Leeds United

Qwpzxjor1

12 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I genuinely heard someone on either Sky or Radio 5 (can't remember which) a couple of hours ago talking about if Bielsa could win the League Cup for Leeds this season. 

Nope is the answer.

I would love to see Leeds get to the Cup final, where they meet, and get beaten by ... us..... so that we can, ah, oh, bugger. Maybe next year then. Bad luck chaps.

I constantly see Leeds fans on social media bang on about what a great guy their manager is and about his integrity and character sighting the goal in the game with us seemingly forgetting the spying.

Well last night he saw fit to pick a player in Kiko Casilla as captain despite his 8 game ban for being found guilty of making a racist comment to an opponent.

Great guy though, great guy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I constantly see Leeds fans on social media bang on about what a great guy their manager is and about his integrity and character sighting the goal in the game with us seemingly forgetting the spying.

Well last night he saw fit to pick a player in Kiko Casilla as captain despite his 8 game ban for being found guilty of making a racist comment to an opponent.

Great guy though, great guy.

Yeah the Kiko thing is bad. I dont know why he's in the team or who's decision it is to even allow him to be picked. Were trying to sell him but shockingly, no offers.

Don't care about the spying thing though, at all. Think anybody that does is clutching at straws and clinging onto some kind of integrity that has never actually existed in football 

6 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

Yeah the Kiko thing is bad. I dont know why he's in the team or who's decision it is to even allow him to be picked. Were trying to sell him but shockingly, no offers.

Don't care about the spying thing though, at all. Think anybody that does is clutching at straws and clinging onto some kind of integrity that has never actually existed in football 

I don’t take issue with the spying, I bet most clubs are doing it or similar or worse (see Liverpool hacking Man City systems allegedly!) but it I find it irritating when people proclaim Bielsa some virtuous being because of the goal v Villa. I’m still convinced had the spying thing not happened then he may well have had a different response re the goal but we will never know.

I just find the way Bielsa is held up as some moral giant annoying.

He is bang out of line making Kiko captain though, it’s inexcusable in my view.

34 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I just find the way Bielsa is held up as some moral giant annoying.

yep, its almost like no one knows / cares about the jobs that he walked out of, resigned from argentina, resigned from chile because he didn't like the president of the FA, resigned from Lazio because they didn't sign who he wanted, suspended at lille because he moaned so much about them selling his experienced players

would be brilliant if 2 days after the window closes he decides leeds didn't sign who he wanted and just walked off

leeds fans can declare that as never happening in a month of sundays but history points to it being a real possibility 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I know it's a tired old trope, but the early cup exit will genuinely help Leeds this season I think - their small squad, high intensity ethos doesn't need the extra games. Hull might have just kept them up.

Leaving aside the cup games thing and picking up on the later point I feel this is being over played as an issue.

The Championship is more games, more frequently and arguably physically more demanding than than the PL. The step in quality is unquestionable but I’m not so sure the step up in terms of the league is really applicable. 

23 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

The Championship is more games, more frequently and arguably physically more demanding than than the PL. The step in quality is unquestionable but I’m not so sure the step up in terms of the league is really applicable. 

True, but Leeds have never succeeded over a full Championship season - the CV break did them a real favour.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

suspended at lille because he moaned so much about them selling his experienced players

Mmm-hmm, not only that but the only real loss/bad sale from that outgoing batch was de Préville going to a direct rival, maybe Terrier as well if we're being harsh.  Look at the players that were brought in with these funds, most of whom have either gone on to form a core of the team that Galtier almost immediately turned around and damn near won the league with after picking up the mess Bielsa left behind or were picked up by bigger clubs for a tidy profit down the road (Pépé, Malcuit, Ballo-Touré, Thiago Mendes to name the biggies from that window).  A more competent coach could, did get a resoundingly better tune out of that squad and didn't go throwing his toys out the pram just because he was asked to work under a DoF/transfer committee model (that has largely proved quite successful in the following years).

I don't think anyone would deny the aspects of and approaches to coaching that Bielsa has pioneered throughout and their subsequent influence on modern methods, but the whole mythologising thing (and disregarding the times when it has gone very, very wrong under him), I find a bit bonkers.  Football media does love a character though, I guess, and if he does keep Leeds up he'd be quite rightly lauded.  Will be interesting to see how it plays out over the course of the campaign, especially if they're part of the dogfight come February.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

True, but Leeds have never succeeded over a full Championship season - the CV break did them a real favour.

True and also this is a condensed season so that also changes things. I think they will stop up but some of the hyperbole and predictions about them are ridiculous.

• Like 1

I’m sure it has been covered but I just had to jump into this thread to whinge about this ridiculous ‘rivalry’ on twitter. Why are Leeds fans so obsessed with us? Why do villa fans bite so often? It’s just ridiculous. I couldn’t give two shits about Leeds why does anyone else even care?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Spoony said:

I’m sure it has been covered but I just had to jump into this thread to whinge about this ridiculous ‘rivalry’ on twitter. Why are Leeds fans so obsessed with us? Why do villa fans bite so often? It’s just ridiculous. I couldn’t give two shits about Leeds why does anyone else even care?

Judging by this forum that goes both ways.

We seem so desperate for them to fail.

45 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Judging by this forum that goes both ways.

We seem so desperate for them to fail.

Most of what I see on here is genuine discussion as to how they will likely struggle, which given that they have just been promoted and not strengthened massively doesn't seem to be a wild opinion.

I think its the fact that official Villa tweets get clogged up with obsessed Leeds fans that Spoony is referring to. Its the sort of thing you get from Small Heath fans. I find it odd that Wolves have created some ridiculous rivalry that doesn't really exist let alone that a club from 120 miles away with no real historic rivalry has such an obsessed fan base.

55 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

Most of what I see on here is genuine discussion as to how they will likely struggle, which given that they have just been promoted and not strengthened massively doesn't seem to be a wild opinion.

I think its the fact that official Villa tweets get clogged up with obsessed Leeds fans that Spoony is referring to. Its the sort of thing you get from Small Heath fans. I find it odd that Wolves have created some ridiculous rivalry that doesn't really exist let alone that a club from 120 miles away with no real historic rivalry has such an obsessed fan base.

I see a bunch of villa fans spreading salt towards them on their twitter feed as well. Especially  when they are losing.

It goes both ways.

Just now, villalad21 said:

I see a bunch of villa fans spreading salt towards them on their twitter feed as well. Especially  when they are losing.

It goes both ways.

That could well be the case - if I'm being honest I don't know why I'd ever look at their Twitter feed but each to their own I suppose. 

Just seems to be a large number of Leeds fans as well as Wolves on any tweet posted by Villa. Just seems a bit odd. You don't get Southampton, Brighton or Palace fans doing the same thing for example.

24 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

That could well be the case - if I'm being honest I don't know why I'd ever look at their Twitter feed but each to their own I suppose. 

Just seems to be a large number of Leeds fans as well as Wolves on any tweet posted by Villa. Just seems a bit odd. You don't get Southampton, Brighton or Palace fans doing the same thing for example.

those are generally speaking, 'nicer' fanbases though. meaning more family clubs. leeds fans tend to pop up on any sporting facebook group. i don't detect much towards us particularly, but i think they tend to target clubs with big, non-touristy fanbases which pretty much just leaves us and newcastle. they're proper football fans and don't tend to see them throwing many barbs towards some man u fan from overseas, but they like to banter with other proper football clubs. they give it out, but i do think there's a bit of respect there because we are similar in terms of size

and wolves' focus will shift back to baggies now that they're promoted

Â