Ashley Young

maqroll

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

I dont get it.Keeping Ashley for one more season would mean that there is one less position that UE has to fill.

If we're going to bring in a new RB rather than rely on a 38 year old, then it makes sense to do it sooner rather than later.  Pointless keeping Young and bringing in another RB - that's just an unnecessary impact on squad limit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

I dont get it.Keeping Ashley for one more season would mean that there is one less position that UE has to fill.

Has to be that Emery wants a different type of RB, I assume a big RCB type player who can move into midfield and is creative on the ball. 

Young is really an attacking wing back / full back who's not getting younger. I assume they have enough detailed data on his performance levels through 90 mins and they must see some drop offs in the data to show he's not up to regular role as RB if we lost Cash for a few months. 

15 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Has to be that Emery wants a different type of RB, I assume a big RCB type player who can move into midfield and is creative on the ball. 

Young is really an attacking wing back / full back who's not getting younger. I assume they have enough detailed data on his performance levels through 90 mins and they must see some drop offs in the data to show he's not up to regular role as RB if we lost Cash for a few months. 

I wouldn't call Young an attacking full back these days at all. He's just very steady with the ability to make penetrative passes.

23 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I wouldn't call Young an attacking full back these days at all. He's just very steady with the ability to make penetrative passes.

That's because his age is catching up with him. Cash is more athletic than him these days and is a good defender. His weakness was his final ball which isn't that much of an issue given the defensive priority of the RB vs LB. So basically Young doesn't offer anything different to Cash other than his experience/leadership

I think Emery wants a certain type of player in RB the way he wanted a certain type of player in LB. 

10 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

That's because his age is catching up with him. Cash is more athletic than him these days and is a good defender. His weakness was his final ball which isn't that much of an issue given the defensive priority of the RB vs LB. So basically Young doesn't offer anything different to Cash other than his experience/leadership

I think Emery wants a certain type of player in RB the way he wanted a certain type of player in LB. 

Well I didn't say it's not because his age is catching up with him - but the fact is he's not really an attacking full back these days?

Disagree completely that he doesn't offer anything Cash does. Young is a calmer, more intelligent player, and his progressive passes are much better/much more dangerous. Cash obviously has the advantage of pace, but if Ash was 28 and not 38, he'd be our first choice comfortably IMO.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Well I didn't say it's not because his age is catching up with him - but the fact is he's not really an attacking full back these days?

Disagree completely that he doesn't offer anything Cash does. Young is a calmer, more intelligent player, and his progressive passes are much better/much more dangerous. Cash obviously has the advantage of pace, but if Ash was 28 and not 38, he'd be our first choice comfortably IMO.

Totally agree but he was a Man United and Inter Milan player winning league titles at that age and older

22 hours ago, bobzy said:

If we're going to bring in a new RB rather than rely on a 38 year old, then it makes sense to do it sooner rather than later.  Pointless keeping Young and bringing in another RB - that's just an unnecessary impact on squad limit.

Squad limit,thats exactly what I mean.Im sure that with Chambers,Cash and Young we are covered for 1 more sesason and with the money we save on "not having to buy a FB" we have more $$$ to spend on other areas ?!

On 02/06/2023 at 14:45, PussEKatt said:

Unless, we fill it with a younger " Ashley Young ", who can fill the positions he filled for a number of years to come?

Some have also already mentioned the possibility of Konsa.

For all we know, this is in fact, to make room for a new CB.

We just have to wait and see.

Ash will have been on good money.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

No post on social about his time with us yet.

I'm sure one will come but you'd have thought he'd have done one by now.

Would love to know why the decision was made (by us or him) for him not to stay on.

Notwithstanding his age it does seem a rather abrupt decision. Emery went at lengths to praise Young since he joined and Ash gave no indication he wanted to go elsewhere. They must have looked at something in the data analytics to suggest he wouldn't be able to maintain his standards for another year, but looking at it as a fan it seems a bit odd.

22 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Notwithstanding his age it does seem a rather abrupt decision. Emery went at lengths to praise Young since he joined and Ash gave no indication he wanted to go elsewhere. They must have looked at something in the data analytics to suggest he wouldn't be able to maintain his standards for another year, but looking at it as a fan it seems a bit odd.

I agree it is odd.

So, If Young was very happy here and wanted to stay, and Emery constantly praised him, then who's "they" that looked at the data analytics to decide he didn't have a future here? 

11 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I agree it is odd.

So, If Young was very happy here and wanted to stay, and Emery constantly praised him, then who's "they" that looked at the data analytics to decide he didn't have a future here? 

I would guess it's a wages issue + we have another right back lined up to replace either Young or Cash. Cash has to stay on age and quite possibly wages. 

Weren’t we tentatively linked to Fresneda a while back?

Or perhaps they think KKH is ready to be that offensive RB cover and they’re going for the more defensive RB/CB option (Simakan, Geertruida, etc) with Konsa or Chambers being the cover. 

Geertruida would be an interesting one as he can cover DM too so if we go 4141 with Bouba dropping into a CB position at times Geertruida would be able to cover that scenario. 

6 minutes ago, tinker said:

I would guess it's a wages issue + we have another right back lined up to replace either Young or Cash. Cash has to stay on age and quite possibly wages. 

Possibly.

We won't be signing two right backs to replace both Young and Cash though So not sure why Cash would need replaced?

Not forgetting, Young is naturally a left sided player. He only moved to the right hand side to fill the void after Cash got injured, and he did a great job too.

If it's wages, I would sooner we sold Digne instead and kept Young, even if for experience alone.

Anyhoo, the point I was enquiring as to the posters original suggestion of who "They" could be that possibly made the descision for Young not to stay.

47 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Possibly.

We won't be signing two right backs to replace both Young and Cash though So not sure why Cash would need replaced?

Not forgetting, Young is naturally a left sided player. He only moved to the right hand side to fill the void after Cash got injured, and he did a great job too.

If it's wages, I would sooner we sold Digne instead and kept Young, even if for experience alone.

Anyhoo, the point I was enquiring as to the posters original suggestion of who "They" could be that possibly made the descision for Young not to stay.

Think it will be difficult to shift Digne this summer with those wages, maybe he could be sold late in the window if somebody gets desperate. 

35 minutes ago, RichW said:

Think it will be difficult to shift Digne this summer with those wages, maybe he could be sold late in the window if somebody gets desperate. 

Why would we want to sell Digne? He's a quality left back.

• Like 2

Â