Christian Benteke

Kwan

Let my guard down with the Delph case and got caught up in the furore of "if everyone is saying it, it must be true" 

But it was true?

But it actually wasn't, was it...because if you believe the story, the deal was done and the decision was made already.

The deal WAS agreed and the decision WAS made - Fabian just changed his mind at the last minute. That doesn't stop the reports being true up to that point though

• Like 2

Let my guard down with the Delph case and got caught up in the furore of "if everyone is saying it, it must be true" 

But it was true?

But it actually wasn't, was it...because if you believe the story, the deal was done and the decision was made already.

The deal WAS agreed and the decision WAS made - Fabian just changed his mind at the last minute. That doesn't stop the reports being true up to that point though

Confirmed that himself did he?

But it was true?

The fact that City had briefed local media on a planned medical (which Fabian didn't show for) and interviews with the player is enough for me. People change their minds about things. If I say I'm going to do the groceries tomorrow, but I end up not doing it, it doesn't make what I said untrue, it was true at the time, but the circumstances changed

• Like 1

Heard a rumour that we want Adebayor but only if they pay most of his wages and reduce his transfer fee. Could be one we do late in the day. I doubt he would be Benteke replacement. More an experienced striker to complement the squad.

• Like 1

I want Charlie!. On topic Austin would be good!

Edit: Would we be the only squad with two Charles in it?

No, but we'd probably be the only one with a couple of Charles' and a Carles

Edited by P3te

But it was true?

The fact that City had briefed local media on a planned medical (which Fabian didn't show for) and interviews with the player is enough for me. People change their minds about things. If I say I'm going to do the groceries tomorrow, but I end up not doing it, it doesn't make what I said untrue, it was true at the time, but the circumstances changed

Thought as much, my cynicism remains as high as ever.

Heard a rumour that we want Adebayor but only if they pay most of his wages and reduce his transfer fee. Could be one we do late in the day. I doubt he would be Benteke replacement. More an experienced striker to complement the squad.

Tim would just slot him in to Benteke's position. He got goals out of him before so the only reason not to bother is to overpay him. Tim's probably got the inside track and knows that no other English team will bother with the head case so he could yet come in on budget. So long as we sign a striker for the future also.

We need to go into the season past September 1st with this really:

Beneteke replacement

Adebayor/Bamford/some random guy from abroad

Kozak

Gabby

Sinclair

Callum Robinson loaned out again to league one.

Anything less and going to be a bit of a struggle to xmas to score enough goals to win games as don't see the defence keeping many clean sheets.

Happy if he stays, possibly even slightly happier if he goes (I tend towards the theory that two or three good players and a different style could well be a better way forward).

The only thing I couldn't stomach was him going to Liverpool, but I've finally found a way of being happy with that bit too, namely that it will feel good to be the Club that has most the Sterling money off them.....particularly as I've no doubt they'll fail to acheive their goals with him anyway.

We all hate Liverpool because of their non scouse fans and ex players. But if we actually take a step back and look at them they are quite a special club. I for one remember walking out of Wembley after that semi final talking to many scousers that shook my hand and said Villa totally deserved it. There are many teams with supports that can't do that.

• Like 1

It's very important that we don't try to replace him 'directly' (as it were) because we're not going to be able to do a like-for-like and whoever comes in doesn't immediately need to be put under the pressure of 'Why aren't you as good as Benteke?!'. 

What I'm hoping is that we'll move on and try to shift the mentality of the team to one of being less dependant on just one player. 

I think the money should be invested in 2 players, a striker and a CM to replace Westwood. 

My concern with Adebayor would be that if/when we have a bad run he'll lose interest as he's used to being part of a top 6 side minimum and will think he's better than a side that are on a 5/6 game winless run and have slipped into the bottom 6/8 - he's a temperamental dick at the best of times, and I think he'd kill morale.

Kozak deserves a chance to be one of our main 3 or 4 strikers, so depending on how Sherwood alters the playing style, Id look at replacing Benteke with a poacher rather than a like-for-like striker

I don't think they are special at all, far from it.

I've experienced great fans at lots of clubs and without the self important sense of entitlement. Add that to the rubbish spouted about the great atmosphere they generate....and their dominance of the media (not the clubs fault I agree) and they have long been runaway leaders in the race of Clubs I simply can't stand.

The only thing I'd like less about them would be Harry R managing them.

Although on the bright side that could see them bankrupt in no time.

Â