January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

9 days ago I thought by now we'd have offloaded at least one piece of deadwood and brought in at least one combative, defensive player to make us less resemblant of a door mat every time we take to the pitch. No such luck. I know there's 3 weeks left of the window but I am worried at the seeming lack of urgency to resolve the issues.

On another note, I'd rather we put the winner of the zorb race at right back than Hutton.

3 weeks from now we could be in an almost irreparable situation in regards to relegation so I seriously hope Lambert isn't hoping to get in some experience on deadline day as it'll be too late by then. If he's going to do that he may as well just poach the best talent in the Championship right now before even they are off limits once the clubs realise we'll be their rivals next season.

Edited by Daweii

It's just insane Lambert would not bring in anyone before the Southampton game, cause ya just know were gonna lose that one with our current squad. If he don't sign anyone for the Bradford replay I will be seriously pissed, although I am a Lsmbert fan i feel he is stretching everyones patience!!!o

I wasn't aware that Vlaar (or westwood) were due to return.

haggling is all very well - but would you prefer a cb for the southampton \ WBA \Newcastle games at say £6m ? - or he arrives after the newcastle game for £5m.........?

I think you'll find that we'd save alot more money then 1m, otherwise every club would splash there entire budget on january 1st.

On Vlaar of course hes due back anytime time soon. The medical coaches expected 2-3 games out not the current situation where it feels like yonks ago. Villa's medical team are probably the worst in the prem, last season we were almost relegated because of this and petrovs absence did help either (imo every season of the past 3 years it feels as though a quarter or more of our squad players arent able to play games because of injuries), so many times their predictions of injuries are a mile off or wrong. one example could be Albrighton... he was training with a broken metatarsal for a MONTH before they found out the problem. fkin disgraceful if you ask me. My conclusion to that is we either have a ridiculously shit medical team or we're just unlucky.

I think you'll find that we'd save alot more money then 1m, otherwise every club would splash there entire budget on january 1st.

On Vlaar of course hes due back anytime time soon. The medical coaches expected 2-3 games out not the current situation where it feels like yonks ago. Villa's medical team are probably the worst in the prem, last season we were almost relegated because of this and petrovs absence did help either (imo every season of the past 3 years it feels as though a quarter or more of our squad players arent able to play games because of injuries), so many times their predictions of injuries are a mile off or wrong. one example could be Albrighton... he was training with a broken metatarsal for a MONTH before they found out the problem. fkin disgraceful if you ask me. My conclusion to that is we either have a ridiculously shit medical team or we're just unlucky.

I thought Vlaar wasn't even training at the moment?

I can't believe people want Warnock back! oh dear! Some of you must have really short memory.

He is better than what we currently have.

Are they even registered in our team of 25 seniors that can play in the premier league for us?

you are allowed to register players in Jan. if they were not registered at the beginning they can be registered now

Not sure I understand - If we have shite medical staff - who say Vlaar will be back soon - what confidence do you have thet are correct ?

Where have you got ' Vlaar will be back soon' from ? - Last I heard he wasn't even in training

I disagree. He keeps the ball well and looks an intelligent player but I don't think he helps improve us defensively or makes us better going forward and I don't think him playing makes much of a difference to our team in terms of winning and losing.

Benteke is a player who has an impact on us. Benteke can make us a lot better when he plays and can be the difference to our results.

Of the 15 goals we conceded over Christmas we only conceded 3 with Westwood on the pitch. First 3 vs Chelsea, then he got took off Chelsea scored 5. 0-0 vs Spurs, he gets taken off 4-0...

Of the 15 goals we conceded over Christmas we only conceded 3 with Westwood on the pitch. First 3 vs Chelsea, then he got took off Chelsea scored 5. 0-0 vs Spurs, he gets taken off 4-0...

Doesn't really say much though. We were raped in the first half against Spurs, the reason they did not score 3 goals had nothing to do with Westwood at all. We are amongt the worst second half teams in the league, if not the worst. That is the reason why we let in many goals after Westwood was subbed. Also, he has been subbed because he has been absolutely woeful at times.

After watching the highlights of the bradford game I feel a little sick :( so many chances created and i think if we bury them this time at villa park we always stand a chance but our defending is beyond atrocious they look honestly clueless. We better sign some defensive players with some real grit this jan and if no one gets purchased or little investment is made then lerner should be ashamed of himself because we might aswell just accept our fate in the championship. If we go down i cant see us coming up anytime soon!

There we go rant over shouldn't have watched those highlights all it does is get me worked up! Ahhh the perils of being a villa fan!

I can't stand the man, but the Warnock in midfield shout I think has some merit - when he played a few games there last season he looked OK - certainly better than we have right now and he would be within touching distance of the defence so could add a bit of value there. Maybe.

The negativity on Westwood is bang out of order for me. He does the simple stuff well, gets in the right positions and soaks up pressure off the team by retaining possession, and moves us forward. It might not be pretty or really dynamic, but it is bloody valuable and was central to our decent run. Fergie likes to play Carrick, who does something similar, and they do alright!

I think this guys injury has hurt us as much as Vlaar's.

Sorry mate, I am a Lambert and Lerner supporter but the lack of transfers is ridiculous. We have known for two months what we need. This team has just endured probably the worst 3 weeks of our premier league history? And yet here we are with no signings ten days in?

We are not fine, there are not 4 teams worse than us, we are in a heap of trouble and we need to be pressing every panic button we can find. That includes transfers and lots of them.

as you say "This team has just endured probably the worst 3 weeks of our premier league history" (with a weak squad) if there aren't 4 worse teams than us. Then why are we above these 4 teams in the league table? Yes southampton have a game in hand but are they above us no. why do those 4 teams have smaller stadiums then us? why do they have a smaller fan base then us? why does villa have the 7th wealthiest chairman in the premier league? Yes QPR are rich but some man called Mr Hughes had out done previous villa manager and brought in a huge amount of average/shit players in on stupid wages, so imo they're done and dusted.

Doesn't really say much though. We were raped in the first half against Spurs, the reason they did not score 3 goals had nothing to do with Westwood at all. We are amongt the worst second half teams in the league, if not the worst. That is the reason why we let in many goals after Westwood was subbed. Also, he has been subbed because he has been absolutely woeful at times.

He has something that our other midfielders lack totally. Composure.

I blumin well hope we're in for Moussa Sissoko, Newcastle apparantly trying to get him for a cut price according to this evenings newspapers reports, as little as £3.5m as out of contract in summer. There in just as bad form as us and only 1 point ahead of us. He would be a presense in midfield!