think his point, was a broader assessment of what we have become under Lerner. The line 'no big clubs took a chance' is a sad indictment of that.

I hope he gives us another season after this one at the very least, but if he does leave then I just hope he goes to Arsenal or abroad - anywhere but Spurs who I **** can't stand.

If we sell him any less than 20mil it would be criminal, in my 25+ years of supporting Villa he is one of the most gifted strikers I have seen at Villa and obviously that takes his age into account.

My top strikers list below.

1) Dwight Yorke

2) Dean Saunders

3) Christian Benteke

4) Gabby

5) Dalian Atkinson

6) John Carew

7) Darius Vassell

8) John Fashanu (only kidding folks!)

JPA?

GABBY?

VASSELL?

I'd have Allback in there above Vassell!

Anyway back on topic, great player destined for things we can't provide quick enough... Hopefully keep hold of him for one more season - could be worth it for him and us.

Â