Ashley Young

maqroll

I don’t think he should be given another season. He did a great job but you can tell he was struggling near the end and we need 2 better full backs in both positions. He did a fantastic job but it’s 2-3 million worth of wages off the bill.

I wonder whether this is also influenced by the resurgence of Mings and Konsa in so much as we have Diego also.. so may be when we want to get defensive Konsa shuffles over to allow Diego and Ty to play centre.. or we play three at the back and have attacking fullbacks on both sides of the pitch

my point being his game time would be greatly reduced

I started getting into English football during the Martin O'Neill era of Villa and Ashley Young played a huge part in why Aston Villa chose me as a fan.  That stoppage time winner he scored against Everton at Goodison Park had me running around my college apartment screaming bloody murder.  To this day it was one of my favorite moments as a Villa supporter and I go back to watch replays of that goal every once in a while.  Then he was dead to me after he moved to Man United and dove against us in his first appearance for them against the Villa.  It was like someone stuck a knife in my back...  Watching someone who played his heart out for the clubs for years so blatantly cheat against you at the very first opportunity really hurt.  I really didn't want him to come back to Villa on a free.  At 36 I figured he'd be after a big pay packet before retirement, but he's completely won me over these past two seasons.  His leadership, game management, and on-field intelligence has been infectious and he gave his all for the badge again.  The bar has been so low for Villa club legends recently and while I wouldn't put him in the same category as someone I consider a true claret & blue legend like Martin Laursen, Young is up there with Alan Hutton as someone I'll always remember fondly for his service at the club.  I'll truly miss him and wish him the best.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, catanzaro said:

I wonder whether this is also influenced by the resurgence of Mings and Konsa in so much as we have Diego also.. so may be when we want to get defensive Konsa shuffles over to allow Diego and Ty to play centre.. or we play three at the back and have attacking fullbacks on both sides of the pitch

my point being his game time would be greatly reduced

But even so, he’s still brilliant to have about the place, even if he isn’t getting as much game time as he would like. Seems a bit silly, because there is no way we are going to sign enough players to change what Emery wants in the starting line up, and also to improve our bench from what it was last season, at times.
Still annoyed by this. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1

It’s a shame he’s leaving - thought he’d have been kept around for one more season such has his contribution been this season. 

Odd that Steer got the huge send off before the game and Young didn’t. I imagine it would have been known by the club at that point he wouldn’t be renewed. 

Still, trust Emery and the club to make the right decisions and a new RB to come in. 

The nicest way of dealing with this would have been to announce it before the Brighton match and then everyone could have had a big love in with him at the final whistle !!! Would have loved to see his lap of honour 

Much as I’m going to miss Ash I’m also kinda enjoying the irony that every time we sign an “older” player like Moreno everyone complains that he’s too old at 29 - and then when we release someone fast approaching 40 for being too old we're all moaning he should have been kept around 😀

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

I trust in Emery.  He's obviously going to target a new Right back and with Cash in reserve/rotation that leaves little room for Ash. 

I'm sad to see him go and he leaves with my thanks for some great years here and brilliant memories. 

Can't believe once again people are slagging off the club with zero idea about how this played out.  I'm sure all negotiations were open and honest. 

We're an ambitious club looking up and fighting FFP. If we're squeezing the fans for every penny were not going to be giving a fair wedge of wages to a near 40 year old who will get very very limited game time. 

Squad evolution is inevitable. 

I didn’t think this has anything to do with trust in Emery. 

Comments are largely about the rather brutal way in which the club ended Ash’s second spell with Villa. I doubt very much that Emery had any hand in devising that.

It is possible to be an “ambitious club” and yet still show some class in handling issues like this.

4 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I do get the sentiments here, I do. He has exceeded all expectations this time around.

However, what I will say is this: thought he looked a bit ropey at the tail end of the season- notwithstanding his excellent from prior to this. Also, he is heading for 40.

And lastly,  I was absolutely gutted when he left us the first time around, for Man Utd, at a time when we were regular European contenders. So maybe I won't get too caught up in our lack of 'loyalty' on this occasion. 

Yep. Think it was his first time back at Villa Park playing for United, he left a trailing leg and won a penalty for them.

He used to do it for us, and he was just being a professional, but it still caused a lot of bitterness.

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

I started getting into English football during the Martin O'Neill era of Villa and Ashley Young played a huge part in why Aston Villa chose me as a fan.  That stoppage time winner he scored against Everton at Goodison Park had me running around my college apartment screaming bloody murder.  To this day it was one of my favorite moments as a Villa supporter and I go back to watch replays of that goal every once in a while.  Then he was dead to me after he moved to Man United and dove against us in his first appearance for them against the Villa.  It was like someone stuck a knife in my back...  Watching someone who played his heart out for the clubs for years so blatantly cheat against you at the very first opportunity really hurt.  I really didn't want him to come back to Villa on a free.  At 36 I figured he'd be after a big pay packet before retirement, but he's completely won me over these past two seasons.  His leadership, game management, and on-field intelligence has been infectious and he gave his all for the badge again.  The bar has been so low for Villa club legends recently and while I wouldn't put him in the same category as someone I consider a true claret & blue legend like Martin Laursen, Young is up there with Alan Hutton as someone I'll always remember fondly for his service at the club.  I'll truly miss him and wish him the best.

Sorry but Young is far more of a legend than Laursen. He only had about 1 good year with all of the knee injuries. Young played over twice as many games for Villa.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I didn’t think this has anything to do with trust in Emery. 

Comments are largely about the rather brutal way in which the club ended Ash’s second spell with Villa. I doubt very much that Emery had any hand in devising that.

It is possible to be an “ambitious club” and yet still show some class in handling issues like this.

You literally know nothing about what has happened, why he is leaving or how he's feeling about it.

• Like 2

Â