Ashley Young

maqroll

On 09/06/2023 at 08:34, Tom13 said:

No post on social about his time with us yet.

I'm sure one will come but you'd have thought he'd have done one by now.

Would love to know why the decision was made (by us or him) for him not to stay on.

I think he may still be on holiday? 

Like you, would like to know why he has gone. Maybe it was a contract issue. Perhaps we offered 1 year and he wanted 2? Just guessing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I think he may still be on holiday? 

Like you, would like to know why he has gone. Maybe it was a contract issue. Perhaps we offered 1 year and he wanted 2? Just guessing. 

Dunno, he did a post on Insta about having some tattoo the other day, nothing about leaving yet though.

32 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Something to do with his wages. Geezer at Shababs heard he was on £10m per week. 

Even Al-Ittihad FC couldn't afford him. 

• Haha 1

On 09/06/2023 at 08:37, The Fun Factory said:

Notwithstanding his age it does seem a rather abrupt decision. Emery went at lengths to praise Young since he joined and Ash gave no indication he wanted to go elsewhere. They must have looked at something in the data analytics to suggest he wouldn't be able to maintain his standards for another year, but looking at it as a fan it seems a bit odd.

It's probably just a normal ending tbh. Emery probably said look, I need a new RB who is a RCB as we move to a functional back three in build up for the 3 box 3. I want a player with height and recovery pace to work in the high line and needs to be skilled passer.

For this reason you'll end up competing with Cash for the games where we want more attacking fullbacks, games when we're at home and against teams who don't press allowing us free build up. This will mean significantly less game time than previous season. 

As such the wages we can offer are reduced to X but we love your versatility and leadership so we want you to stay of you're happy with the new role.

Ash said, I have a lot more to offer at the top level and I don't want to become a bit part player next season. So I'll look to move on and find another Premier League club. 

The contract offer still stands if you change your mind. Good luck Ash

3 hours ago, Xela said:

Why would we want to sell Digne? He's a quality left back.

It was in reply to the quoted post saying they’d rather sell Digne and keep Young. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I've a feeling it's not done and dusted and an offer was made. 

He's probably scouting around to see if he can get something better at a club he's happy to play at.  Maybe he'll sign later in the window, maybe not. No way he will have been offered the same wages as last year though and he won't have any guarantees of time. 

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, I've a feeling it's not done and dusted and an offer was made. 

He's probably scouting around to see if he can get something better at a club he's happy to play at.  Maybe he'll sign later in the window, maybe not. No way he will have been offered the same wages as last year though and he won't have any guarantees of time. 

He was used so often though and never really put a foot wrong. Still a bit annoyed we didn’t just keep him to be honest! 

2 minutes ago, Tayls said:

He was used so often though and never really put a foot wrong. Still a bit annoyed we didn’t just keep him to be honest! 

But he probably won't next season. 

We're obviously going to try and upgrade that position or maybe play 3 centre backs. 

I'm sure if the plans were to use him as much, even through injury we would have offered something/more. 

He'll be a year older don't forget. Time waits for no man. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

It's probably just a normal ending tbh. Emery probably said look, I need a new RB who is a RCB as we move to a functional back three in build up for the 3 box 3. I want a player with height and recovery pace to work in the high line and needs to be skilled passer.

For this reason you'll end up competing with Cash for the games where we want more attacking fullbacks, games when we're at home and against teams who don't press allowing us free build up. This will mean significantly less game time than previous season. 

As such the wages we can offer are reduced to X but we love your versatility and leadership so we want you to stay of you're happy with the new role.

Ash said, I have a lot more to offer at the top level and I don't want to become a bit part player next season. So I'll look to move on and find another Premier League club. 

The contract offer still stands if you change your mind. Good luck Ash

Was he actually offered a contract? I thought Villa just decided not to renew. I would suspect he would have been willing to drop his wages for one more year.

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Was he actually offered a contract? I thought Villa just decided not to renew. I would suspect he would have been willing to drop his wages for one more year.

The only fact is that none of us know.

17 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I'm making up what was a possible exchange. The same exchange could have been said with no contract offer.

Regarding how Young departed villa, Nigel Reo-Coker spoke to a CBS podcast and mentioned, "I must say, I've got a bit of information, but i'm going to keep it quiet to my chest, but i'm disappointed."

Seems like it was quite ruthless

• Shocked 1

42 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Regarding how Young departed villa, Nigel Reo-Coker spoke to a CBS podcast and mentioned, "I must say, I've got a bit of information, but i'm going to keep it quiet to my chest, but i'm disappointed."

Seems like it was quite ruthless

Ah so THAT'S why Purslow left. He got rid of our Ash and big daddy Nas tombestone piledrivered him out the club for it!

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Interesting.

I wonder if he was as disappointed as we were when Ash left us for United at his peak?

That's not a dig at Ash, just a reminder that ruthlessness works both ways.

good point, I just came across it on a google search of villa news and figured because reo-coker was here at the same time as young first time round, he would have some juicy info. Personally i would have given the guy another year, he played 29 times for us this year and would have been good option to have during a long season, but equally i'm sure his place will be filled by another great emery find in the squad

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Ash has given us good service during his second stint - and he has kept himself in amazing condition. To be able to play at the intensity he played at, at his age is remarkable.

That said, it seems a good place to part company, we are about to rebuild for the future and cannot carry anyone. Ash left us when he could do better, we are now leaving him now we can do better. 

If it were a choice between keeping him for sentimental reasons versus getting in a player better than he is now, then new player every time. 

Yes, he has experience and words of wisdom to offer the younger players, but we have others who can do that. 

I wish him well wherever he goes. 

So long and thanks for all the fish. 

It's a could opportunity to get an upgrade in that position, Cash kept as backup/rotation.

Â