Ashley Young

maqroll

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

No, I totally get the Everton fans' dismay. If we were in their shoes I wouldn't be happy with us signing a 38 year old, no matter how much he was a legend at another club. 

I suppose, but the thing is while we were initially mostly pleased because of his past success with us, most Villa fans wanted him to stay on not really because of that but because he genuinely still is a good player and a great influence in the dressing room.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mjmooney said:

No, I totally get the Everton fans' dismay. If we were in their shoes I wouldn't be happy with us signing a 38 year old, no matter how much he was a legend at another club. 

Agreed. I mean, I seem to remember a fair few who were unhappy we were signing him at 36. It worked out, but no matter what role they can play, I think most fans want to see more ambition than signing a player in their late 30s.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

He’ll be back at VP for the first home game of the season.

Good, the feeling will still be nice and fresh so he can get the send off he should have been allowed.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hornso said:

Agreed. I mean, I seem to remember a fair few who were unhappy we were signing him at 36. It worked out, but no matter what role they can play, I think most fans want to see more ambition than signing a player in their late 30s.

Thing is as well for us is he came in as back up for cash who played a lot of football and we have KKH who looked like he needed another year on loan, or at worst on the wing where we were paper thin

Everton already have colman as back up to Patterson and garner who's just started for England u21s at RB, they also have Holgate who can cover RB, so you'd guess young is there to cover mykolenko at LB and all it's really done is kicked the can down the road because what they really need is a better starting LB but at the same time they start mcneil at LB at times last season and youngs definitely a better option than that

• Like 1

I’m sad for Ash, but if Unai didn’t want anything to distract from the last game then who are we to argue. I’m glad he has had the chance to come back and ‘redeem’ himself.

58 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

😥

Legend. Its heart breaking and a real shame he couldnt say a proper goodbye and clearly its upset him too with his comment.

All the best ash you will be given a brilliant welcome on your return

Maybe on the opening day he can go all Sting, turn on Everton, rip off their shirt and unveil his true allegiance underneath.

Then he can proceed and say goodbye to us properly.

WWE WCW Sting Joins The Nwo Wolfpac on Make a GIF

90s WWE on Twitter: "24 years ago today, Sting joined the NWO Wolfpac 🤘🏻  https://t.co/8N9XWdkhwv" / Twitter

1 hour ago, Indigo said:

Really is quite poor that they were able to do a proper farewell for Steer while Young was left in the dark. He deserves better.

I suspect what it came down to was that there was absolutely no way Steer had any future at the club, but Young's future was a bit less certain. Still waiting for confirmation of transfer budgets and available targets, perhaps? 

What really irritated me was the club interviewer publicly asking him on the pitch if he wanted to stay, then us releasing him days later. There's no malice in it, but maybe the club's staff shouldn't be asking that kind of question if they're not sure there's a deal on the table, it ends up looking like a really **** shit was to treat a very good servant to the club. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Really nice twitter message from Ashley. A top player and he is one of those ex-players that will always have some found memories of those years that he spent at our club, as do we. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to show him our appreciation at our games against Everton this season.  

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I suspect what it came down to was that there was absolutely no way Steer had any future at the club, but Young's future was a bit less certain. Still waiting for confirmation of transfer budgets and available targets, perhaps? 

What really irritated me was the club interviewer publicly asking him on the pitch if he wanted to stay, then us releasing him days later. There's no malice in it, but maybe the club's staff shouldn't be asking that kind of question if they're not sure there's a deal on the table, it ends up looking like a really **** shit was to treat a very good servant to the club. 

100%. I had the feeling that Ash knew that the lap of honour, would be the last time he would be on the pitch as our player. 

We might have needed him in that final game, I think there is world where if we didn't get Europe we actually keep him around but with us being able to attract better players and offer them game time there was less room for him.

Can't tell a player "If we lose, you stay, if we win, probably not"

Â