U.S. Politics

maqroll

31 minutes ago, maqroll said:

In the US and Canada people use the term brown people, to denote blacks, mestizos, south Asians and Arabs. Nobody really uses the term red people anymore. 

Thanks, that's what I was trying to understand. 

33 minutes ago, maqroll said:

In the US and Canada people use the term brown people, to denote blacks, mestizos, south Asians and Arabs. Nobody really uses the term red people anymore. 

I know, I was joking. 

I think Mel Gibson said it best. 

You may take my life but you can never take my freeeedom ! 

Jokes aside there is a huge amount of people in America who hate the idea of their government forcing them to do anything. Interesting thread here about why thats an odd take to have when it comes to healthcare. 

8 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

So can anyone explain why a lot of Americans don't like Obamacare?

I think one of the reasons is that it's illegal not to have health care now, whereas before if you didn't want it you'd simply not pay for it.

Other than that i'm really not sure, it seems like a good thing to me. 

5 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I think one of the reasons is that it's illegal not to have health care now, whereas before if you didn't want it you'd simply not pay for it.

That and "why should I pay for someone else's healthcare? It's my money! That's un-American, that is. God-damned communists".

• Like 2

They've been indoctrinated to believe any government social intervention is tantamount to stalinism. They believe because it because they're incredibly stupid / functioning on the selfish belief or dream that their way out of poverty is wining the lottery, they'd rather believe in smokescreen dreams of "entrepreneurship" winning big or the lottery than collaborating on communal programs that lift everyone up. 

The only beneficiaries in reality are all the money makers who profit from the health industry. Why would they want their cartel even halfway neutered. 

**** weird libertarian turkeys.

2 minutes ago, Rodders said:

They've been indoctrinated to believe any government social intervention is tantamount to stalinism.

Yet they want to take away people's individual rights to have abortions, have trans rights or smoke cannabis.

The mental disconnect of the Republican party should be studied.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It's that political quadrant thing again. They're libertarian on economic policy, but authoritarian on social policy. 

It's a morality contradiction - the Gov't shouldn't tell businesses how to behave or what to do, but they should tell people how (not) to conduct their lives. I think it comes from religionism or something. Their invisible Sky fairy tells them stuff.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I'll have a go:

a] Many people don't understand what Obamacare is. Studies show that fully one third of Americans don't realise that Obamacare and the Affordable Care Act are the same thing. The Affordable Care Act polls better, presumably because lots of low-information voters who just know they didn't like Obama reflexively oppose the law because it has his name in it. In other words, the Republicans won the branding battle nice and early. 

b] The law is more unpopular than almost all of its individual provisions. Around 2/3rds of voters, including more than half of Republicans, want to keep the ban prohibiting insurance companies refusing to offer coverage for those with pre-existing conditions, and basically the same number like the provision that children can stay on their parents plan until the age of 26. Even those provisions which aren't popular with Republicans are mostly still popular with the wider electorate, such as the requirement for companies with 50 full-time employees to offer coverage (around 60% support). The only part of the bill that is truly unpopular is the mandate to buy insurance - the problem, obviously, is that without the mandate the entire law doesn't work. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

People don't like the mandate to have insurance and the tax penalty if they don't. They view it as Big Govt. intrusion. Other people don't like it because Fox News told them not to. Other people don't like it because it has Obama's name on it, and Obama is a Muslim from Kenya.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

Â