Ashley Young

maqroll

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Why has not journalist written about this. As in the reasons he wasn't offered a new deal, or was one offered but on reduced terms and he was going to have less game time due to summer signings? So he chose to go to play more at another club

Would be good to know what was the reasoning 

I'm guessing because they don't know anything!  I hadn't heard a single media voice saying Ashley Young should be released, in fact quite the contrary.

3 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

Just proud to be the club he has the most appearances for?

Not quite. He made 247 appearances for us over his two spells and 261 for Man Utd.  He has more Premier League games for us though with 210 whereas he made 192 Prem appearances for Man Utd. 

Just now, markavfc40 said:

Not quite. He made 247 appearances for us over his two spells and 261 for Man Utd.  He has more Premier League games for us though with 210 whereas he made 192 Prem appearances for Man Utd. 

Aha that’s what I was looking at 👍

Still, proud of what he’s done. An incredible renaissance!

• Like 1

One of my fav villa players in that team this and last season, a great pro, leader and player. I was initially a little disappointed, however we need to create a pathway for our youth players to earn a chance to play and in that respect the decision makes sense.

Better for him to go out on a high too with his reputation at Villa back where it once was.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, useless said:

A long long time ago when it all began we signed Ashley Young from Watford and we could say to ourselves in our thoughts 'Ashley Young is a Villa player', but then he left for Man Utd and we could no longer say that 'Ashley Young is a Villa player',  we never thought we would be able to say it again, but years later he re-signed and once again we were able to say 'Ashley Young is a Villa player'. but soon that's coming to an end and we will never be able to say it or think it again, never be able to think 'I wonder what Ashley Young the Villa player is doing now', or simply behold him in our thoughts at all as a current Villa player.

Is this the 12" version of American Pie?

I really miss the explosive winger, taking players on, putting it in top bins.

Sad we have to get old.

I'm turning 32 on sunday and it's so difficult to lose weight compared to when I was 21... it sucks

The main thing i'm a little angry at the club for though is that we didn't know this was his last game.

If we did beforehand we'd give him a proper farewell.

4 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

The main thing i'm a little angry at the club for though is that we didn't know this was his last game.

Clearly nobody knew for certain.

Why are so many angry at the club?  For all we know there was an offer on the table for him at that time that he hadn't accepted.  Subsequently he's decided not to take it up when thy said they couldn't improve it.  Maybe there was no offer and the discussions took place over the next couple of days?

People so quick to blame the club for everything.  It was probably evil Purslow pulling the offer after originally making it no doubt.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Sad we have to get old.

I'm turning 32 on sunday and it's so difficult to lose weight compared to when I was 21... it sucks

Wait until you are in your 40s! You'll be like a space hopper. 

6 hours ago, Pinebro said:

We had one objective on Sunday and that was to win. No other distraction. If it was a dead rubber game, i'd entirely agree, but it wasn't the time on Sunday. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Sad we have to get old.

Wait till you get into your bloody 50s

still managed an hour on the assault bike earlier and 25 minutes on the heavy bag

#prettyboyhardasnails

Edited by Follyfoot

He played better this year than the previous year, so he has plenty more in the tank if he wants another season elsewhere.

A move to Luton to totally annoy Watford fans after his hints to moving back to them 2 years ago?

I thought he would have been good enough as a squad backup and experience given the hopefully planned European cup run next season, but there you go.

He would be more useful than paying Coutino to play out on loan to Turkey next season.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

He played better this year than the previous year, so he has plenty more in the tank if he wants another season elsewhere.

A move to Luton to totally annoy Watford fans after his hints to moving back to them 2 years ago?

I thought he would have been good enough as a squad backup and experience given the hopefully planned European cup run next season, but there you go.

He would be more useful than paying Coutino to play out on loan to Turkey next season.

I could actually see Everton going for him, Dyche likes signing experienced players and he'd be that sort of steady presence for them at LB that would give McNeil more licence to get forward.

Would also be a smart signing for Burnley.

Farewell sweet Prince, all the best for the future.

Nice to see this thread is the polar opposite to last year when he re signed. Shows just how good he has been this season. 

• Like 1

Until the last few months, he was a genuine candidate for player of the season. Which was ridiculous. He has had a better season than Cash IMO, and my feeling was that Emery favoured him more than Matty. So we must be brining in a new first choice right back in the summer.

• Like 2

On 15/06/2021 at 21:51, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Astonished at the negative reaction to this. Saying he doesn’t fit the model doesn’t really mean anything, it wouldn’t be bizarre to imagine they want experience in the dressing room given we’ve lost almost all of our more experienced heads over the course of 3 seasons.

Successive managers have admired him for his leadership qualities and he has just won a Seria A title. But he’s not good enough for our squad because reasons.

Dave had it nailed on page one. 

Â