January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

Well instead of wondering when the hell the club are going to sign 'someone', in the meantime why don't we throw some names we'd like to see, that are somewhat realistic?

In defence I'd try and bring someone like Dawson. Would be pricey, I'd estimate about 6-8m. Would he want to come here though?

Haangeland would be another option.

If worse comes to worst, I'd try and bring someone like Aaron Hughes back from Fulham. Wouldn't cost at lot, but if it's experience we need, bring him in.

ive been sayin curtis davies - short term cheap fix - that in theory would be an easy deal to conclude. We have our easier games, Southampton, WBA, Newcastle - A quality CB could tip those games in favour.

doug ellis would never let this happen...

with the state were in at the moment, we should of been trying to sign players as of 2nd january, no excuses, get people in

were too reliant on the youngsters because money isnt being spent, so theyre either not good enough or not ready, theyre not having enough time to develop and be ready, being thrown in the deep end has starstruck most of them, look how rubbish delph and bannan are and how average (with glimpsys of promise) clark is

we shouldnt be playing more than 2 youngsters at a time, never mind more than half the starting 11, no wonder were going down

So if we did get relegated has anybody compared or got any idea of actually how much we would miss out on in new TV money as compared to how much we gain by being relegated?

.....................Benefits of relegation

A/ Contracts running down / players leaving / reduced wage bill

B/ Money saved in last few transfer windows including this one (as surely we have adopted an "absolute minimum" policy?)

D/ Parachute payments

E/ Money gained from selling players

Compared to what we would lose:

A/ Lower gate receipts

B/ Less TV coverage / Prize Money

I am seriously beginning to think that the accountants at Villa Park have calculated that we would be financially better off by being relegated. If we manage to stay up great & thats a bonus but if we go down all the biggest earners would want out, contracts run down, wage issues alleviated... Basically we sweep clean & start again?

This would explain the silence from the club, Mon walking, the selling of all our best players, the massive reduction in the wage bill at such a rapid rate, the decision to stall the ground expansion, the freezing out of Bent, the transfer policy in general & lack of movement thus far this window despite the desperate nature of things at present.

Im kinda thinking along these lines. The only doubts if that happened is why give Lambert £20m last summer - in fact why hire Lambert at all ?

a kind of half way theory - is that Lambert has forewarned the board that things might get worse before they get better - and the gullible board swallowed this - Thus they aren't concerned by a short spell out the prem - yes I know, but these are the guys that hired Houllier \ Mcleish !

(Yes i know this is tranfer speculation thread) but im becoming bored of reading so much negative bs. With Vlaar & Westwood due to be returning that means there are 4 teams below us that have weaker squads: QPR, Reading, Wigan and Southampton. If we win or draw then we're fine (above relegation). Worst case scenario... If we lose to southampton on saturday, plus wigan win we're still not out of it. We'll only be 2points behind wigan, 2points doesn't mean 10points it's pefectly do-able.

p.s Lambert leaves his Wheelin n Dealin until the very end of the transfer window because he obviously thinks thats how he'll get the most out of his budget, so quit you're whinging :angry:

I see Lambert has learned his lesson....

Oh wait, you say Dale Stephens? My confidence has just literally dropped through the floor, more money being frittered on lower league players.

I don't care what anyone says, he's building a Championship side.

I'd take Reo Coker right now however an easier choice would be bringing back Makoun, Warnock, Hutton, because none of that back four against Bradford can expect to play after hat performance.

Yup - I have zero confidence in a defense containing Clark\Baker\Bennet - its madness. I would definitley put warnock in on saturday. But then again I didn't land a £1m a year job - by promising young and hungry.....bit of politics methinks

• Like 1

(Yes i know this is tranfer speculation thread) but im becoming bored of reading so much negative bs. With Vlaar & Westwood due to be returning that means there are 4 teams below us that have weaker squads: QPR, Reading, Wigan and Southampton. If we win or draw then we're fine (above relegation). Worst case scenario... If we lose to southampton on saturday, plus wigan win we're still not out of it. We'll only be 2points behind wigan, 2points doesn't mean 10points it's pefectly do-able.

p.s Lambert leaves his Wheelin n Dealin until the very end of the transfer window because he obviously thinks thats how he'll get the most out of his budget, so quit you're whinging :angry:

I wasn't aware that Vlaar (or westwood) were due to return.

haggling is all very well - but would you prefer a cb for the southampton \ WBA \Newcastle games at say £6m ? - or he arrives after the newcastle game for £5m.........?

Sorry mate, I am a Lambert and Lerner supporter but the lack of transfers is ridiculous. We have known for two months what we need. This team has just endured probably the worst 3 weeks of our premier league history? And yet here we are with no signings ten days in?

We are not fine, there are not 4 teams worse than us, we are in a heap of trouble and we need to be pressing every panic button we can find. That includes transfers and lots of them.

I see Lambert has learned his lesson....

Oh wait, you say Dale Stephens? My confidence has just literally dropped through the floor, more money being frittered on lower league players.

I don't care what anyone says, he's building a Championship side.

It's not so much the signings he made but the academy players though. So I don't know why you're wingeing. If Stephens is better than Bannan, then we're moving in the right direction. Lets face it he probably is too.

We don't need Stephens. We don't need players that are not proven at this level. We need someone who can come in and make a difference.

If Stephens is that good, then why did Oldham ship him out on loan twice?

Lambert's transfer policy is nothing short of desperate.

Are Warnock & Hutton now back at Villa ?

Lambert may have to swallow some pride and play them

I would happily see Warnock in the team ahead of Bennett but i don't think Lowton is disgracing himself so i wouldn't want Hutton back in.

Are Warnock & Hutton now back at Villa ?

Lambert may have to swallow some pride and play them

Would rather have Lowton and Steven's tbh. Hell I'd rather put Clark or Baker at LB than Warnock and I wouldn't let Hutton anywhere near the first team even if we had no RB's.

I would happily see Warnock in the team ahead of Bennett but i don't think Lowton is disgracing himself so i wouldn't want Hutton back in.

Agree with this. I would definitely throw Warnock in there on Saturday, I'm not his biggest fan but he has experience and there's no way he could do any worse than Bennett.

I don't really get this "had no impact" thing. Westwood has had an impact. At the moment he's by far our best central midfielder. That's not saying much but it's still a positive impact. I'd rather Westwood in there than Delph.

I disagree. He keeps the ball well and looks an intelligent player but I don't think he helps improve us defensively or makes us better going forward and I don't think him playing makes much of a difference to our team in terms of winning and losing.

Benteke is a player who has an impact on us. Benteke can make us a lot better when he plays and can be the difference to our results.

9 days ago I thought by now we'd have offloaded at least one piece of deadwood and brought in at least one combative, defensive player to make us less resemblant of a door mat every time we take to the pitch. No such luck. I know there's 3 weeks left of the window but I am worried at the seeming lack of urgency to resolve the issues.

On another note, I'd rather we put the winner of the zorb race at right back than Hutton.