U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

For the first time, I'm just beginning to wonder if this might be true. 

I still think it's unlikely, but the likelihood is ticking up slowly. The revelation the other day that members of Trump's wider team met Russian officials and confidantes of Putin in England, Holland and elsewhere in Europe during the final stages of the campaign seems particularly likely to blow up at some point. 

Amazingly he is somehow becoming even more aloof and is increasingly alienating himself. I might check the odds on him getting impeached during his term, well worth a bet.  

Trump with a great bit of fake news.

If, as suspected, Trump is lying about the Obama wiretapping, could Obama sue for libel, defamation or some such?

It's one thing blaming a previous incumbent for the state of this or that but to completely make something up as scandalous as an illegal wiretap is another level.

People are speculating on twitter that Stone was drunk or off his face on something, but it seems that the tone of these tweets is entirely consistent with his behaviour over decades.

Some examples here, of which this is one small snippet.

Stone’s Violent Rhetoric: Calls For Killing Of Public Figures, Fantasizes About Media Figures Dying

Stone: Hillary Clinton Should Be “Executed For Murder.” [Twitter.com, 7/10/14]

Stone: Sen. Bernie Sanders Is A “Soviet Agent” Who “Should Be Arrested For Treason And Shot.” [Twitter.com, 4/18/14]

Stone: George Soros Should Be “Executed.” Soros is a businessman and progressive philanthropist (he has donated to Media Matters and other organizations). [Twitter.com, 3/15/14]

Stone: “Angry Citizens Should Find And Hang” Gov. Dannel Malloy (D-CT). [Twitter.com, 1/22/16

Stone: Santorum Won’t Ever Be President -- “I Will Order A Mail-Order Rifle First.” Stone tweeted: “Religious fanatic Rick Santorum will never be President- I will order a mail-order rifle first.” Stone frequently writes about the John F. Kennedy assassination; the Warren Commission ruled that Lee Harvey Oswald killed President Kennedy with a mail-order rifle. [Twitter.com, 2/3/13]  

Stone Has Fantasized About The Deaths Of Media Figures. Stone tweeted to journalist Jill Abramson, “DIE BITCH!”; tweeted about CNN commentator Ana Navarro “killing herself”; and wrote of Fox News commentator Ed Rollins: “Ed Rollins is on FOX ? If he isn't dead he should be #hack #loser #fraud.” [Media Matters5/2/16]

Stone’s Racist Commentary: “Nigga,” "Stupid Negro," “Token,” “Uncle Tom,” “Mandingo,” “House Negro”

Stone’s Tweets Include Attacks Like "Stupid Negro," "Fat Negro," "Arrogant Know-It-All Negro," “Uncle Tom,” “Mandingo,” And “House Negro.” Stone tweeted that commentator Roland Martin is a "stupid negro" and a "fat negro," commentator Herman Cain is “mandingo,” and former Rep. Allen West (R-FL) is an "arrogant know-it-all negro." He also tweeted that commentator Al Sharpton is a "professional negro" who likes fried chicken, asked if former Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson was an “Uncle Tom,” and referred to himself as a “nigga” with a Nixon tattoo. [Media Matters2/24/164/22/16]

Stone Called Hispanic And Black Commentators "Quota Hires." Stone called African-American commentator Roland Martin and Latina CNN political commentator Ana Navarro "quota hires” because they are "so dumb and unqualified that one can reach no other conclusion." He also tweeted of Navarro: “Black beans and rice didn't miss her.” He also called Martin a “token.” Stone’s comments led to him being banned from CNN. [Media Matters, 8/4/15, 2/22/166/7/16]

39 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

If, as suspected, Trump is lying about the Obama wiretapping, could Obama sue for libel, defamation or some such?

It's one thing blaming a previous incumbent for the state of this or that but to completely make something up as scandalous as an illegal wiretap is another level.

If warrants from the FISA Court exist then they will come out and Obama will end up making Nixon look a choir boy. 

If they don't exist then Trump may have been suckered into hanging himself by making these accusations - entirely plausible. 

We'll see, but in the meantime it's definitely entertaining.

3 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

It's a scandal if it's true, and a scandal if it's false. Well done, Donny.

20 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'd say it's never a good look for someone in the president's circle to call a member of the public a 'stupid ugly ignorant bitch', but it definitely doesn't work when she's a] a maths professor, and b] a solid 9.5/10 hottie!

What is making me think a bit is that the screen grab I saw of that 'stupid' etc tweet was that it had 110 likes.  110 people saw that vile tweet and thought yep, works for me. They are not alone either.  I had a scout around outside my echo chamber (the guardian website) and had a look on the Daily fail.  The comments section there is littered with people who are seemingly overjoyed that he is sticking it to the liberals.  It's in no way an overwhelming support, but it is noticeable.  How do you even begin to engage with someone who thinks like this?

2 minutes ago, Straggler said:

What is making me think a bit is that the screen grab I saw of that 'stupid' etc tweet was that it had 110 likes.  110 people saw that vile tweet and thought yep, works for me. They are not alone either.  I had a scout around outside my echo chamber (the guardian website) and had a look on the Daily fail.  The comments section there is littered with people who are seemingly overjoyed that he is sticking it to the liberals.  It's in no way an overwhelming support, but it is noticeable.  How do you even begin to engage with someone who thinks like this?

You can't.

It's the cult of Trump. How do you engage or persuade cultists?

See also, Brexit (to a lesser extent)

The world is bitterly and venomously divided.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The world is bitterly and venomously divided.

It's hard to get an accurate impression from afar, but it does seem that in the US in particular there are fairly large groupings who don't attempt to engage with each other.  The line about "alternative facts" reflects that - it sounds like quite a lot of people are receiving most of their information from very skewed sources, to a much greater degree than for example favouring a particular newspaper.  As a consequence, it seems to be fairly easy to get significant numbers believing things which are demonstrably untrue.

1 hour ago, Straggler said:

They care more about screwing over liberals than looking out for their own interests and ideals. Politics is like football out there. It's Blues vs Villa every day.

Jesus **** Christ.

"He doesn't say anything stupid. You're too politically correct"

My head hurts.

It's a cult. The cult of Trump. Dear leader. How dare you say anything about dear leader. 

Edited by StefanAVFC

5 hours ago, a m ole said:

I see he sticks to his policy of 'Don't take no for an answer' whether he's proposing laws or chatting up women.

Yup.

It's like him being told no to fisting and then proposing only using four fingers.

• Like 2

Â