U.S. Politics

maqroll

34 minutes ago, villakram said:

Errr... the republicans didn't elect Trump. The voters that they have polluted over the past X years did. The republican leadership tried pretty much every trick in the book to get rid of Trump, with no success.

Are you suggesting that because one guy is allegedly an amalgamation of Hitler/Stalin/Gacy/Bundy/Sherwood/Kissenger/Cheney that the other side get a free pass?

Not to speak for Davkaus but I don't think he said or implied any such thing. Indeed in the very post you quote he says the Democrats 'have problems' and called them 'pretty shit'. 

I think you might have misread his post. 

1 hour ago, villakram said:

Quasi meaningless... it's the same old DNC people who have thrown away things over the past 10 yrs who are in charge. He'll be sidelined in the exact same way the Hillary sidelined Bernie as soon as she possibly could.

It isn't meaningless.

They made up a position for him. They want his influence. Perez and Ellison are friends and Ellison will continue to work in congress, which he wouldn't do if he won.

In isolation it's a bad result, but looking at the entire picture, it's decent.

2 hours ago, villakram said:

and the DNC go ahead and elect Tom Perez... learned nothing and seems their strategy is to point fingers at Trump for the next 4yrs. Inept is too nice a description.

Pointing fingers at Trump is an excellent strategy, to be fair. 

4 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

He's skipping the WH correspondents dinner.

He really is the thinnest skinned individual alive. After campaigning on a ticket of political-correctness gone mad, no less.

Unsurprising.  Isn't the event traditionally one where the President makes a witty and self-deprecating speech?

He doesn't do witty, just snide and nasty.  And the idea of someone with his raging narcissism being self-deprecating is a complete non-starter.  The very idea must have brought him out in a rash.  Not that anyone could see it, under all that orange.

5 hours ago, peterms said:

Unsurprising.  Isn't the event traditionally one where the President makes a witty and self-deprecating speech?

He doesn't do witty, just snide and nasty.  And the idea of someone with his raging narcissism being self-deprecating is a complete non-starter.  The very idea must have brought him out in a rash.  Not that anyone could see it, under all that orange.

He probably still had PTSD from this

• Like 2

Love the shots of Trump in those clips.  Where most people having the piss taken like that can at least pretend to take it with good grace, he sits unmoving.  I imagine him trying to contain his seething rage, and going home to smash something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peterms said:

Love the shots of Trump in those clips.  Where most people having the piss taken like that can at least pretend to take it with good grace, he sits unmoving.  I imagine him trying to contain his seething rage, and going home to smash something.

He's so sensitive. Some say that was the day he decided to run for president, out of pure spite.

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Didn't exactly work for Hillary.

No, it didn't. But running a political campaign is different to being the opposition in a legislature. 

During Obama's time, Republicans came up with almost no new policies of their own, and certainly didn't really come up with a new vision for the country. They simply said 'no', and it did them the world of good. 

16 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

It isn't meaningless.

They made up a position for him. They want his influence. Perez and Ellison are friends and Ellison will continue to work in congress, which he wouldn't do if he won.

In isolation it's a bad result, but looking at the entire picture, it's decent.

That is how it looks. However, I am interpreting it in terms of the known previous behavior of this power structure. Perez is the establishment DNC. After the presidential primary Clinton made all sorts of public gestures and statements about how much she cared about Sander's positions/supporters. It came out after the election that as soon as it was possible, Sanders and his camp were cast aside and ignored. How foolish this was.

This position has been created as a sop to the Sanders wing. They are fools is they are placated by this.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, villakram said:

That is how it looks. However, I am interpreting it in terms of the known previous behavior of this power structure. Perez is the establishment DNC. After the presidential primary Clinton made all sorts of public gestures and statements about how much she cared about Sander's positions/supporters. It came out after the election that as soon as it was possible, Sanders and his camp were cast aside and ignored. How foolish this was.

This position has been created as a sop to the Sanders wing. They are fools is they are placated by this.

Clinton is nothing to do with this position. 

I truly believe that what Breitbart wanted and what Bannon and to a lesser degree Trump want is a race war. They want to reassert white supremacy, not only in America but in the UK, France, Holland, etc. I believe Bannon won't be satisfied until a form of neo-Apartheid is established in white majority countries. Rounding up brown people for expulsion from America should be a screaming wake up call to anyone who thinks that genocide can't happen again. There are people on the far right who now have incredible power, and they don't intend to do anything good with it.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, maqroll said:

I truly believe that what Breitbart wanted and what Bannon and to a lesser degree Trump want is a race war. They want to reassert white supremacy, not only in America but in the UK, France, Holland, etc. I believe Bannon won't be satisfied until a form of neo-Apartheid is established in white majority countries. Rounding up brown people for expulsion from America should be a screaming wake up call to anyone who thinks that genocide can't happen again. There are people on the far right who now have incredible power, and they don't intend to do anything good with it.

Serious question, are Mexicans regarded as "brown people" in the States? Odd if so as Latinos are of European extraction by definition. It's like calling Italians or Greeks 'brown people'.

I would have thought there were very few illegal immigrants in the US who could be described as 'brown people', simply because they can't get there.

39 minutes ago, Awol said:

Serious question, are Mexicans regarded as "brown people" in the States? Odd if so as Latinos are of European extraction by definition. It's like calling Italians or Greeks 'brown people'.

I would have thought there were very few illegal immigrants in the US who could be described as 'brown people', simply because they can't get there.

There are actually a lot, as most illegal immigration to the USA consists of visa overstays, which are primarily Asian. 

1 hour ago, Awol said:

The majority of Mexicans are mestizo, and the majority of Central Americans are mostly native blood.

Â