January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

Maybe Randy has lost his debit card? Talking of which a bit off topic but I heard a story from an old colleague of mine who did Gabbys insurance broking when he first broke into the team under MON. He told me a story of Gabby buying a Merc using his Solo card. Made me chuckle.

Tom Ross@thegoalzone

Villa boss Paul Lambert says he has a couple of players in mind to sign but it will depend on finance

I take that, coupled with Hairyhands' posts, as the surest sign yet that they are now preparing for relegation. If they were doing anything else adding another couple of signings would not be an issue considering how much the wage bill has been slashed over the last few seasons... It would be an issue however if we went down.

Why would you not add 2 players who could keep us up with the massive difference it would make to finances at this point? It makes no sense.

Tom Ross@thegoalzone

Villa boss Paul Lambert says he has a couple of players in mind to sign but it will depend on finance

That's a sobering tweet.

Most of us believe Randy needs to spend a large amount or we might be relegated. I reckon Randy's thinking he won't spend a large amount because we might be relegated.

Lambert said: “I understand the finances of it. The club cannot go into major debt. It’s got to watch itself. It’s something I will meet head on.

“ I have spoken to him. There are one or two lads there that we will try to get. A lot is dictated by finance. We need a bit of strength in the middle of the pitch.

“But prices in January can be so inflated that you can pay through the nose for someone and it’s a guy you maybe don’t want at the club.

What? equally he isn't helping the situation by not putting the funds forward.

I think two years ago he spent a wedge in January because it was unthinkable to be relegated with the overheads we had at the time. Now these overheads have shrunk relegation is more palatable, from a business sense.

He could spend a load of money this window (long contracts etc) and we could still be relegated. Austerity reigns at B6.

“But prices in January can be so inflated that you can pay through the nose for someone and it’s a guy you maybe don’t want at the club.

Eh?

Don't pay through more for a player you might not want, pay for more a player you do want.

Lambert said: “I understand the finances of it. The club cannot go into major debt. It’s got to watch itself. It’s something I will meet head on.

“ I have spoken to him. There are one or two lads there that we will try to get. A lot is dictated by finance. We need a bit of strength in the middle of the pitch.

Someone should tell him about Moussa Sissoko who's available for 3,5 million euros.

Also this:

James Nursey@JamesNursey

@stuav90 the #AVFC transfer news is mainly for tomorrow's papers. PL confirmed what I've been saying that wants new centre back & centre mid

So looks like we are after 2 players CB and CM - if they are both decent that will go a long way to helping us out. With the return of Gabby and N'Zogbia along with Ireland and Holman we do have some options going forward but it is meaningless unless we can stop conceding so many goals.

I would say HairyHands is the new MM - have we really got Richard Keys on our message board?

Hangeland (or someone similar) and Sissoko (or someone similar) and I will be relatively happy. Still think it will be tight as a ducks arse come the end of the season but enough about me...

What? equally he isn't helping the situation by not putting the funds forward.

Could possibly see it as inevitable, and that £10m spent next summer in the Championship is better spent that £15m/£20m now. I think if, and that is still an if, this is true it is madness with the increased Tv money on offer. Factor in, managers who may have taken a chance on the likes of Hutton, N'Zogbia, Ireland, see that they weren't deemed good enough for a team that was relegated, who is going to take a chance on them then? Hard to imagine a Championship team paying them the money they would demand to leave.

This is ridicolous. The level of incomptency from Lerner and Co is astounding. Do they not know what will happen to this club should we get relegated. Destined to go down if Lambert isnt backed to get his top targets.

A CB and a CM is what we'll get. No more, no less. He knows his targets, but he probably also knows that there's no need to pay 1-2 mill more for them to come today when he can have them on monday morning again. We'll scrape by on the fact that I think SOTON, Reading and QPR are worse than us. If Newcastle continues their form they'll probably also be below us once Vlaar, Westwood and Bent return.

Sissoko would be a good signing, exactly what we need. Even if he hasn't lived up to the hype, still better than most of our midfielders.

Our midfielders didn't have any hype whatsoever... and still came up short.

Of course he says this. He ain't going to say - yeah we'll sign a few, we're loaded. This doesn't mean we have funds, it doesn't mean we haven't.

I sure hope he's just talking more bollocks than truth. When you look at the prices what Liverpool had paid for their players when their club is leaking the transfer stories to public, it's no wonder that our club is keeping transfers closely kept secret.