Aleksander Tonev

HalfTimePost

I seem to remember a few fans moaning about Petrov in the early stages of his Villa career...look how he ended up being regarded

True. In the case of Petrov I think for many it was harder to see what he contributed simply because he did a lot of the positional and unglamourous stuff. It was only when Petrov wasn't in the side that many realised the whole thing didn't quite knit so well without him.

OT but I'm not entirely sure about that... I think it was mainly down to the fact that Petrov really didn't play well for a long time when came here. And also fans felt he was getting a lot of leeway from MON when perhaps other players deserved a chance.

I like the comparison to Kagawa, certainly can see it in his movement with the ball, Early days tho.

I've never known a Villa player take an inswinging corner with either foot, in fact i struggle to think of any player at all who tried it.  His inswingers with his left didn't seem very good though.

I seem to remember a few fans moaning about Petrov in the early stages of his Villa career...look how he ended up being regarded

True. In the case of Petrov I think for many it was harder to see what he contributed simply because he did a lot of the positional and unglamourous stuff. It was only when Petrov wasn't in the side that many realised the whole thing didn't quite knit so well without him.

OT but I'm not entirely sure about that... I think it was mainly down to the fact that Petrov really didn't play well for a long time when came here. And also fans felt he was getting a lot of leeway from MON when perhaps other players deserved a chance.

You might have a point about him early on, but even when he was playing well after that, people were undervaluing his contribution to the side's performance.

I don't normally buy into these interviews on the OS as theyre normally just shite, but that recent Delph one about Tonev actually makes me think this guy may have something to offer. Also love the fact that he's just as capable with both feet is useful. He didn't have a great game against Malaga and some have been quite critical of him but personally I reckon he could be an important player for us this season.

It was his first game at VP, I imagine he was a little bit nervous....but he still showed glimpses of brilliance, his corner for Vlaars goal, the ball through which lead to Benteke's penalty and his overall approach to the game was very positive. Yes, I agree, he did try to over do it at times, which lead to him losing the ball or running into a bit of trouble, but taking into consideration the amount of game time he's had over pre-season I think he did very well and will only get better as he grows in confidence on and off the pitch.

• Like 1

Fabian Delph wrote a piece in the Birmingham Mail tonight.

Headlines " Aleks will have Villa fans in Wonderland".....Delph hails the "special" arrival of wing wizard.

saying he has been amazing in training and there is lots to come from Alek.

we shall see?

• Like 1

When you shoot 15 times a match you're bound to get the odd screamer, lets wait and see. Definitely think hes a good addition to the squad but you never know, after 2-3 games i thought we'd signed an absolute donkey watching benteke so that says it all.

tbf we could do with a midfielder who shoots 15 times in a game

Well, yes and no. If they are mostly going into the stands it is really no different to giving the ball away through a poor touch or a bad pass.

Do you not think Omariqy would have said that if it wasn't so obvious and a pointless thing to say? You get second place to Morpheus in negativity :hooray:

• Like 1

Â