Ashley Young

maqroll

27 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Yep. Think it was his first time back at Villa Park playing for United, he left a trailing leg and won a penalty for them.

He used to do it for us, and he was just being a professional, but it still caused a lot of bitterness.

Think that was Old Trafford about 2 seasons after he left vs Clark

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Got schooled a few times against fast wingers, the Leicester game particularly against Barnes. We are aiming for Europa/CL next season we need better. 

Hoping he'll take on more of a coaching role. 

He could still be useful for European games against lesser opponents. His experience combined with players like A Ramsey and archer could still take on a lot of teams in Europe.

I would have liked him to stay as a squad player.

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

Yep. Think it was his first time back at Villa Park playing for United, he left a trailing leg and won a penalty for them.

He used to do it for us, and he was just being a professional, but it still caused a lot of bitterness.

Jack did the same if not worse when he came here with City.

2 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Oh I hope there’s a redux redux thread. 

The rekindle love affair has ended far too soon. 

Part of it as well is that having him around, you're constantly reminded of his first spell - helps you think back to past times, when we were all a fair bit younger!

I've worded that horrendously but hope everyone gets the point.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Got schooled a few times against fast wingers, the Leicester game particularly against Barnes. We are aiming for Europa/CL next season we need better. 

Hoping he'll take on more of a coaching role. 

Wouldn't say he got schooled by Barnes tbf. Most fullbacks would have struggled against that ridiculous first touch that he took for the goal.

• Like 3

Hope he reads this thread.

Sometimes things mean more to fans than could be easily explained away, young returning was one of those moments;  It just felt right all along!

Thanks for the memories Ash. 

Sad he's leaving.
A bit surprised - but at his age, and wages (£50k a week apparently, this year), it's hardly earth shattering.

My main surprise is that he seemed very popular, and brought leadership, and top class mentality (including the shit housery) that we seem to largely lack otherwise.
I trust Emery to replace that.

And my daughter is gutted as her first ever kick about (at a very young age) was with Ash on the nursery playground, about 12 years ago. 

Good luck to a good man, and thank you. 

A long long time ago when it all began we signed Ashley Young from Watford and we could say to ourselves in our thoughts 'Ashley Young is a Villa player', but then he left for Man Utd and we could no longer say that 'Ashley Young is a Villa player',  we never thought we would be able to say it again, but years later he re-signed and once again we were able to say 'Ashley Young is a Villa player'. but soon that's coming to an end and we will never be able to say it or think it again, never be able to think 'I wonder what Ashley Young the Villa player is doing now', or simply behold him in our thoughts at all as a current Villa player.

5 hours ago, KMitch said:

I started getting into English football during the Martin O'Neill era of Villa and Ashley Young played a huge part in why Aston Villa chose me as a fan.  That stoppage time winner he scored against Everton at Goodison Park had me running around my college apartment screaming bloody murder.  To this day it was one of my favorite moments as a Villa supporter and I go back to watch replays of that goal every once in a while.  Then he was dead to me after he moved to Man United and dove against us in his first appearance for them against the Villa.  It was like someone stuck a knife in my back...  Watching someone who played his heart out for the clubs for years so blatantly cheat against you at the very first opportunity really hurt.  I really didn't want him to come back to Villa on a free.  At 36 I figured he'd be after a big pay packet before retirement, but he's completely won me over these past two seasons.  His leadership, game management, and on-field intelligence has been infectious and he gave his all for the badge again.  The bar has been so low for Villa club legends recently and while I wouldn't put him in the same category as someone I consider a true claret & blue legend like Martin Laursen, Young is up there with Alan Hutton as someone I'll always remember fondly for his service at the club.  I'll truly miss him and wish him the best.

KMitch, I love this post.. I remember that game at Everton like it was yesterday and AY was epic. I wish you’d had the chance to see us in the 90’s.. not to mention the obvious 80‘s success.. 

My empathy is because I watched NFL in the 80’s as a child and then rediscovered it as an adult in the period that MON took charge of my beloved AV.. and the Cleveland Browns chose me.. I tried to support nearly everyone else but it was only the factory of sadness that made me want religiously want to tune in any given Sunday.

For me it was what he did off the pitch in the last 2 years that I’ll remember him for.

Since probably O’Neil’s days we have lacked depth of leaders on the field, yes Mings has shown his qualities as a leader, but over the past 12 months we have seen Martinez, McGinn, Luiz and Ramsey really step up. To me that is because of Young and we will be a better team for it. 

I see why the club let him go, but he changed my view of him on his second spell at the club, not just his playing, but how he supported and encouraged the rest of the squad.

Villa Legend.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

For me it was what he did off the pitch in the last 2 years that I’ll remember him for.

Since probably O’Neil’s days we have lacked depth of leaders on the field, yes Mings has shown his qualities as a leader, but over the past 12 months we have seen Martinez, McGinn, Luiz and Ramsey really step up. To me that is because of Young and we will be a better team for it. 

I see why the club let him go, but he changed my view of him on his second spell at the club, not just his playing, but how he supported and encouraged the rest of the squad.

Villa Legend.

I second what you said.

It's right to let him go.

For me he was starting to look his age in his last few games. At 38 (which is what he'll be next season), we have to look forward.

I'm sure Emery wants to bring in a RB of his own, so space needed to be made in the squad!

He filled in with aplomb, but you could see that he started to run out of gas several games ago. 

It was an incredible second act with Villa to cement his legacy forever. 

Sadly, we need to get used to this type of dispassionate move by Emery. No room for sentimentality.

I really hope Ashley gets his coaching badges and returns to the Villa fold. He'd make an exceptional youth team coach and in time who knows? Future Villa boss? I'd love to see it. 

• Like 3

Absolutely loved the Ashley Young redemption arc.

But we will need bodies you can rely on over 40-50 games this season. If one of your key players goes down with a long term injury, your backups need to play a lot of games,  as AY did after the world cup, and it eventually took its toll.

I don't think we can necessarily afford to carry spare parts players, so as sad as it is, I suspect it's the right choice.

• Like 1

Why has not journalist written about this. As in the reasons he wasn't offered a new deal, or was one offered but on reduced terms and he was going to have less game time due to summer signings? So he chose to go to play more at another club

Would be good to know what was the reasoning 

Â