The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Well as I believe we will be worried about relegation yet again for the third season in a row so do I.

Lerner spent more than I expected but I think the limitations early on in the summer have resulted in us once again having one of the worst squads in the league.

We've signed 2 players who may make a difference to the shit we've seen so far this season. And after watching the first two games anyone think that's enough?

We've signed 3 players from below the championship. I wonder if any other premiership team has ever done that in 1 window?

And unfortunately when we're struggling this season i can already see Lambert taking the blame while Randy Lerner once again remains untouchable.

The thing is expectations are so low now under this supposed good owner, that just surviving is seen as an achievement and I bet finishing top half a couple of times will be celebrated like winning the league.

Members of VT might accept the poor position we are in but watch the reaction of the fans who go to games.

I think your complaints need to be directed at the manager rather than the owner there.

We have spent more than West Ham, QPR, Swansea, Stoke and Everton. We only spent £2m less than MON's big spending Sunderland.

I think the decision to target a large number of lower league players rather than 2 or 3 proven premier league players seems to be a strategy from the manager rather than spending constraints from the owner.

The list of clubs spend can be found here

Randy Lerner and Paul Faulkner has done some big mistakes, such as hiring McShite which was disaster but at least now they have hired proper manager.

I can see the logic behind hiring Houllier; he was very apparently brought to rebuild up the team, get rid of the deadweight, set up proper scouting network and get network of contacts in the europe and it's a shame that it didn't work out. It was probably poor decision to hire someone with the health history such as Houllier had.

Lerner has again given 20 million net spending after two seasons of lowering the wagebill... we easily could be in the same situation as Pompey or Leeds but apparently we've managed to steady the ship.

I don't think Lerner is the worst owner by far, sure in the hindsight giving that much freedom to MON to buy players but I think he has learned from the mistakes he'd done with McShite and Houllier.

I wasn't Randys biggest fan when he appointed McLeish...

i can only assume he had a mental breakdown and got therapy because every decision he has made since then has been good...

Lambert will be a great manager for us and 20m net spend in his first window is very generous...

sometimes i think people think the level of signings is Randys fault...

PL has chosen to spend 2m here and 500,000 there...not Randy....

i believe PL when he says that he could have spent more

I would imagine he would have given him more money had we managed to shift Warnock and Hutton. At the end of the day Lambert has spent 20m on 8 players. Other premier league clubs have paid less for more experienced players but we have invested in young, hungry players.

Lerner has backed Lambert. Hopefully he will continue to do so. However, to moan about Lerner backing the manager when our net spend is actually quite high is, at the moment, unjustified.

If Lerner has offset the summer spending with a planned sale of Bent in January then that's a different story altogether.

Maybe Maybe Maybe.

The facts all point to Lerner no longer investing transfer funds as he firefights the fact he didnt put a wage structure in place.

If you cant see them then you are thicker than susan boyle....

So, 22m spent this window. Which is quite a lot for a man who's no longer investing, don't ya think?

Maybe Maybe Maybe.

The facts all point to Lerner no longer investing transfer funds as he firefights the fact he didnt put a wage structure in place.

So, 22m spent this window. Which is quite a lot for a man who's no longer investing, don't ya think?

(Or the rest of the Downing and Young money) but yeah.

• Like 1

Maybe Maybe Maybe.

Yes, even SuBo can see that.

Maybe Maybe Maybe.

And the net spent on the squad since MoN left is still less than the net spend on the squad during the last 3 years of evil, tight arsed Doug.

Something to keep in mind when praising Lerner for helping us fight relegation again.

• Like 1

Maybe Maybe Maybe.

And the net spent on the squad since MoN left is still less than the net spend on the squad during the last 3 years of evil, tight arsed Doug.

Something to keep in mind when praising Lerner for helping us fight relegation again.

I responded to your assertion - in the optimism thread - that a few Adam Johnson type players were what we need with my views as to why I didn't see why that made sense. I asked a couple of times why you didn't see it the same way but you haven't responded....

I just wonder why you think another 40 million or however much extra money you think we should have spent and all that comes with it is necessarily any better than what is clearly a particular plan that PL wants to follow ? There are very few Clubs that sustain such an approach or have much success with it.

Liverpool splashed cash last year and are busy cutting back this year for example. Last time West Ham did it they bankrupted themselves, last time the Golds and Sullivans did it they left Blues in a mess, Leeds destructed, Portsmouth under Redknapp, and so on. We were in for Dempsey he didn't want to come. Is Charlie Adam that great ? Dembele would never have come here. QPR have gone mental. Who is it we aren't competing with that we 'ought ' to be ?

I loved the MON years and the players we had, but even then he only thought we had the same 11 who could deliver what was expected - how much more would RL have had to spend to get that extra place or two higher ?

I would love an owner with more money to spend, but I also love the idea that we are going to have a go at things our own way without all this stupid merry go round of supposed 'top' players changing average Clubs.

Why might it not be the case that trusting the Manager to build a Team he wants to mould could be a good idea ? There are many many examples in football of Teams spending and failing, just as there ar ewith teams having youth and inexperience and failing.

The thing is the wage bill is constrained by income.

We have to assume that UEFA will enforce their Financial Fair Play Regs so is there any point hoping for a richer owner for exceeds the UEFA regs and bars us from competing in any European competition we may qualify for.

Out of interest what would those that are critical of Lerner's tenure be saying if he or a new owner spent the money on wages for us to finish 4th for example, to then be prevented from competing in the CL by UEFA? Would that constitute good ownership or would hhe be criticised for not spending withing our means?

Lambert said that Lerner would have given him more money if required. So either Lambert is lying or he is happy with his signings and backing.

Sadly, I often say things are going better than they actually are at work, simply because it is what the boss wants to hear!

I'm not making judgements on your current status within your workplace! - but I think Randy needs Lambert a lot more than Lambert needs Villa at the moment. I don't think he would lie to protect Lerner if he wasn't happy with the backing he got. Just as Rodgers was quite honest that Liverpool's owners/directors screwed things up badly on Friday re. Dempsey/Carroll.

I reckon PL was being genuine when he said that.

Randy's made lots of mistakes but he's learning from them. I'm not sure what more we can expect of him, other than discover the secret to time travel and go back and correct the cock-ups the club have made over the last 5 years. He's obviously decided the club should go on a different path based on a completely different financial model and has recruited a manager with the same values it seems. He's then backed him with funds to do his job and I expect after a slowish start, the club to grow quite rapidly again. Can't wait.

• 4 weeks later...
Tom Ross has just said he was with Doug Thursday and Doug told him that he actually sold the club for £85 million but gave back £25 million to be used towards signing new players.

Anyone believe him?

Yes I do.

• 2 weeks later...
Â