Leeds United

Qwpzxjor1

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

If only you would afford your own team such a generous outlook.

all praise in this thread and regular complaints in most Villa threads and the United thread. I think its Villaleeds21 ;) 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

You certainly look a better team. I’m going o suggest anybody playing Fulham this season will do too. You can only beat what’s in front of you though and it’s a very welcome early 3 points. West Brom must be wishing they had Fulham in the first few games of the season.

We've got Fulham next so we need to step up aswell.

4 hours ago, Rino8 said:

They had a better first half, fell apart in the 2nd for a period and then we fell apart after. 

We absolutely can't defend like this every game though, were looking really good going forward at times but at the back we're a mess. Dallas is really struggling I think. Hes a right winger converted to LB because we didn't have any other options and he can run for days but that's not enough in the prem.

Barry Douglas not rated enough for the prem. I remember he was pretty good the year Wolves went up but they swiftly decided he wasn't what was required in prem and looks like the same is happening at Leeds.

7 goals conceded in 2 games. Entertainin but it’s the points that matter. 

They cant out score every team every week. Norwich went at Liverpool a similar way the first game last year and went down. Leeds will be in trouble in my opinion. 

Redknapp used to say you need at least 10 points after the first 10 games.

Decent indicator of how it will go.

The teams with the worst defences normally go down. 

For me Fulham and WBA are doomed. Leeds also can't defend but is getting away with it because they're scoring for fun. That probably won't last if they keep defend the way they do but i think they have just enough to keep their heads above water.

But at the same time if they can sort out their defence i think they'll be looking at a mid table finish.

Just watched the motd highlights. My initial thoughts, pre-season, were that Leeds might have a similar impact as Sheff Utd did last season. Not so sure now. Can't see Bamford keeping up his scoring rate ....and he certainly won't be outpacing many defences like he did yesterday. Fulham were all over the shop with their left sided CB at RB. The other big issue for them is the keeper. We know from our own experience how important it is to have a solid presence between the sticks. The young lad they've got looks well short of the quality they'll need. I think they'll do well to stay up.

They've scored plenty of goals but created few chances. It will dry out eventually. If they don't improve defensively by the time that happens, they'll struggle. I also wonder whether they'll manage to keep up the intensity through the season, it costs a lot more in the PL. 

Fun and entertaining games to watch though. 

I remember Leeds of the 80s.Bremner,Clark,Charlton ,G.Sprake etc etc etc.They were second to Liverpool in the days when Liverpool won everything.A great club and after 16 years in the Championship and still getting around 30,000 at home,they deserve to be a PL team but,unfortunately staying in the Pl must be earned.The PL will be a better/stronger league with them in it,I hope they stay up. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

I remember Leeds of the 80s.Bremner,Clark,Charlton ,G.Sprake etc etc etc.They were second to Liverpool in the days when Liverpool won everything.A great club and after 16 years in the Championship and still getting around 30,000 at home,they deserve to be a PL team but,unfortunately staying in the Pl must be earned.The PL will be a better/stronger league with them in it,I hope they stay up. 

Not 'still' so much as 'again'. For quite a few years they were getting early 20,000s. Similar to Forest, but in a City almost twice the size with only 1 team.

I don't think Leeds deserve to be in the top flight, but Bielsa will deserve it if they keep playing all out attack as he has done a decent job the last few years.

8 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Not 'still' so much as 'again'. For quite a few years they were getting early 20,000s. Similar to Forest, but in a City almost twice the size with only 1 team.

I don't think Leeds deserve to be in the top flight, but Bielsa will deserve it if they keep playing all out attack as he has done a decent job the last few years.

There's a lot more to this than meets the eye though.

Ken bates was our owner. Charging prem prices for league 1 football. Constantly selling off our most promising players every time we started to get a squad together. Bates actively sabotaged all chances the club had at a resurgence.When we sold Delph to you the money was never invested back in the club, it was spent on 'hospitality' and other nonsense.

It's no coincidence  that one good owner and were in the premiership again.

2 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

There's a lot more to this than meets the eye though.

Ken bates was our owner. Charging prem prices for league 1 football. Constantly selling off our most promising players every time we started to get a squad together. Bates actively sabotaged all chances the club had at a resurgence.When we sold Delph to you the money was never invested back in the club, it was spent on 'hospitality' and other nonsense.

It's no coincidence  that one good owner and were in the premiership again.

That's fair enough. I can understand apathy over a shit owner. Was just correcting what was said.

The last line doesn't make much sense though because it's not some innate Leeds superiority that got you up, it was the owner making a smart choice on the manager.

11 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Leeds definitely belong in the premier League, their history, size of the city and their fans show us this. I suppose it's like the SU fans who don't think we belong in the premier League.

Aside from all that the media attention they create is great, look at this thread on them, it's very active for a team who doesn't belong at the top level.

Putting all that aside, they replaced Bournemouth, give me Leeds any day of the week, good for football, good for the Premier League brand and good for us. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tinker said:

Leeds definitely belong in the premier League, their history, size of the city and their fans show us this. I suppose it's like the SU fans who don't think we belong in the premier League.

Aside from all that the media attention they create is great, look at this thread on them, it's very active for a team who doesn't belong at the top level.

Putting all that aside, they replaced Bournemouth, give me Leeds any day of the week, good for football, good for the Premier League brand and good for us. 

Bournemouth were no great loss, I just don't buy into the 'belonging' point of view.

Once you put every team in the PL that people reckon belongs there you end up with more than 20.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

That's fair enough. I can understand apathy over a shit owner. Was just correcting what was said.

The last line doesn't make much sense though because it's not some innate Leeds superiority that got you up, it was the owner making a smart choice on the manager.

But I dont think Bielsa would have gone and managed Brentford or West Brom and I dont think those clubs could afford his staffa wages either

Were very fortunate to be a single club City so it will always give us decent revenue.

Our shirt sales last season put us somewhere around 10th in England, that sort of income most championship clubs can't access.

If I were picking my perfect Premier League with the twenty biggest teams in England in it, Leeds would be in it I'm pretty sure of that. It's a good sized club.

For this season, it's increasingly looking like West Brom and Fulham are here for the parachute payments, and I think that the top nine are largely set. That whole group from 10th for 18th is a mystery though and one team is going to be unlucky.

I think Leeds have enough to not be that team - but it's really difficult when people talk about going down or getting a mid-table finish - the gap between 10th and 18th this season is paper thin - I'm not sure that there really is a 'mid-table' this season.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Bournemouth were no great loss, I just don't buy into the 'belonging' point of view.

Once you put every team in the PL that people reckon belongs there you end up with more than 20.

Maybe but most fans who have watched football over the last  30 years will know Leeds and us 'belong' in the premier League ,

Maybe 'belong' is the wrong expression to use. Let's just say we bring more to the premier league than a 50% of clubs who are in it atm. 

21 minutes ago, tinker said:

Maybe but most fans who have watched football over the last  30 years will know Leeds and us 'belong' in the premier League ,

Maybe 'belong' is the wrong expression to use. Let's just say we bring more to the premier league than a 50% of clubs who are in it atm. 

Leeds spent the majority of them 30 years outside the top flight 

Â