The Randy Lerner thread

CI

RL gave us the manager we pretty much all wanted, and provided 20 million for him to spend. We made 7 signings.

And while the club is running at a loss, RL is spending his own money, so lay off him I say.

We will have it tough until January, after which a couple of new signings and slightly easier fixtures will see us regain the momentum.

RL gave us the manager we pretty much all wanted, and provided 20 million for him to spend. We made 7 signings.

And while the club is running at a loss, RL is spending his own money, so lay off him I say.

We will have it tough until January, after which a couple of new signings and slightly easier fixtures will see us regain the momentum.

Easier fixtures? who are you kidding, we have played most of the lower teams and been outplayed, why do you honestly believe we will improve? is it that the players will be 3 months older, they will suddenly start knowing how to pass and move, they will gain confidence from the christmas period.

I thought we may get better but have had not 1 reason to believe this, we need better players.

Yes we spent £20 million on 7 players, so what, we could have got 30 players from the conference for this, the fact remains that we need players who will improve the team not just numbers.

Why are we running at a loss, this I can not understand, honestly, a year ago then yes i could see why but not now, where is the money going that makes us have less to spend than the baggies and wigan. We have a small young squad now that must be on reasonable wages with only 2 or 3 players on big money. we have one of the best incomes in europe. why are we losing money, i just dont honestly get it, can someone who knows explain.

How can you regain a momentum you've never had? This season will be the nail in the coffin of us as a Premier League team. Thanks Randy, you utter cretin.

Easier fixtures? who are you kidding, we have played most of the lower teams and been outplayed, why do you honestly believe we will improve? is it that the players will be 3 months older, they will suddenly start knowing how to pass and move, they will gain confidence from the christmas period.

I thought we may get better but have had not 1 reason to believe this, we need better players.

Why are we running at a loss, this I can not understand, honestly, a year ago then yes i could see why but not now, where is the money going that makes us have less to spend than the baggies and wigan. We have a small young squad now that must be on reasonable wages with only 2 or 3 players on big money. we have one of the best incomes in europe. why are we losing money, i just dont honestly get it, can someone who knows explain.

We'll improve because, as I said, we will buy a good midfielder in January, and probably a good winger. RL will spend, just as he did two seasons ago to get DB. The basis of our squad is decent enough, we just need some imagination in midfield. We have two excellent strikers and decent backup, we have midfielders who can keep things ticking over, we have an excellent goalkeeper and decent defence, apart from one FB position. At worst we are three good signings away from being a top half team.

As for why we're losing money, it's probably because of the legacy of ageing players on star wages. That situation is improving, but we haven't yet posted an actual profit.

Once we get rid of highly paid non-performers and replace them with a couple of highly-paid players who DO perform, we will be a world away from where we are now.

£20 million for 7 players when we needed so much more and better quality and we should be thankful?

Hilarious!!

Lets face it we could be relegated and Lerner will still be backed by some.

I thought mid table mediocrity would be a failure under Lerner. That word removed is so useless that midtable mediocrity would be a success right now.

We'll improve because, as I said, we will buy a good midfielder in January, and probably a good winger. RL will spend, just as he did two seasons ago to get DB. The basis of our squad is decent enough, we just need some imagination in midfield. We have two excellent strikers and decent backup, we have midfielders who can keep things ticking over, we have an excellent goalkeeper and decent defence, apart from one FB position. At worst we are three good signings away from being a top half team.

As for why we're losing money, it's probably because of the legacy of ageing players on star wages. That situation is improving, but we haven't yet posted an actual profit.

Once we get rid of highly paid non-performers and replace them with a couple of highly-paid players who DO perform, we will be a world away from where we are now.

I am not trying to be condescending and honestly hope you are right, Trouble is if we buy a midfielder in January of quality then how many other players will go to fund this?

Regarding the money, I can see why we were in a mess but we have sold many players on top money and so it is given that we are improving.

Do we have to be in the black though before we spend again on quality rather than average players no better than what we have now?

