Aleksander Tonev

HalfTimePost

What did you guys think of Tonev today? I liked him more after all the YouTube clips than I do now. Now I think he thinks he's better than he is. He tries to be a hero and score by himself. He has no connection with his teammates on the attack. When he doesn't shoot he has no idea what to do with the ball, which result in silly passes. I thought he was very disappointing, and in a kind of a way that I don't think it will turn around. He's just not good enough for the role he's seeking.

He's had a disjointed pre season and about 20 minutes in the Premier League. I can't believe what I'm reading. You're actually writing him off already! If he'd scored one of those thirty yarders everyone would be raving about him.

The players are clearly under instructions to have a go from distance a lot more. He looked lively and confident. I like that. Looks like a great weapon to have in the squad, especially from the bench.

• Like 1

I certainly don't think he is ready to play through the middle but still think he could be dangerous if brought on to replace one of our wide forwards late in games just like today. Unfortunately Liverpool made it difficult for us to play with any real fluidity but I do recall him getting to the line quite easily against Enrique.

As with all our new players let us give him time and also remember that he can't speak English (although is learning and pretty fast apparently).

I'd like to see him get a start, either against Rotherham or maybe Norwich or Newcastle. I don't think he had enough time today to settle in to the game (which is not to say I think he should have started today -- vs. Liverpool wouldn't have been the right game for it, it wasn't for Bacuna either). He is pretty desperate to get that first goal, he needs to relax and focus on his passing and crossing for now.

What did you guys think of Tonev today? I liked him more after all the YouTube clips than I do now. Now I think he thinks he's better than he is. He tries to be a hero and score by himself. He has no connection with his teammates on the attack. When he doesn't shoot he has no idea what to do with the ball, which result in silly passes. I thought he was very disappointing, and in a kind of a way that I don't think it will turn around. He's just not good enough for the role he's seeking.

He's had a disjointed pre season and about 20 minutes in the Premier League. I can't believe what I'm reading. You're actually writing him off already! If he'd scored one of those thirty yarders everyone would be raving about him.

The players are clearly under instructions to have a go from distance a lot more. He looked lively and confident. I like that. Looks like a great weapon to have in the squad, especially from the bench.

You're right, I shouldn't write him off yet. But I don't like him at the moment. He breaks the rhythm when we're trying to press with his poor decisions and shooting from far away. I know he tries a lot and it seems there is an offensive weapon in there. But will he be able to develope into a real threat? I don't know. I'm not so optimistic after Malaga and yesterday. Granted, had he scored from distance, I'd be singing a different tune :).

When he came on, pretty quickly my feeling was that I didn't want him to have the ball.

Edited by AVTuco

players are surely going to gain more confidence playing against and beating smaller easier teams (although there isnt any of them in the league)

he should defintely start in the middle of the park next game however

First time I've seen him today. Can't say I was impressed by him shooting a free kick well wide from 35 yards when we had men in the box and there was one minute left on the clock.

In general play he seems like a cheaper version of N'zogbia and very much looks his replacement. Does seem to like taking men on and shooting when players are in space.

Still early days and logical for him to get a start against Rotherham.

Feasible a good performance against Rotherham and he could start instead of Weimann against Newcastle.

id like to see him start against newcastle too, they are a bit disjointed so i can see us taking it if we hold our shit together in the first 30 mins, weimann hasnt really impressed that much either in the first couple of games, think it could do him well not starting one game, maybe jump in in the 60th minute or something, weimann that is

I think he'll fit into the system well in wide striker role. Seems to have plenty of pace and is happy to take on a player or have a crack at goal. Hopefully he'll improve as he gets used to playing in England. As he is I think he'll be a useful squad player but not set the world alight. But he can get better. 

Â