Media and punditry

BOF

We always seem to get the bum deal in punditry! Just watching sky match choice for the highlights and who can i hear? Trevor fudging Francis!!

Fudge is my replacement for the F word as my 2 and a half year old son has super hearing lol!!

I couldn't believe the MOTD pundits, no discussion of us as a club at all really, just that we'd made a lot of changes and that us and Sunderland woudl both struggle.

Compare the football yesterday to a Lambert performance (second or final season after he'd decided we had to defend for our lives). In the last 2 games we've had 50+ shots, that's more than a shot on goal every 4 minutes. That's a MASSIVE change, echoing deeper changes to playing staff, coaching staff, scouts. It's a villa revolution, and they dismiss us with 2 word analysis most of the time.

If Arsenal played with 2 up front for half an hour they'd spend 10 minutes analysing it. Whatever, I have a feeling that by the end of the season they'll be singing a different tune.

• Like 2

The Bantersaurus Rex that is Richard Keys, along with Andy Gray have actually got a good show together on BeIn Sports. Naturally, it helps that they can show all the games live, plus all the goals in a roundup straight after the final whistle but it really makes a difference that they stay on air for a good amount of time after the games have finished.

This means that they're never really rushed in their analysis, plus their pundits tend to open up a bit more. Maybe it helps that they're outside of the UK so the guests feel more comfortable in speaking out, but the same people are definitely more candid here than when they're on Sky or the Beeb.

Probably helps that they're actually asked more direct questions too, instead of the usual fluff.

The Bantersaurus Rex that is Richard Keys, along with Andy Gray have actually got a good show together on BeIn Sports. Naturally, it helps that they can show all the games live, plus all the goals in a roundup straight after the final whistle but it really makes a difference that they stay on air for a good amount of time after the games have finished.

This means that they're never really rushed in their analysis, plus their pundits tend to open up a bit more. Maybe it helps that they're outside of the UK so the guests feel more comfortable in speaking out, but the same people are definitely more candid here than when they're on Sky or the Beeb.

Probably helps that they're actually asked more direct questions too, instead of the usual fluff.

The stuff on Richard Key's hands?

i notice that on Irish TV as well that people like Souness and Didi Hamann are a lot more open in their analysis but back on Sky they are rarely critical

Its like they are spoonfed what to say which is terrible to watch especially as other sports on Sky are more ruthless on commentary like in cricket and rugby

• Like 1

i notice that on Irish TV as well that people like Souness and Didi Hamann are a lot more open in their analysis but back on Sky they are rarely critical

Its like they are spoonfed what to say which is terrible to watch especially as other sports on Sky are more ruthless on commentary like in cricket and rugby

Souness is actually good value on BeIn Sports. Firm in his opinion and not afraid to make his point. Makes good viewing.

I think they can get away with a more honest critique when they're outside of England.

Probably helps that they're not the network that relies directly on the press conferences or post match interviews, so there's no need to be as chummy as the Beeb and Sky need to be.

Probably helps that they're not the network that relies directly on the press conferences or post match interviews, so there's no need to be as chummy as the Beeb and Sky need to be.

The English media are petrified that they'll get banned like Ferguson did to the BBC. Imagine if sky couldn't get an interview with mourinho after the game? They'd have heart failure. That's why you never get proper analysis on English tv.
  • Like 1

The English media are petrified that they'll get banned like Ferguson did to the BBC. Imagine if sky couldn't get an interview with mourinho after the game? They'd have heart failure. That's why you never get proper analysis on English tv.

Exactly.

Channels like BeIn Sports are able to get the post match interviews from Sky and the Beeb, then tear the interview, team and performance apart if need be, as they don't need to face the clubs directly.

Makes for much better coverage and analysis of the games.

• Like 1

The team of Ruud Gullit and Martin Keown makes me long for Hansen and Lawrenson. I wouldn't mind but I think Lawro's an absolute moron.

I agree he's a moron, but I don't think he's actually THAT bad as a pundit.

As a co-commentator he is awful. Like actually the worst co-commentator there is. Seriously.

But as a pundit he's ok (emphasis on ok. Not great)

• 2 weeks later...
Â