U.S. Politics

maqroll

While the Democrats are trying to make a big thing about Trump's men having contacts with the Russians, memories don't seem to so good as regards the Russian takeover of Uranium One, a deal which was strategically important Putin.

The New York Times records released by the Canadians indicate that the head of Uranium One gave the Clinton foundation $2.35m and Bill Clinton was invited to Russia and given $500k to give a speech, by a Russian investment company promoting the stock of Uranium One.   

Since uranium is considered a strategic asset, with implications for national security, the deal had to be approved by a committee composed of representatives from a number of United States government agencies.

Among the agencies that eventually signed off was the State Department, then headed by Mr. Clinton’s wife Hillary Clinton.

The deal put Russia in control of 20% of all uranium production capacity in the USA.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I think someone was asked have you met with russians during the election process and accidentally answered 'no' when they innocently actually meant to say 'yes, twice'.

The defence is that the question was narrowly about contact in respect of the election campaign, and that the answer given was true (if you accept that the meeting did not discuss the election, which probably can't be proven either way).

Of course that's nonsense.  Anyone with any political understanding at all, in fact anyone with any common sense, would understand that the better answer would be "I met the Russians, but not for that purpose.  The aim of the meeting was..., it took place on...at... and the outcome was..."

Anything less can only look like a deliberate attempt to deceive,  especially given the very well known sensitivity about meetings with the Russians.

If they had known the existence of the meetings would come out, it would be stupid to make such a denial rather than a simple account of what happened.

The only reasonable conclusion seems to be that they thought no-one would ever know about the meetings.  Why would anyone trust people who act like this?

6 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

While the Democrats are trying to make a big thing about Trump's men having contacts with the Russians, memories don't seem to so good as regards the Russian takeover of Uranium One, a deal which was strategically important Putin.

The New York Times records released by the Canadians indicate that the head of Uranium One gave the Clinton foundation $2.35m and Bill Clinton was invited to Russia and given $500k to give a speech, by a Russian investment company promoting the stock of Uranium One.   

Since uranium is considered a strategic asset, with implications for national security, the deal had to be approved by a committee composed of representatives from a number of United States government agencies.

Among the agencies that eventually signed off was the State Department, then headed by Mr. Clinton’s wife Hillary Clinton.

The deal put Russia in control of 20% of all uranium production capacity in the USA.

What's Uranium ?

• Like 1

So Trump is tweeting that Obama authorised a wiretap on him.  But in the US, if I understand correctly, authorisation is given not by the President, but by a federal judge on the basis of evidence of probable cause of a crime having been committed.

So, either a judge has seen evidence of criminal activity,  or else the interception was illegal.  Should be interesting to hear more.

5 hours ago, peterms said:

So Trump is tweeting that Obama authorised a wiretap on him.  But in the US, if I understand correctly, authorisation is given not by the President, but by a federal judge on the basis of evidence of probable cause of a crime having been committed.

So, either a judge has seen evidence of criminal activity,  or else the interception was illegal.  Should be interesting to hear more.

He is just distracting attention from the latest heat he was getting over Russia. 

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Trump will not last his term.

For the first time, I'm just beginning to wonder if this might be true. 

I still think it's unlikely, but the likelihood is ticking up slowly. The revelation the other day that members of Trump's wider team met Russian officials and confidantes of Putin in England, Holland and elsewhere in Europe during the final stages of the campaign seems particularly likely to blow up at some point. 

3 hours ago, jon_c said:

Trump advisor Roger Stone is having a complete breakdown on twitter. 

I'd say it's never a good look for someone in the president's circle to call a member of the public a 'stupid ugly ignorant bitch', but it definitely doesn't work when she's a] a maths professor, and b] a solid 9.5/10 hottie!

Â