The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Worst premier league season last year and now I believe our worst start to a premier league season.

What an owner!!

I find it odd how you place the blame on anything bad that happens with regards to results/performances directly on Randy but are silent whenever anything good happens.

Will be interesting to see if you start praising him if we get a good run of results going.You talk about him as if he were the manager, but only when things are going badly of course.

The "worst start to a Premier League season" stat is pretty irrelevant anyway. We had a decent start to the season last season (certainly nowhere near our worst) yet ended up having our worst Premier League season ever. The league lasts for 38 games not 7.

To be fair, he's given Lambert 20m at the end of the day.

Yep. Hard to argue that he's not put up the cash. Lambert could have spunked it all on one big name player, but we needed to address several positions, which he has. Lerner's made some serious errors, but he's not done a thing wrong since the McLeish debacle.

I'm sure he'll spend in January too, he's fully aware of the stakes.

Hope he sells up soon. We will never be more than mediocre with this plonker in charge!

I hope he's here for a while longer to keep backing PL and at least see through the project of making us competetive again without paying out ludicrous wages that woudl have bankrupted us without his help. If he manages to do that he merits seeing it through a bit further for the next push on too.

be carefull what you wish for.

are silent whenever anything good happens.

What good things have I been silent about?

Of course he needs to take the blame. The awful way he's run this club has left us in the position we are now in and because of his shocking decisions Lambert has a big task on his hands to improve this club.

2 relegation worried seasons in a row and now more than likely a 3rd straight one to follow. Thank god Doug sold up so we could experience such highs.

The awful way he's run this club has left us in the position we are now in and because of his shocking decisions Lambert has a big task on his hands to improve this club.

The awful way he has run the club?

If he has run it awfully, what are the Venkeys or the likes of Pompey and previous Rangers owners run it like?

The awful way he has run the club?

If he has run it awfully, what are the Venkeys or the likes of Pompey and previous Rangers owners run it like?

Well quite clearly they were worse.

Doesn't mean Lerner has run the club well because you can name a few examples that are worse.

3 managers did worse than Mcleish last year, it doesn't make the way he managed the club any better.

I hope he's here for a while longer to keep backing PL and at least see through the project of making us competetive again without paying out ludicrous wages that woudl have bankrupted us without his help. If he manages to do that he merits seeing it through a bit further for the next push on too.

be carefull what you wish for.

I'm sure PL will receive modest backing to make us "competitive" again (i.e. mid-table) but Lerner will never take us any higher as he simply does not have the money. In order to establish ourselves in the top 6 again we will need to pay the ludicrous wages I'm afraid, to attract the quality players away from London/Manchester. Such is football in 2012.

(Its just a pity that MON was the one who was given the Lerner war chest; he definitely underachieved for what he was given!)

totally agree on the MON point, but i reckon the PL project's level of being competitve is aiming to be more than mid table to be fair. won't happen straight away but i think RL will back him enough for us to acheive some decent mid term goals. getting the attendences up by winning football matches playing good football for a start for example. this will help the club to increase revenue elsewhere too apart from the getting more in prize money in the premier league. then we can kick on from there with the means to sustainably give PL more money to get to the next level.

tottenham did it without paying the likes of heskey 60k a week. lets see what RL does in jan and next summer to help the project on a bit more before asking for him to sell up. even if a nutcase arab wanted to buy villa and invest hundreds of millions in the squad we'd be screwed by FFP and would be living waaaay out of our means in terms of revenue and that is dangerous.

Yeah. Damn him for hiring the manager we all wanted and then giving him a heap of money to spend in the way he saw fit. Bastard.

Yeah after hiring houllier and Mcleish. I guess we just forget that.

He gave a decent amount of money in the summer, which was a big change considering the net spend on the squad the previous two summers, but because of the awful way he's run the club we needed a lot more than what he was willing to provide in wages and transfer fees.

Once again relegation will be a worry. 3 years in a row is ridiculous for our club.

What decent owner would buy a club and through their own decision making waste millions making the club just as bad, if not worse than when they actually took over.

In any other business, if an owner did that they'd be seen as an utter failure. Yet because of who he replaced there is still the attitude of we're lucky to have him.

are silent whenever anything good happens.

What good things have I been silent about?

Of course he needs to take the blame. The awful way he's run this club has left us in the position we are now in and because of his shocking decisions Lambert has a big task on his hands to improve this club.

2 relegation worried seasons in a row and now more than likely a 3rd straight one to follow. Thank god Doug sold up so we could experience such highs.

I don't recall you praising him directly for results when we were doing well a few years ago nor do I recall you coming in here and praising him for individual wins like you often do for defeats.

Could be wrong though.

Neither of whom started this badly which is quite worrying

So? Doesn't mean Lambert's tenure overall can't be more successful. I don't know why people are making such a big deal of Lambert's start. McLeish's start was decent and certainly nowhere near our worst in the Premier League yet he was by far our worst Premier League manager overall. It just goes to show that a poor start doesn't necessarily mean things will stay poor, just like a decent start last season didn't mean things would stay decent.

Yeah after hiring houllier and Mcleish. I guess we just forget that.

He gave a decent amount of money in the summer, which was a big change considering the net spend on the squad the previous two summers, but because of the awful way he's run the club we needed a lot more than what he was willing to provide in wages and transfer fees.

Once again relegation will be a worry. 3 years in a row is ridiculous for our club.

What decent owner would buy a club and through their own decision making waste millions making the club just as bad, if not worse than when they actually took over.

In any other business, if an owner did that they'd be seen as an utter failure. Yet because of who he replaced there is still the attitude of we're lucky to have him.

Mike Ashley? The important thing is that he managed to turn Newcastle back around again and learnt from his mistakes. We're just at the beginning of our recovery. Surely you must see that Randy has made the right decisions based on correcting the mistakes of the past and should get some slack for the next couple of seasons?

I don't understand why you all want him to pump money into the club to get us high up the table. If he does that and we finish 6th it will be all for nothing as we won't be allowed to compete in Europe because of the FFP thus we will have top earners on the books just playing domestic football with no European revenue and then crash bang wallop we are back to square fecking one again. This cautious approach hopefully will work, we need to be patient and see how it unfolds.

This thing that he doesnt have the money is rubbish - Villa have money, enough to compete. It's about spending it wisely. Lots of talk on sunday at spurs that Villa will spend big in Jan and next summer.

Thing with Villa fans is, it's all want want want - yet....empty seats my lord empty seats. We dont put enough back into the club. We should be near sell out every week, but we dont and never have done.

Its a two way street.

This thing that he doesnt have the money is rubbish - Villa have money, enough to compete. It's about spending it wisely. Lots of talk on sunday at spurs that Villa will spend big in Jan and next summer.

Thing with Villa fans is, it's all want want want - yet....empty seats my lord empty seats. We dont put enough back into the club. We should be near sell out every week, but we dont and never have done.

Its a two way street.

And we would freak out if Villa started charging top 6 ticket prices.

I don't recall you praising him directly for results when we were doing well a few years ago nor do I recall you coming in here and praising him for individual wins like you often do for defeats.

Could be wrong though.

So? Doesn't mean Lambert's tenure overall can't be more successful. I don't know why people are making such a big deal of Lambert's start. McLeish's start was decent and certainly nowhere near our worst in the Premier League yet he was by far our worst Premier League manager overall. It just goes to show that a poor start doesn't necessarily mean things will stay poor, just like a decent start last season didn't mean things would stay decent.

I think Lambert will be a disaster from what I have seen from him so far. He has done nothing at all to impress and made a series of errors during his tenure so far.

Â