Aleksander Tonev

HalfTimePost

I seem to remember a few fans moaning about Petrov in the early stages of his Villa career...look how he ended up being regarded

True. In the case of Petrov I think for many it was harder to see what he contributed simply because he did a lot of the positional and unglamourous stuff. It was only when Petrov wasn't in the side that many realised the whole thing didn't quite knit so well without him. It's why I think people have taken so quickly to Westwood. Because they now realise, thanks to Petrov and to Petrov's absence, that this kind of player is vital. Tonev's contributions on the other hand will be more obvious as they'll happen further forward and be more directly linked with things like goals and assists.

For me, Bradford was when i really appreciated westwood at the level i do now.

I seem to remember a few fans moaning about Petrov in the early stages of his Villa career...look how he ended up being regarded

True. In the case of Petrov I think for many it was harder to see what he contributed simply because he did a lot of the positional and unglamourous stuff. It was only when Petrov wasn't in the side that many realised the whole thing didn't quite knit so well without him. It's why I think people have taken so quickly to Westwood. Because they now realise, thanks to Petrov and to Petrov's absence, that this kind of player is vital. Tonev's contributions on the other hand will be more obvious as they'll happen further forward and be more directly linked with things like goals and assists.

I think we were fooked when Barry and then Milner left. Petrov was left sticking his thumb in a crack in a dam hoping it wouldn't burst. If Westwood is comparable to any recent former player I would say it's more Barry.

I think we were fooked when Barry and then Milner left. Petrov was left sticking his thumb in a crack in a dam hoping it wouldn't burst. If Westwood is comparable to any recent former player I would say it's more Barry.

You might be right w.r.t. the direct comparison. I was just saying many found an appreciation for that kind of player that they hadn't had up to that point, until there wasn't one in the side at all. Then all of a sudden they went "Oh hang on, those guys are quite important aren't they".

I don't know if any one else noticed, but he took corners on both sides of the pitch... with different feet! Very handy to have a both footed player on the pitch.

That's really weird and amazing. Even Mortem Gamst Pedersen, who was naturally eighty but trained lefty, only uses his left on corners. Kinda hard to be really good at it with both though, and from reviews it doesn't sound great.

I didn't know MGP held a Nigerian birth cert.

Very subtle, I love it!

I've not seen Tonev in action yet but he sounds like a carbon copy of N'Zogbia to me. Runs with the ball, loses the ball, shoots a lot, occasionally devastatingly effective. Hit and miss. Great fun and infuriating at the same time.

I like N'Zogbia so I guess I'll like Tonev too.

This thread is stupid. He did some lovely stuff on Saturday. He lost the ball occasionally but no more than Weimann. Factor in that he has only just come back from injury and has clearly had no pre-season then people need to jump the gun a little less quick. I saw lots of potential. 

And as for corners: He may have done 5/6 rubbish ones (two terrible, three just pretty bad but the sort of corners you see often...not beating the first man) but at least one was great. That's one more great corner than we had all of last season. 

The corner was an in-swinging one with his right foot, so I think that's his weaker foot? Very possible it was a mis-kick, it was whipped in so viciously. Just saying..

I thought he was pretty good, and I think he'll keep his place against Arsenal due to the fact that he was very positive. Every time he picked the ball up he was looking to drive forward and Lambert loves the positivity like that.

The corner was an in-swinging one with his right foot, so I think that's his weaker foot? Very possible it was a mis-kick, it was whipped in so viciously. Just saying..

I thought he was pretty good, and I think he'll keep his place against Arsenal due to the fact that he was very positive. Every time he picked the ball up he was looking to drive forward and Lambert loves the positivity like that.

Miss kick!

I didn't know MGP held a Nigerian birth cert.

Very subtle, I love it!

I've not seen Tonev in action yet but he sounds like a carbon copy of N'Zogbia to me. Runs with the ball, loses the ball, shoots a lot, occasionally devastatingly effective. Hit and miss. Great fun and infuriating at the same time.

I like N'Zogbia so I guess I'll like Tonev too.

He's younger than N'Zogbia too so there is time for the coaches to address his weaknesses and to smooth out his rough edges.

He's very direct and his decision making, frankly, is awful but with the right training he could be a very exciting player for us.

For now he will be a good impact player but in the future I hope he can be more than that.

Will you lot stop focussing on that part of my post. It was only a thought. I said I thought he played OK.

Rooney's overhead kick was a mis-kick. He shinned it.

It's interesting that in all the interviews for avtv and stuff the one player the staff and players keep saying they themselves are 'excited' by is Tonev. he must be doing great thinks on the training ground. For me he just needs to settle and lets this naturally flow over to the real matches because at the moment its almost as if he's trying to hard.  

Fabian Delph believes the fans will be wowed by the super skills of Aleksandar Tonev - just like the players are each day in training.

Delph thinks Tonev will be a big fan favourite in claret and blue because he offers "something special" in the squad - a genuine ability to play confidently with both feet.

Supporters have taken to messageboards to talk about their excitement at the silky skills of the midfield marauder - and Delph says the rest of the squad have been thoroughly impressed with his talents too.

He said: "I have been so impressed with Aleksandar.

"You rarely - if ever - get players who are two-footed in football these days. And when I say two-footed, I mean genuinely two-footed in that they are identical for him. He's great with both feet.

"He's very powerful as a player. He's strong. He's sharp. He's direct too and he gives us another genuine goal threat. He had two assists against Malaga.

"I think he will come on in leaps and bounds with the more game-time he gets.

"He must be a pleasure to watch for the fans because he's got something special.

"He can use both feet equally well, that's a big trait for him. He can go either way and he smashes shots with both feet.

"There have been a few times where he's lashed the ball into the net, the top corner, in training and I've been thrown back a bit and thought 'Wow, I didn't expect that.'

"I truly believe the fans should be excited about watching him play."

Tonev, of course, arrived in England from Bulgaria with little, if any, ability to speak the language.

Delph says it's now a different story after months of tutoring from player liaison officer Lorna McClelland.

He added: "He's settled in really well. We have a great relationship as a group of players. We're very close. We all interact with each other on and off the pitch. He's part of our group now. He's one of the lads.

"I talk to him all the time. I am trying to help him with the language but he doesn't seem to need it that much anymore.

"His English has improved so much over the last couple of months. He's done brilliantly. That's down to Lorna, our player officer.

"Give him a couple more months and I think he'll be fluent."

OS

James Nursey has mentioned a few times as well that Tonev is supposedly very highly rated at Villa. Im beginning to think that Tonev could be quite the dark horse this year.

As an aside, Delph comes across much better in interviews than many of our other players. I'd much rather see him giving interviews this year than Gabby

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1

Love his style of play... Will have people who say he should do this, he should do that... BUT he's only just started out playing for us... Malaga was his 2nd (?) Game for us, he has that spark of a player who can do something extraordinary like Mr Benteke!!

Â