Surely the likelyhood of relegation and the loss of money this involves should push for buying better players than we have or is Randy happy to stagnate and try and avoid relegation to keep the finances on an even keel paying back his loans to the club.

I honestly thought things would be better than this but we are now one of the premier leagues most hated teams and a laughing stock.

Lets face it we could be relegated and Lerner will still be backed by some.

When you come up with an alternative who is 1) Wanting to buy the club, and 2) Willing and able to spend as much on the club as RL, I'll join you on the Lerner Out bandwagon. Until then I don't see how you or anyone can't see that we're better off with him and the billion dollars he's just put in the bank.

If we buy a midfielder in January of quality then how many other players will go to fund this?

We haven't yet sold a decent player who didn't want to move to a bigger club. If we do sell one it will be because they want to go. RL has sold the Browns, he doesn't need the cash, and (if, let's say he wants to sell Aston Villa) he certainly doesn't need to be trying to sell a club in the Championship.

The only problem we will face in January is persuading decent players that we are on the rise. This is the same problem we faced in the summer, which is why Lambert had to buy relative unknowns. I predict that RL will overcome this by spending whatever it takes, because 1) He has a crisp new billion in the bank, and 2) Because spending will be offset by the increase in television revenue from '13-'14 onwards.

When you come up with an alternative who is 1) Wanting to buy the club, and 2) Willing and able to spend as much on the club as RL, I'll join you on the Lerner Out bandwagon. Until then I don't see how you or anyone can't see that we're better off with him and the billion dollars he's just put in the bank.

Is it Randy Learner though or the advice that he is being given, when you are being guided by money men then this takes priority over the football matters, I have felt for a while that we need someone at the club to act on Randys behalf who understands football and can guide him. I do not believe Randy is bad for the club but i do believe he is genuine when he says he wants success, what he needs though are the tools and advice to achieve this.

I would imagine a good chunk of that one billion dollars is going to go to his ex-wife. I can't see Lerner investing enough cash in January to allow us to make 4 or 5 quality signings, which we desperately need. The Bent signing was out of desperation but it was off-set by expected sales of Young and Downing the following summer. Apart from Benteke, Vlaar and Guzan I see very little to feel confident about this season.

Is it Randy Learner though or the advice that he is being given, when you are being guided by money men then this takes priority over the football matters, I have felt for a while that we need someone at the club to act on Randys behalf who understands football and can guide him. I do not believe Randy is bad for the club and he is genuine when he says he wants success, what he needs though are the tools and advice to achieve this.

He's been here for seven years! He was in charge of the Browns for longer than that, and look how crap they were for the entire time he owned them. The bloke is nothing but a spoilt little rich kid, with no idea of how to run a successful sports team.

We haven't yet sold a decent player who didn't want to move to a bigger club. If we do sell one it will be because they want to go. RL has sold the Browns, he doesn't need the cash, and (if, let's say he wants to sell Aston Villa) he certainly doesn't need to be trying to sell a club in the Championship.

The only problem we will face in January is persuading decent players that we are on the rise. This is the same problem we faced in the summer, which is why Lambert had to buy relative unknowns. I predict that RL will overcome this by spending whatever it takes, because 1) He has a crisp new billion in the bank, and 2) Because spending will be offset by the increase in television revenue from '13-'14 onwards.

"The only problem we will face in January is persuading decent players that we are on the rise"

Really!!?! You honestly think this is the only problem we'll face come january?

How about our league position, our economy, the quality of our squad, our rapidly decreasing gate figures, our inability to score, pass and defend...

The bent signing was made with the Milner money sitting in the bank and the knowledge Ashley Young was leaving in the summer.

Last January we were looking desperate and nothing came. Hopefully this January it will. Although surely it would have been smarter to spend it during the summer. We will have trouble attracting good players when it comes to January 1st.

It's not just fees though, he also needs to allow wages because let's face it, no good player is coming to villa for any other reason than money right now.

I think thats what it will take for us to stay in the division minimum

Squad needs a complete overhaul

Too many inexperienced kids not enough Power

Reo Coker may have been shit and not been able to pass the ball but he'd walk into this side based on presence alone

Â