The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I sincerely hope this is true. Lord knows we need it.

Show me the money: Lambert will ask Villa owner for funds to back the talk.

Paul Lambert will ask Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner for fresh funds at next month’s transfer summit. Lambert has seen his new-look Villa side win only one league game despite eight players arriving in the summer. Lambert has a mandate from Lerner to overhaul the club by recruiting promising young players. And the Scot wants to make further ­additions when the transfer window opens in January.

Lambert said: “The chairman has got the club at heart. I speak with him nearly all the time, have a good relationship with him, and he will come over in a couple of weeks time.”

But Lambert has played down fears the club could get relegated while he rebuilds. He added: “They won’t go down – I always have belief in the team.”

What has me concerned is that it says "promising young players". So more players in the mould of Lowton and Bennett? I don't think that's what we need at the moment :unsure:

Love how some people are now saying the season is going exactly how they predicted.

Who went into print predicting our worst start since 1969?

reference to my post where I said pretty much as I expected?

I don't think prem experience is what we need. We need good players, wether they've played in the prem or not.

We're not shit because of a lack of premiership experience we're shit because we have shit players. Average wank players like Holman, albrighton, Delph, Nzogbia and more who just are plain shit average footballers who aren't good enough for this level.

The problem is at this moment what decent player wants to come and join a club like ours? The only thing that's going to get them here is money and it needs to be provided this January.

I don't think prem experience is what we need. We need good players, wether they've played in the prem or not.

We're not shit because of a lack of premiership experience we're shit because we have shit players. Average wank players like Holman, albrighton, Delph, Nzogbia and more who just are plain shit average footballers who aren't good enough for this level.

The problem is at this moment what decent player wants to come and join a club like ours? The only thing that's going to get them here is money and it needs to be provided this January.

first of your posts I agree with, you're right we don't need experience, we need good players. Don't think Holman, albrighton, Delph, Nzogbia are up to it, all average to poor at the moment and interestingly not Lambert signings. Randy must invest in Jan and I hold faith in Lambert, all managers make a few dodgy signings but to his credit so far the majority of his have been ok, I think Vlaar and Benteke in particular are good signings, think with better players around him KEA's quality will show more than it is at the moment and I think Lowton has been excellent considering where he has come from, same way a bit more quality throughout the team and infornt of him and I think he too will shine, Albrighton and Holman I see alot of people saying they work really hard for the team but sorry not enough quality in either of them as I can see, fairs dues to Holman he's been involved in a few things like the build up to the goal on sat but for me not a great player, not enough end product.

Well PL is hardly going to come out and say we need to spend 100m on 4 world class players is he?

Think back to players like Johnson at boro, Milner at Newcastle, Bale at Southampton etc. This is the type of promising player is what he means!

We have just cleared out nearly all the mercenaries from the club and this is now the way we are going in rebuilding this club, These players only increase in value, are cheaper in wages, have more hunger to prove a point and more willing than say some that are happy to come and collect 80k a week and put in one good performance every four or five games.

Lets all look at everton. Moyes has done wonders there on a shoe string, How long has he been there? What type of players has he signed? where do they finnish every season?

That was not accomplished in a season and neither will our rebuilding project.

Randy will put his money where his mouth is along as its all benefit of the club and moving forward. He did it once in signing Milner, Young, Downing etc.. He will do it again if need be.

Well he hasn't really done so since MoN walked out.

And when so much was needed last summer he didn't provide enough yet again and now for the 3rd season in a row we find ourselves in a position where relegation looks a real threat.

Now we find ourselves in a desperate situation for new players and we're not going to be an attractive option for the quality we need.

Randy Lerner is the common theme running through the whole saga.

The manager has changed (several times) the playing squad has changed (several times) but we are no further forward.

Maybe what has not changed is the thing that is wrong.

• Like 1

Maybe, but there are plenty of clubs in the league operating within similar financial constraints to ourselves, and a lot of them seem to be doing much better than we are.

You can't really pin our current woes on any one thing or person. Our problems stem from a lack of funding, previous mis-management and an over-reliance on youth players who aren't actually all that.

Randy Lerner is the common theme running through the whole saga.

The manager has changed (several times) the playing squad has changed (several times) but we are no further forward.

Maybe what has not changed is the thing that is wrong.

The key change for me is the scout. Randy couldn't scout the players for O'Neill or Houllier, it was just his job to give them a budget to spend and it's ridiculous how many millions in transfer fees that have been completely wiped off (think £8m for Reo-Coker and then released on a free transfer whilst in his 20s FFS, the fees for Heskey, Cuellar, Beye, Warnock, Hutton and Dunne who all look like they will be released for free). Randy is wealthy but not rich enough to donate £30m+ a season any more. I think he will spend under the right circumstances and in the right project so I suspect Lambert to be backed in January but it has to be on the right players.

The key change for me is the scout. Randy couldn't scout the players for O'Neill or Houllier, it was just his job to give them a budget to spend and it's ridiculous how many millions in transfer fees that have been completely wiped off (think £8m for Reo-Coker and then released on a free transfer whilst in his 20s FFS, the fees for Heskey, Cuellar, Beye, Warnock, Hutton and Dunne who all look like they will be released for free). Randy is wealthy but not rich enough to donate £30m+ a season any more. I think he will spend under the right circumstances and in the right project so I suspect Lambert to be backed in January but it has to be on the right players.

Martin O'Neil has allot to answer for, put Villa back a long long way. Just a pity took Randy so long to figure out what he was at. Beye was by far the worst example of spending money like a kid in a sweetie shop.

To save me trawling back a hundred pages, has anyone heard the story that Randy sold the Browns because he's got to hand over a shitload due to impending divorce?

Since he sold MBNA his financial empire has crumbled due to the credit crunch, a divorce, MON and general mismanagement of funds. So The Browns sale may have been inevitable. Equally it could be bullshit.

Â