The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I would go farther and say the Dempsey news proves that Lambert had more to spend, and it is why I have no doubt we will be spending come January.

I always thought the Dempsey bid was to show Genk we were looking elsewhere, which sort of forced their hand into selling Benteke to us.

I always thought the Dempsey bid was to show Genk we were looking elsewhere, which sort of forced their hand into selling Benteke to us.

Could very well be but what if Dempsey had said yes and we didn't have the money? Lerner in the eyes of both the fans and his new manager would have been found to be both a liar and a fake. He also would have been ridiculed in the media.

No, the money was there alright and will need to be spent in January.

Could very well be but what if Dempsey had said yes and we didn't have the money? Lerner in the eyes of both the fans and his new manager would have been found to be both a liar and a fake. He also would have been ridiculed in the media.

No, the money was there alright and will need to be spent in January.

Possibly the only reason they put a bid in was because they knew he would reject it as he was holding out for a bigger club?

I also think we will spend in January. PL will tell Lerner how it is, we need investment in some more decent players to stay in the premier league

If you don't think he's to blame for individual results then how come you're always blaming him for them?

Someone else to blame? I've always maintained that Randy is far from blameless. However, unlike some I don't place all of the blame on him.

I don't blame randy for individual results. I sarcastically thank him because while he's not responsible for each individual game he is the reason that our squad can't match the majority of teams in individual games. He doesn't pick teams or formations but he's the reason this club has dropped like a stone in 2 and a half years where just surviving in the league is a success now.

Last year you blamed Mcleish, the year before it was the players and Mon and I've no doubt you'll find someone new to blame for another poor season this year.

It is pretty clear that he needs to open up his chequebook this January, and we are talking 20M minimum.

We will probably be under the relegation line in 4 games, which is inevitable given our tough fixtures, and once we are there things will be tough as ****.

• Like 1

Lerner and Lambert needs to go, both are clueless.

32k watching a dire Villa team scramble a draw at home to a very very poor Norwich team all thanks to a superb performance by Guzan.

What is Randy to do, magically open up the transfer window right now and sign players? He gave Lambert quite a lot of money in the summer who chose to sign lots of unexperienced young players rather than 1 or 2 experienced. I am confident he will give Lambert much needed funds in January and if we are properly in the shit at christmas then maybe he will spend massively (Darren Bent type signings.)

Dwight Yorke & Rednap were absolutely spot on on Sky earlier when commenting on that tripe. We have nothing.. No stars no leaders or exciting players whatsoever.. Just 15 "mr bog standards". Awful football team which surely will get relegated now. I think this has been just one gamble too many .. we were not in a position to gamble like this having luckily escaped the drop last season... You surely don't gamble in that situation? Surely you solidify things for a while with some experience? I really cannot even see January saving us this time as we will be that far adrift by then it won't matter. Imagine going into the run in this season 10 points worse off than than we were last term!! Well that is whats on the cards with our upcoming fixtures!

Disappointed & rapidly losing interest altogether this has been going on for far too long now & the excuses have run out!

What was Lerner to do? Keep control of finances maybe? Not hire houllier? Not hire Mcleish? Not sell quality players and only provide funds for poor replacements?

While he gave Lambert some cash, I'm sure he wasn't offering great wages and at times during the summer it seemed there were certainly restrictions in place.

Last summer is not the sole problem with Lerner's ownership, it's been years of awful decision making and last summer just wasn't enough to get us clearly out of the shit he got us in.

The midfield requires urgent investment because it's very, very poor, it is too easy to over power and it lacks quality going forward. We need two to come in to the immediate first team, someone who can give us a strong presence from the centre and someone who can create chances going forward, if Albrighton and Holman are charged with the task of being supply line this season we'll be in trouble, and Delph and KEA do not work particularly well together.

By todays standards £20 million is nothing, we have the smallest squad for years and also the youngest, i am sorry but the funds available should have been tripled to not spend this much is playing with fire and totally irresponsible, we have got rid of so many players on high wages that i can not believe the wages are now too high. How is it so many other smaller teams in the prem have better squads and can manage the budgets with less income. someone somewhere is lying. I can not believe PL would not have got more experienced and better players if the funds were there. To keep blaming MON for our finances is a smoke screen, we have one of europes best incomes and yet the budget of the baggies, something is just not right. we need a star player to bring the crowds in by creating a bit of excitement, someone who can change a game. To be honest most the fans in the prem want us to go down as they hate to watch us, to be fair they have a point, we really are boring. It comes to something when stoke and wigan have more exciting teams to watch. If this continues we will loose more than the £20 million from lost tv revenue as they wont want to show our games, and as for what we will loose if we are relegated is beggars belief in the way we are controlling the finances, yes randy got bitten and is wary to try again, if this is the case then he should get the hell out and let someone else who actually has a pair have a go.

3rd Manager in 3 years same results...

Same owner

If Leeds and Blose have interest to buy them so will we too many bad choices made over his period now to give him benefit of the doubt at this rate he is going to end up more unpopular than Doug

isnt there a new deal for tv money?

where clubs get a 70% increase on what they got last season?

so our main source of income increases by 70% and we decrease the squad and the payments to the players and the quality of the players

which in turn reduces the amount of people who want to see us, which also has an effect on merchendise, advertising, ticket sales and no doubt who the **** will want to watch any of our live games on the tv

maybe randy needs a re think of what the manager is and isnt allowed to do in the transfer market

we need 3 established very good players to come into our first team, a left back a centre midfielder and a winger

i wouldnt feel sad if we got downing back for around £7 million, while he is a little rat, at least he probably now knows what side his bread is buttered and at least he can cross the ball and supply the likes of bent

i dont agree that lerner should have any impact on the actual players we sign but he should on the calibre of players we sign, such as allowing lambo to sign 3 top quality ( or the best we could hope for anyway) 3 good quality players and 3 'gambles' from the lower leagues

that way we are not pinning all our hopes on unkown quantities and the youth players

learner needs to get his calculator out now and work out how much to spend this january compaired to 2 years in the lower leagues

i think 30 million is not unrealistic to spend this january if he has plans to reap the rewards of the new tv deals.

It's depressing to see us spend £5m on 2 CM's who don't look anywhere near good enough for this league, only to see a team like Tottenham spunk nearly £30m on 3 quality midfielders in Sigurdsson, Dempsey and Dembele. Yes they sold Modric but they were also expected to sign Moutinho to replace him with the £20m+ received from Real Madrid. We need more quality in our squad.

Don't suppose anybody knows of any free transfers that could come in and improve us?

Don't suppose anybody knows of any free transfers that could come in and improve us?

Hitzlsperger was on a free before Everton signed him and Reo-Coker.

I'm not saying that those two would be any great shakes particularly, just think they would have improved the current midfield we have (which is non-existent).

The biggest difference in players between the divisions is the skill and speed of thought that they have, whilst skill can be improved the football brain will not be. this is why top players are top players. they can trap a ball and move into space before the opposition player can react. they can see another players run and prepare to recieve the ball and lay it off to find the run in the blink of an eye. our players can not do this. Our players have to trap the ball then look for a pass giving the opposition players time to block off the runs. Darren Bent looks inefective in our team, is this his fault? he makes the runs and finds space constantly but the passes to him are delayed or never reach him making him look poor or as if he is not bothered. He does not turn into a bad player overnight and he has the england team selection as motivation. We have to get rid of our average players and replace with quality if we want to improve.

Â