Leeds United

Qwpzxjor1

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Maybe but most fans who have watched football over the last  30 years will know Leeds and us 'belong' in the premier League ,

Maybe 'belong' is the wrong expression to use. Let's just say we bring more to the premier league than a 50% of clubs who are in it atm. 

I kinda grew up with the PL. Think the first season I actually can remember was 93. Personally however I can't say I associate them with the PL. They are like Ipswich, Blackburn or Charlton to me. 

I think what people remember is just them spunking money they didn't have for 5 minutes of CL fame. 

I know they have a relatively big fan base where I come from. Can't really figure out why. They must have won something when English football started on the radio in the 60/70s. But based on the average age, that fan base will die out by 2040. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

It would've been very interesting to see their style of play in our game yesterday (having a man sent off vs them, and the other team going very defensive with two banks of 4 defending)

That was about 80% of the championship tbh. Its not that interesting, we waste 25 chances and scrape some shite 1-0.

1 hour ago, Rino8 said:

Is there a more boring and dead discussion than X club deserves this because of X thing?

I honestly don't care. Its nice that Leeds as a city have a premier league club again. Its nice that a well supported club are back in the top league but it doesn't really matter.

Until recently we didn't deserve to even be close to the prem. Like when you got relegated a couple of seasons ago, if youre shite you don't deserve to be there.

Hopefully we stay up this year and we can hear the end of this 'back where we belong' nonsense that the media are pumping out.

Its not just the media spitting bull **** tho 😂

20 hours ago, Rino8 said:

Is there a more boring and dead discussion than X club deserves this because of X thing?

I honestly don't care. Its nice that Leeds as a city have a premier league club again. Its nice that a well supported club are back in the top league but it doesn't really matter.

Until recently we didn't deserve to even be close to the prem. Like when you got relegated a couple of seasons ago, if youre shite you don't deserve to be there.

Hopefully we stay up this year and we can hear the end of this 'back where we belong' nonsense that the media are pumping out.

Exactly right, that, well said. You can extrapolate that as well - the whole media thing on "the big clubs" = as in "Grealish [or whoever] should move to a big club" - it's the same thing, the same mindset - everything is fixed in some sort of order, when it absolutely isn't. Leeds, or Villa or any Club could go down, suffer from bad ownership, poor choices, mismanagement..etc. and end up scrubbing around the lower reaches of whatever division. It's not permanent, it's the ever changing nature of the leagues. It is nice that Leeds with a big fanbase are back, but if another club with a big fanbase falls away, c'est la vie. It's the whole point of the thing. Sporting merit, not "they won last year and have a media friendly manager" .

Edited by blandy
typo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Rino8 said:

Testify GIF | Gfycat

Was reading earlier that they've been linked with Erick Pulgar who may be (inexplicably, to my mind) surplus to requirements in the new-look Fiorentina midfield.  Would be a really, really smart pick up for them, he's one of those water-carrier players that you don't particularly notice but just goes about putting shifts in and can be an absolute brick wall at times, in a high-pressing side he'd be very handy.  Never going to create much from open-play but has a laser-sight on his boots for dead balls.  Honestly don't know why Fiorentina would want rid of until they've at least bedded in the new midfield (and even then he'd a good option off the bench to close games down).

• Like 1

Talk they're signing Diego Llorente from Real Sociedad, 27 year old CB.

He's a pretty good player, played for Spain a few times and a regular for La Real in top half of la liga until he got injured halfway through last season. Surprised he hasn't regained his place but their way is always to promote younger players into first 11 and the defence kept a clean sheet v Real Madrid on Sunday. And 20m + is too good to turn down as think his contract runs out in 18 months.

Easily better than Liam Cooper although given he's captain you'll probably put him instead of the german guy who can act another cover. Think this will be another smart signing from Leeds, certainly got the quality to be a good defender in premier league.

8 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Bournemouth were no great loss, I just don't buy into the 'belonging' point of view.

Once you put every team in the PL that people reckon belongs there you end up with more than 20.

. . . and as I keep saying to people who want to have this conversation - if you could get your absolute, perfect Premier League, with the 20 most 'deserving' teams in pride of place, then . . . at the end of the season 3 of them would still be relegated anyway.

Dunno why people bother with it, it's a stupid conversation.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

. . . and as I keep saying to people who want to have this conversation - if you could get your absolute, perfect Premier League, with the 20 most 'deserving' teams in pride of place, then . . . at the end of the season 3 of them would still be relegated anyway.

Dunno why people bother with it, it's a stupid conversation.

I wonder what was the premier league season with the most traditional 'Big Clubs'.

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

I wonder what was the premier league season with the most traditional 'Big Clubs'.

I think this season is pretty close.

We got rid of three “less traditional clubs” in one shot last year.

I know it’s not political correct but I’m much happier watching Everton v Leeds than say  Everton v Norwich.

I get proper bored when super Sunday has no big names..I mean...Huddersfield!! Who ever wanted them in the Premier?

Of course football needs to have integrity but we all know who the big clubs are and the Premier is a better place when those clubs are in good shape.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

I think this season is pretty close.

We got rid of three “less traditional clubs” in one shot last year.

I know it’s not political correct but I’m much happier watching Everton v Leeds than say  Everton v Norwich.

I get proper bored when super Sunday has no big names..I mean...Huddersfield!! Who ever wanted them in the Premier?

Of course football needs to have integrity but we all know who the big clubs are and the Premier is a better place when those clubs are in good shape.

Kind of agree. I mean Bournemouth v Brighton doesn't have the same weight as even Sunderland v Shef Wed. Even though those two teams are way past their glory days

Nobody except the fans cared so much about Leeds vs Nottingham Forest or Newcastle vs Sheffield Wednesday when they were Championship clubs 

Not sure why the division matters, would people tune into Benfica vs Ajax in Champions League if Man City vs RB Leipzig was on at a similar time

32 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Nobody except the fans cared so much about Leeds vs Nottingham Forest or Newcastle vs Sheffield Wednesday when they were Championship clubs 

Not sure why the division matters, would people tune into Benfica vs Ajax in Champions League if Man City vs RB Leipzig was on at a similar time

Cant agree with the first line myself, as a child of the 70s and 80s all of those clubs have a certain pull about them. I would happily watch them play each other in the Championship (provided there aren't bigger or better matches available) although its less attractive without fans in the ground.

However, you have a point about the CL and I really struggle to be motivated by the majority of matches involving only continental clubs....so yes I would most probably pick the Man City game.

Back on topic...

Whatever is said about Leeds (for my generation anyway...) they will always be relevant*.

*For the record I don't think they are a big club, or back where they belong either ;))

Â