Christian Benteke

Kwan

If we have the right to refuse staggered payments then can't we ask for a higher transfer fee?

Yep. The £32.5million just means that Liverpool can talk to Benteke and agree terms. They still would then need to agree terms with us. We could downright refuse to accept their payment proposal - so a likely way round it would be for them to offer more over time.

I hope we stand our ground here.

How hilarious would it be if he changed his mind like Delph?

Very hilarious.

Liverpool isn't a very good move for him, really. Wouldn't begrudge him a move to Man Utd or a club in the Champions League. Liverpool don't have a lot going on right now. Unsteady ship that has as much chance of getting Champions League football next season as we do Europa League.

If we have the right to refuse staggered payments then can't we ask for a higher transfer fee?

Yep. The £32.5million just means that Liverpool can talk to Benteke and agree terms. They still would then need to agree terms with us. We could downright refuse to accept their payment proposal - so a likely way round it would be for them to offer more over time.

Why? For the sake of a couple of million it's not worth it. Also, staggered payments make no difference. Liverpool aren't about to go bust.

I don't think the club wants to stand their ground here.

I imagine they've planned to spend that money anyway. The only way we'll stand our ground is getting the fee, which we appeared to have done.

• Like 2

The club have done what we asked, stood their ground and got the fee. Not only would moving the goalposts now hinder our own plans it is also incredibly unprofessional. We want clubs to want to do business with us, we know for a fact that it has benefited us in the past (Delph).

I imagine they've planned to spend that money anyway. The only way we'll stand our ground is getting the fee, which we appeared to have done.

Yeah, had this feeling for a long time that Tim can see like some of us...the money is the better option to improve the team.  Just the subtle hints of being shopped around.

Just hope, if he does actually go and this isn't further fabrication, that we spend all the money and this triggers a domino of bids with other players and we get our business concluded nice and quickly.  Be nice to see some new players at swindon next tuesday.

We really should have signed his replacement before selling him. I'd imagine prices will now be slightly higher for anybody we're interested in

I think its difficult to do that because it wasn't absolutely nailed on that someone was going to come in for him. I'd imagine though that his replacement probably has already been agreed upon.

I think once he goes we'll see Amavi and Praet join with a striker not long after.

Why? For the sake of a couple of million it's not worth it. Also, staggered payments make no difference. Liverpool aren't about to go bust.

I'd prefer for Villa not to be treated like mugs by big bad Liverpool. If, for example, they are suggesting we can have £5million upfront and then £27.5million spread over 5years, I hope we would brave enough to tell them where they can go.

Having as much money available now could be the difference between us landing a quality 1st choice player, or landing our 3rd choice player.

Villa still have a big part to play in this transfer. It's not all over yet!

I'm sure a high percentage of deals aren't paid in a one-off instalment. Tbh if he goes, I don't care where, and I don't really care if he succeeds or fails, I just care about who we get in with the money and how they do for us.

• Like 1

They're not treating us like mugs. It's all twitter bollocks.

Staggered payments are standard. It makes absolutely no difference, if we need to pay upfront for somebody we will do so knowing that money is coming in. Liverpool aren't going bust.

On the staggered payments, it does seem common place with all bonuses and add-ons and what not.

I also think, for villa, it doesn't make that much difference?  In business once you invoice for something, presumably the full amount, then you account it all in that period?  I think that's how it works when I fill in my invoices online anyway.

So if I'm right, in terms of FFP, we have the full amount on our books that we could spend right away.  And Liverpool couldn't get out of paying it in a month of sundays, so not a lot to lose.

• Like 1

Â