Aleksander Tonev

HalfTimePost

i have mixed views on him too.

He looked good at times.. and too selfish at other times.. i remember him slicing through the middle and had Benteke on the left and Wiemann on the right and he chose to blast it. Wrong option. Did that a few times. Put that down to eagerness to impress or selfishness. Time will tell. Im sure Lambo will let him have it if he keeps doing it.

What did you think of Gabby?

I definitely see the potential, he just needs to relax a bit. Also, if he's gonna be taking our corners I really hope he works on them. All of them except the goal were pretty poor. 

What were his failed corners like?

Over-hit, did not beat first man, beach balls?

I definitely see the potential, he just needs to relax a bit. Also, if he's gonna be taking our corners I really hope he works on them. All of them except the goal were pretty poor. 

What were his failed corners like?

Over-hit, did not beat first man, beach balls?

Every one but the goal were embarassing. Every corner I took in 7-a-side today was world-class in comparison.

I like his ambition - he wants to do something every time he gets the ball -if he learns when he needs to do that and when he should keep it simple, he could be very goo. He's a project for the coaching staff, a nice challenge for them to have.

• Like 1

I really like him. He's the closest we've had to a flair player since the likes of Berger( who I thought was excellent and could have done a lot more for us if not frozen out by meat-and-potatoes MON). Just work on the corners or give them back to Westwood

I really like him. He's the closest we've had to a flair player since the likes of Berger( who I thought was excellent and could have done a lot more for us if not frozen out by meat-and-potatoes MON). Just work on the corners or give them back to Westwood

Berger was a strange one. He had injury woes early on, was sent to Stoke (shudder) to gain fitness then did well towards the end of the season. signed on for another year then as you rightly say was frozen out to a degree. Then there was the Gareth Barry thing, though he was 35 by that point. 

Lovely footballer though.

I don't know if any one else noticed, but he took corners on both sides of the pitch... with different feet! Very handy to have a both footed player on the pitch.

not worth a crap when the corners are as bad as they were yesterday though

He looked good at times.. and too selfish at other times.. i remember him slicing through the middle and had Benteke on the left and Wiemann on the right and he chose to blast it. Wrong option. Did that a few times. Put that down to eagerness to impress or selfishness. Time will tell. Im sure Lambo will let him have it if he keeps doing it.

Ive seen a few pre season games and I think hes looked as sharp as ive seen. Against Malaga he wasn't that involved but I think he will have a great season.

Ive seen a few pre season games and I think hes looked as sharp as ive seen. Against Malaga he wasn't that involved but I think he will have a great season.
Showed quick clever feet yesterday and looks up for it. I expect a big season from him, not in goals but maturity - he's adapting his game as Benteke and Weimann look more likely scorers and he now out of position. His starting place is not a given and I expect him to fight like hell: cut him and he bleeds claret and blue, he is Mr Aston Villa.

I've not been his biggest fan over the years but he's really caught my eye under Lambert.

Showed quick clever feet yesterday and looks up for it. I expect a big season from him, not in goals but maturity - he's adapting his game as Benteke and Weimann look more likely scorers and he now out of position. His starting place is not a given and I expect him to fight like hell: cut him and he bleeds claret and blue, he is Mr Aston Villa.

I've not been his biggest fan over the years but he's really caught my eye under Lambert.

Agree. Whatever you think of Gabby as a player, not loving him is a crime against Aston Villa. Simple.

I don't know if any one else noticed, but he took corners on both sides of the pitch... with different feet! Very handy to have a both footed player on the pitch.

not worth a crap when the corners are as bad as they were yesterday though

Well, yeah, MOST of them were crap, really crap. But the one we scored from was perfect. That seems to be Tonev in a nutshell so far.

Don't know why he came in for so much stick yesterday. Ok, he was'nt brilliant, but he was keen to get involved with every move and the times he did spot the pass it was mostly to his man. The corners were a bit wayward, but we scored from one ffs and thats more than could be usually said when the wee un was taking them.

He won't start too many, I dare say, but he could be useful coming off the bench.

• Like 2

He got caught dwelling on the ball dithering countless times so I have no idea what you're talking about quick clever feet. If anything he was the opposite. No one lost possession yesterday as much as Gabby, not even close. I see that it is a crime to say something bad about Gabby. To some he can do know wrong 

He got caught dwelling on the ball dithering countless times so I have no idea what you're talking about quick clever feet. If anything he was the opposite. No one lost possession yesterday as much as Gabby, not even close. I see that it is a crime to say something bad about Gabby. To some he can do know wrong 

You don't really like Gabby do you? :)

Â