Aleksander Tonev

HalfTimePost

I like that he had a mixed game, but still managed to bag 2 assists (ish).

I didn't watch much of the game, but if he hits 6 wayward corners, followed by one like the cross that lead to our second, then that's a good day's work. That particular corner was an absolute beast of a cross, and if we can get just one like that into the box every game then our corner conversion rate will improve significantly.

• Like 1

I imagine the whole "first home game" and the fact he was injured for a few preseason games just made him try too hard, definite flashes that he could be brilliant, just when he finally calms down. Few sub appearances to start with to deal with the situation and environments and I think he'll play a big role for us this season

I think he'll be a good 'roll of the dice' option to bring on, initially atleast. Some days it won't work out, other days he'll provide a crucial assist. Probably not one to bring on when you're protecting a narrow lead and looking to keep possession, but could be a good option for when a goal is needed.

• Like 1

I want to ask .. in Malaga game was Andi better than him anyway ?!

I know he piss off when shooting sometimes .. But I think by putting him on the wing .. He could have more space and could pass the defender and shoot even better !

I don't know why Lambert doesn't try and play Weimann in the middle !?

Last time between Gabby and Tonev .. Now Tonev ..

Andi doesn't have the pace of the other two .. + Tonev could play with two feets ..

Anyway I would like him to come from the bench with a fair time instead of Andi .. I want to see how would it work with him and Gabby on the wings ? with the midfield trio ..

I want to ask .. in Malaga game was Andi better than him anyway ?!

Generally far, far better, as you'd expect given their relative amounts of experience, but Tonev's contribution to the game was an excellent corner (between a lot of rubbish corners) that we scored from, and an excellent pass (between a lot of rubbish passes) to Benteke, that we won the penalty from.

I agree with you that Weimann isn't best used out wide. Like Gabby he's better behind the main striker, but having the two of them wide and Benteke in the centre is a decent enough compromise overall imo.

• Like 1

think for first couple of months he will need to be used as an impact player at most. last 15-20 minutes when teams are tired or if we are trailing, his long range efforts could come in handy

• Like 1

Its alright misplacing corners\passes in friendlies - if he starts to do that on a regular basis in the prem, he will soon have 30,000 groans on his back. Lets not forget he wasn't a regular starter for his last club - I don't see him being one here TBH

Well i thought both Weimann & Gabby were terrible on Saturday. Just goes to show how opinions differ. Tonev was better than them both to my eyes

and on the subject of misplacing passes, Lowton kicked it out of touch twice despite being under no pressure on both occassions

• Like 1

I hate the way certain 'fans' have already started writing players off on the basis of a couple of friendlies.

I'll judge Tonev after a season or two.

I haven't seen people writing him off. More people wondering if he's ready to start ahead of Gabby this weekend.

I hate the way certain 'fans' have already started writing players off on the basis of a couple of friendlies.

I'll judge Tonev after a season or two.

am sure people on here wrote Westwood off after Southampton game last season :D

I don't see why there's any negativity after the malaga game.

He looked a good player.

How many players do we have that get the ball and run at defenders? It's something we lack. He's fast, his touch is good and he's a positive attacking player. We also know he's got the ability to strike the ball well.

I think he's going to have a big season for us.

• Like 2

Whatever about judging him now or in 2 years time. I'd like to see him pushing the current first 11 for a starting place as early as possible. That's the surest way we as fans can know that he's showing Lambert enough quality in training, and we can then at least be confident that he's got some skills we can look forward to seeing. As up and down as his performance against Malaga is reported to have been (I didn't see the match), the fact is he had 2 very telling contributions and that's the kind of effectiveness we need.

I also didn't see the game so take this with a pinch of salt.

However his corner for the goal was as good as I have seen from a Villa player since Young left.

I know he hit a load of bad ones too but surely if he does one of those a game then that is better than floating 10 corners in, Benteke or Baker get a head to 8 of them but none go in.

• Like 1

I seem to remember a few fans moaning about Petrov in the early stages of his Villa career...look how he ended up being regarded

True. In the case of Petrov I think for many it was harder to see what he contributed simply because he did a lot of the positional and unglamourous stuff. It was only when Petrov wasn't in the side that many realised the whole thing didn't quite knit so well without him. It's why I think people have taken so quickly to Westwood. Because they now realise, thanks to Petrov and to Petrov's absence, that this kind of player is vital. Tonev's contributions on the other hand will be more obvious as they'll happen further forward and be more directly linked with things like goals and assists.

Â