The Randy Lerner thread

CI

WTF. Don't talk like an idiot pal. You don't like the guy fair enough but he was not and is not an awful manager. Awful managers don't take clubs from League one to the Premier League in two seasons and then finish mid table in the Prem. All achieved on a shoe string budget.

Lambert is a very good manager. He has however taken on a club that has been on the slide for 2 and half years due to major cost cutting and two poor managerial appointments. That cannot be repaired in 3 months and will take time and major financial backing.

amen brother absolutely top notch mark

WTF. Don't talk like an idiot pal. You don't like the guy fair enough but he was not and is not an awful manager. Awful managers don't take clubs from League one to the Premier League in two seasons and then finish mid table in the Prem. All achieved on a shoe string budget.

Lambert is a very good manager. He has however taken on a club that has been on the slide for 2 and half years due to major cost cutting and two poor managerial appointments. That cannot be repaired in 3 months and will take time and major financial backing.

failed to deliver what was expected at Livingston, Wycombe and Colchester and walked out on all 3. If getting a team promoted to the top flight is your criteria then Bobby Gould, Dave Bassett, Steve Coppell and Neil Warnock are all still about.

Have you heard his remarks today? He thought we played great and were unlucky, if thats his idea of playing great he needs his head checked because he is clearly deluded

Lambert is a good manager but I think we now know he's not quite as good as we maybe thought - his tactics and selections have been a little uncertain so far.

Much more important, though, he hasn't been given the tools to do the job. We'll get nowhere with the squad we currently have. There are weaknesses all over the place. He must be given proper money to spend in January.

We were unlucky. It was very even all the way through and was finely balanced. Fulham nicked it with 5 minutes to go.

We were terrible. We didnt have a shot on target

To be fair he was given a fair bit of money to spend in the summer.

Could have done better with the £20m to be honest. Westwood and Bowry are stll baffling me, KEA and Vlaar are ropey, Lowton has done okay, Bennett looks like an accident waitinmg to happen and Benteke looks like two different people. One for Belgium and one for us. Mind you a midfield of KEA, Delph, Ireland and Holman is never going to supply much. He really needed to sort the midfield, we had 4 strkers he could have save £7.75m on Benteke and Bowry and got some better midfielders. You could argue Westwood is a waste of time too

I think what helped Lambert last season with Norwich was that they were a very tight unit, used to playing under his rules and surprised everyone like one of the promoted teams always does. He got League 1 standard players playing well above their station; I just think he's not as good as we thought and he's taken a step too far. You just can't start the season as we have, its dire. If we don't pick up any points from the next two games we are in serious, serious trouble.

As for Lerner, I wish he would just sell up now. We are going nowhere but down under him.

• Like 1

Thats just factually incorrect. We had 4 shots on target.

Don't talk shite.

depends who's stats you read, bbc says 4, guardian say 1, I personally cant remember one myself. BBC count blocked shots as shots on target

Said in another thread but £20 million, our wage restrictions is not a great amount when it was clear our squad needed so much.

I mean really, we can say what's the point in Bowery and Westwood for now but it's not like the fees and wages on them could have signed 2 premiership ready players.

It also seemed like lambert was working under restrictions and it took 2 abysmal performances to show Lerner we needed more.

I think Lambert is making mistakes but there's only one man who is to blame for the poor excuse of a club Aston Villa has become.

Said in another thread but £20 million, our wage restrictions is not a great amount when it was clear our squad needed so much.

I mean really, we can say what's the point in Bowery and Westwood for now but it's not like the fees and wages on them could have signed 2 premiership ready players.

It also seemed like lambert was working under restrictions and it took 2 abysmal performances to show Lerner we needed more.

I think Lambert is making mistakes but there's only one man who is to blame for the poor excuse of a club Aston Villa has become.

Thing is though other teams are a lot more solid without having to spend fortunes.... Take Albion for instance they don't spend 30m in a summer

• Like 1

Thing is though other teams are a lot more solid without having to spend fortunes.... Take Albion for instance they don't spend 30m in a summer

But neither did they have 3 years of massive disinvestment, selling off all their star players without a plan to replace them.

Nor did they have two useless managers in succession who made big mistakes with what little money was available (Makoun, CNZ, etc.)

The fall over the last two years has been unbelievable and Lerner has to take responsibility for that. We went from having our best 38 game Prem season to our worst inside two years. We went from being managed by a guy who had gotten relative success wherever he had been to being managed by a guy who was a known failure. We lost the likes of Ash, Milner, Downing, Luke Young, Friedel, Carew and due to a lack investment on both wages and transfers either didn't replace them or didn't replace them with anything like the same quality. The only surprise during those two years was the signing of Bent who for me we paid over the odds for due to finding ourselves in deep shit again something Lerner can take responsibility for having appointed an out of touch over the hill Houllier.

The above is what Lambert walked in to. He was given a net of around 17mil to spend over the summer which for me was never enough to put right the wrongs of the previous years. Due to the small budget he had to spend and the amount of players needed I think Lambert felt he had no choice but to spread the money over a number of players and that has meant we have a lot of players now trying to adjust to this level/league/country all at the same time.

What Lerner is going to have to do in January is give Lambert the funds required, both in terms of fees and wages, for the 2 or 3 proven quality signings we are going to need to ensure we stay up. If he doesn't we could well go down and if we do the responsibility for that will lay firmly at Lerners door.

• Like 1

The fall over the last two years has been unbelievable and Lerner has to take responsibility for that. We went from having our best 38 game Prem season to our worst inside two years. We went from being managed by a guy who had gotten relative success wherever he had been to being managed by a guy who was a known failure. We lost the likes of Ash, Milner, Downing, Luke Young, Friedel, Carew and due to a lack investment on both wages and transfers either didn't replace them or didn't replace them with anything like the same quality. The only surprise during those two years was the signing of Bent who for me we paid over the odds for due to finding ourselves in deep shit again something Lerner can take responsibility for having appointed an out of touch over the hill Houllier.

The above is what Lambert walked in to. He was given a net of around 17mil to spend over the summer which for me was never enough to put right the wrongs of the previous years. Due to the small budget he had to spend and the amount of players needed I think Lambert felt he had no choice but to spread the money over a number of players and that has meant we have a lot of players now trying to adjust to this level/league/country all at the same time.

What Lerner is going to have to do in January is give Lambert the funds required, both in terms of fees and wages, for the 2 or 3 proven quality signings we are going to need to ensure we stay up. If he doesn't we could well go down and if we do the responsibility for that will lay firmly at Lerners door.

The only worry I have is that we will be adrift by January. Looking at the fixtures and the squad we have, a few more injuries here and there will leave us in a lot of trouble. We have players who will be solid in years to come, but we don't have anything to steady the sinking ship NOW.

Â