U.S. Politics

maqroll

20 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Is America really a functioning democracy anymore? I'm too used to Europe where we just vote in Governments and then they pass the laws they need to. 

In USA you can barely pass any laws even if you hold both houses and Presidency. 

Anyway, Biden wins of he faces Trump and loses if he faces DeSantis. Republicans know this. 

You are not allowed to ask that question.

Trump is a danger to democracy. Hence, democracy exists. QED.

8 hours ago, Chindie said:

The US is a deeply conservative country in many respects. By which I mean it doesn't embrace change easily. It's systems are designed to ensure that situation, that to make big changes nationally you need overwhelming support and in some cases, long lasting support, which basically doesn't happen due to the divide in the country between the coasts and cities and everywhere else. On the plus side though, states can and do make more meaningful change individually - hence California and weed.

Basically the country works on the basis of things rarely causing seismic change.

Fair point. When you look at USA compared to Ireland for example. Ireland had written in the constitution abortion is illegal and that was a constitutional amendment made in 1982. Contraception was illegal in the 80s. Divorce was illegal until mid 90s. But now, it's probably one of the most socially liberal countries in the world. All the laws and Constitution changes were done quickly by massive majorities in referendums where needed.

There's a lot to be said for democracies which function to societal change where there is significant majority of opinion. You electorally need to appeal to the majority where in US you need to focus on the minority more. Money in politics is more influencial in USA than Europe too

15 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Fair point. When you look at USA compared to Ireland for example. Ireland had written in the constitution abortion is illegal and that was a constitutional amendment made in 1982. Contraception was illegal in the 80s. Divorce was illegal until mid 90s. But now, it's probably one of the most socially liberal countries in the world. All the laws and Constitution changes were done quickly by massive majorities in referendums where needed.

There's a lot to be said for democracies which function to societal change where there is significant majority of opinion. You electorally need to appeal to the majority where in US you need to focus on the minority more. Money in politics is more influencial in USA than Europe too

That is very interesting.

I always think in terms of inalienable rights when I think of a constitution and something which can't be constantly changed by referendum.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

2 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

That is very interesting.

I always think in terms of inalienable rights when I think of a constitution and something which can't be constantly changed by referendum.

What do you think an amendment is? The US Constitution is full of them.

On 23/11/2022 at 10:54, Chindie said:

The US is a deeply conservative country in many respects. By which I mean it doesn't embrace change easily. It's systems are designed to ensure that situation, that to make big changes nationally you need overwhelming support and in some cases, long lasting support, which basically doesn't happen due to the divide in the country between the coasts and cities and everywhere else. On the plus side though, states can and do make more meaningful change individually - hence California and weed.

Basically the country works on the basis of things rarely causing seismic change.

I would say the US is more of a deeply evangelical country rather than conservative. It is a 'new' world republic without an official state religion for example. That doesn't mean that a lot of them are right wing nutters though.

They are mainstreaming the idea that killing LGBTQ people is morally sound.

I really fear for the worst, and I'm someone who can pass as a MAGA type. 

I feel awful for outwardly queer people here who are seemingly at greater risk of victimization than ever before.

We are going backwards.

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

They are mainstreaming the idea that killing LGBTQ people is morally sound.

Are they? I mean a religious extremist spouting religious extremist views isn't going to make the mainstream believe murdering people is morally right.

I detest that kind of thing, but I can't believe the mainstream US public would ever be swayed by it, surely?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, blandy said:

Are they? I mean a religious extremist spouting religious extremist views isn't going to make the mainstream believe murdering people is morally right.

I detest that kind of thing, but I can't believe the mainstream US public would ever be swayed by it, surely?

Sectors of the public are already acting. See Colorado Springs last week. 

Right wing media and prominent political figures have stoked a hysteria over Trans people and drag queens. A stochastic terror campaign that is beginning to bear fruit for them. They want to kill.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, blandy said:

She doesn’t claim murdering people is morally right.

Not sure where that is coming from?

16 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

She doesn’t claim murdering people is morally right.

Not sure where that is coming from?

They are mainstreaming the idea that killing LGBTQ people is morally sound.

• Like 1

On 25/11/2022 at 22:21, blandy said:

I live in the most purple (politically mixed) of purple places in the USA, and I know its politics and its kitchen-table talk better than most, and there's no question that the far-right wackos are on the backfoot here and losing political purchase. Unfortunately, and this is similar to the UK,  a few mainstream media sources keep amplifying extremism under the guise of "exposing the truth" (they offer clickbait, basically), and the outrage hamster wheels keep a'spinning. Such violent rhetoric is legally protected speech in the USA, but so far, I see more (slow and steady) acceptance and mainstreaming of LGBTQ+ people across the whole country, which is also partly why we're seeing these reactions. For every outraged nut-job, there are dozens more small inroads. The overall movement is towards more liberalisation. I understand why people will say I'm naive, and that's understandable, and maybe necessary to say, but I feel overall more hopeful than not.       

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I live in the most purple (politically mixed) of purple places in the USA, and I know its politics and its kitchen-table talk better than most, and there's no question that the far-right wackos are on the backfoot here and losing political purchase. Unfortunately, and this is similar to the UK,  a few mainstream media sources keep amplifying extremism under the guise of "exposing the truth" (they offer clickbait, basically), and the outrage hamster wheels keep a'spinning. Such violent rhetoric is legally protected speech in the USA, but so far, I see more (slow and steady) acceptance and mainstreaming of LGBTQ+ people across the whole country, which is also partly why we're seeing these reactions. For every outraged nut-job, there are dozens more small inroads. The overall movement is towards more liberalisation. I understand why people will say I'm naive, and that's understandable, and maybe necessary to say, but I feel overall more hopeful than not.       

I think this is true. The population in general is trending towards liberalism. Trump and his MAGA-head footsoldiers are pushing moderates away from the Republican party. But the gap between the sides is widening, and the political forces at work seem to be centrifugal, at least to the right (which doesn’t make sense, but still.) And the ‘few nutjobs’ still number in the millions when you add them up. Which makes the situation scary, especially when you consider the nutters are armed to the teeth. 

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 1

Pre social media, a sewer creature like Nick Fuentes would be a totally anonymous entity, but in 2022 he is a dinner guest of a former president. 

And the regular media amplifies him and subsequently his message, and then he gets tangible power.

Â