The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Did he not just receive a very large amount of money for the Cleveland Browns?

The deal isn't even final until later today, when the other 31 NFL owners vote on whether to approve the sale. I would be shocked if Lerner gets/got a check from this before then.

Nowhere near as much as he lost a) in the credit crunch and B) as he spent trying to revive the fortunes of a formerly decent English football club

Having shed all his cash, hundreds of millions of it on their club, these fans are now showing their ingratitude.

I'm sure as fans we used to be all about class. Different era I guess.

The other thing is that it is his money not Villa's money. He doesnt have to spend on the Villa.

Agree about the different class, we used to understand that you built a team over time and gave managers time to develop it.

lambert is, but needs further backing

Its fine if he is backed to hilt but he must then bring the right players to the club. I'm not sure he has so far but we'll know more about that after Christmas and then in the January window.

Nowhere near as much as he lost a) in the credit crunch and B) as he spent trying to revive the fortunes of a formerly decent English football club

Having shed all his cash, hundreds of millions of it on their club, these fans are now showing their ingratitude.

I'm sure as fans we used to be all about class. Different era I guess.

On the fans ingratitude, did anyone force him to buy the club? When you buy a foortball club you ought to realise what you are getting into, what the club is about, what the expectations are and how much it is going to take. Then when you make announcements that we have a proud history bright future and we want to bring back the european glory days you should know that it will take a wedge to do that, and not just a tempoarary wedge. If you do not have the resources to achieve that then do not set the expectations high.

I guess what I am saying is, these were all his decisions so he takes the rough with the smooth on that.

On the class thing, I'm afraid it is a symptom of the modern game. Building success is not the way modern teams go and with that comes fans demands. It is not a class thing but a change in the game. Not saying I agree one way or the other with the changes, but that's the game we are in

Not strictly true seeing as he appointed them.

i meant MON with that as he received the massive funds, houllier and AM are totally his fault i agree and they oversaw the rapid decline but were left with progressively worse mess from the attempt to break the top 4.

On the fans ingratitude, did anyone force him to buy the club? When you buy a foortball club you ought to realise what you are getting into, what the club is about, what the expectations are and how much it is going to take. Then when you make announcements that we have a proud history bright future and we want to bring back the european glory days you should know that it will take a wedge to do that, and not just a tempoarary wedge. If you do not have the resources to achieve that then do not set the expectations high.

I guess what I am saying is, these were all his decisions so he takes the rough with the smooth on that.

On the class thing, I'm afraid it is a symptom of the modern game. Building success is not the way modern teams go and with that comes fans demands. It is not a class thing but a change in the game. Not saying I agree one way or the other with the changes, but that's the game we are in

On the point about gratitude, it's a fair one. Although you could kind of look at the reverse situation, and say "why should players thank fans for their support. They chose to go to [whatever ground and game] they knew when they bought the tickets what they were doing and letting themselves in for" and such like.

So gratitude, or ingratitude, for me is not about just what someone did, or knew they were doing, it's a human thing, a feeling, an emotion, not just a sort of transaction, and caveat emptor situation.

Yes, he takes the rough with the smooth, and he chose to do what he chose to do, eyes open. It's in my view about doing the best you can. While/if he does, then good. when/if he doesn't, then bad.

As for class, and building success, I think you're wrong, really. I think all successful sides build teams. I think there's no other way. Some use money, to save time and others use time to save money. No one I can think of really established themselves in a dot. It's always about building over time. Yes money's distorted and damaged the game, you're right there, if that's what you're saying, and it's not the game it was. Class is how you treat people. It's free and it's also valuable. Some people seem to have it, some don't.

I understand we shouldn't really be expecting money from this sale, however I would love to see at least some sort of infrastructure investment, whether it even be as little as the dugout (Don't care what people say those leather seats look good and we need to modernise as a club in every way) as well as investment in two marquee type quality signings to help drive us.

I think its about his intentions. he came to the club and pumped in shed loads of his own money to try and improve things. The amount of money he threw in *should* have been enough to make a lasting impact, but because of some errors on his part with regard to personnel and control of the purse strings it didnt pan out that way, and now he appears to want out.

All of which is a massive improvement on the previous owner.

I think he deserves a bit of gratitude for having a go. He is severely out of pocket on the deal, and I'm sure really pretty hacked off about the whole thing and the people who have let him down.

• Like 1

Class is how you treat people. It's free and it's also valuable. Some people seem to have it, some don't.

On building teams, I think we have cross wires. I think to build really successful teams to meet the expectations of the modern fan takes money, lots of it. I guess that was the point I was attempting to make

On the line I have quote from you, I 110% agree with that totally and I've seen examples of that away from football as well.

I understand a bit about the NFL but not really about the owner's influence on the side other than picking the coaches. With the draft system you can't just plow money into a team and expect them to be successful, can you? I don't hear particularly good things about Cleveland as a city, is it hard to attract big name players there?

I expect Randy to invest a bit of the money in the club but only to reinforce the blueprint that he and Lambert are following to turn the club around in a more cost-effective, maybe even German/Dutch way. I'd rather that than blowing £30m+ a season, we tried that and I appreciate Randy trying but it just won't work.

I understand a bit about the NFL but not really about the owner's influence on the side other than picking the coaches. With the draft system you can't just plow money into a team and expect them to be successful, can you? I don't hear particularly good things about Cleveland as a city, is it hard to attract big name players there?

I expect Randy to invest a bit of the money in the club but only to reinforce the blueprint that he and Lambert are following to turn the club around in a more cost-effective, maybe even German/Dutch way. I'd rather that than blowing £30m+ a season, we tried that and I appreciate Randy trying but it just won't work.

Personnel people are so important in the NFL because, like you say, you cannot just plow money in to the team. They have salary caps, revenue sharing, and a decent amount of control over player contracts (franchise tag, restricted FA, ect.).

So RL's failure in Cleveland had much more to do with who was hired than how much money he spent. That being said, most people viewed the Mike Holmgren hire as a good one and it has not worked out. Do not think you can blame someone for hiring a guy most other teams would have hired as well.

Â