The Randy Lerner thread

CI

The key change for me is the scout. Randy couldn't scout the players for O'Neill or Houllier, it was just his job to give them a budget to spend and it's ridiculous how many millions in transfer fees that have been completely wiped off (think £8m for Reo-Coker and then released on a free transfer whilst in his 20s FFS, the fees for Heskey, Cuellar, Beye, Warnock, Hutton and Dunne who all look like they will be released for free). Randy is wealthy but not rich enough to donate £30m+ a season any more. I think he will spend under the right circumstances and in the right project so I suspect Lambert to be backed in January but it has to be on the right players.

Weird that you mentioned Houllier in this when none of those mentioned were purchased by him, not getting into the discussion over his managerial ability, but i actually thought his scouting network was/wouldve been good

I don't think the sale of the browns was because Lerner was desperate for cash.

Wasn't there a clause when he inherited the team stopping him from selling the browns for 10 years? As he sold it pretty much as soon as that clause ended it would suggest that the sale of the browns was something Lerner was planning for awhile.

That will be the same Michael Bradley who performed so well at Chievo last season, that he got a transfer to Roma this. Alredy making a good impression and without doubt better than some of the central midfield options we have at the club now.

• Like 1

Houllier - let's not forget Michael Bradley, Omar Cummings & Robert Pires.

I'd love it if we'd kept Bradley, he'd walk right into the Villa midfield right now, and probably be captain, as well.

I'm beginning to suspect bigjohn10s hatred of randy is all a front, a bit like pulling the hair of the girl you fancy, and his currently raising funds to have the seats in the holte end replaced with coloured ones to create a giant picture of randys face

To save me trawling back a hundred pages, has anyone heard the story that Randy sold the Browns because he's got to hand over a shitload due to impending divorce?

He's been divorced for a while now hasn't he?

Looks like he may have screwed up the Browns, screwed up his marriage and he is doing a great job of screwing up Villa. Way to go!

You really do not like this club do you?

You remind me of a certain ex-poster that used to be on here week in week out poking at every little thing negative about the club in any way they could find.

What's it like in a negative world?

• 3 weeks later...

You really do not like this club do you?

You remind me of a certain ex-poster that used to be on here week in week out poking at every little thing negative about the club in any way they could find.

What's it like in a negative world?

'You really do not like this club do you?'

What a stupid comment to make.

You really have no idea do you?

but he has certainly screwed up both sports teams he's involved with.

He certainly has.

In hindsight though should we really be surprised with how things have panned out? Simply having millions in the bank did not necessarily make Randy the right man to lead this club. It only takes a little digging to find the guy inherited his fortune from his dad. He didn’t make his own money and his lack of business skills have been there for all to see.

What did the guy expect exactly? He sanctioned us having the sixth highest wage bill in the league, whilst finishing sixth by the way, and then seemed almost in shock to find that we couldn’t sustain it. Then instead of rectifying his mistake by gradually cutting back he has been wreckless and irresponsible in cutting the wage bill now leaving us with a squad struggling to compete and facing our third season on the spin battling relegation having spent around 3/4 of the previous two seasons sitting in or around the bottom 3.

His wreckless cost cutting combined with two poor managerial appointments are what have led to us struggling for the last 2 and half years. I think the appointment of Lambert was finally a good one but the club needed major surgery over the summer and a 17 mill net spend whilst still it seems having to balance the wage bill was never going to be enough to put this club anything like back on its feet.

Major funds will be needed in January to spend on 2 or 3 players of proven quality at this level. Without it we will be relegated and the blame for that will rest firmly at Lerners door.

The Browns fans are over the moon to finally be shot of him having become sick of the guy years ago. I’m starting to feel the same.

Couldn't agree more Mark. It's an excellent post and clearly shows Lerner has been a terrible owner so far.

To allow the wages to balloon like he did with clearly no thought of anything long term was poor. To cut back at the rate he did combined with two awful managerial appointments was shocking.

And like you say, how many of the browns fans are really bothered he's gone?

To save me trawling back a hundred pages, has anyone heard the story that Randy sold the Browns because he's got to hand over a shitload due to impending divorce?

Reminds me of that episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm - where Larry's divorce lawyer loses his mate the Dodgers.

Â