Media and punditry

BOF

Assumed most people would of already seen it but.

Former Manchester United star Rio Ferdinand was announced as lead analyst, with Paul Scholes, Michael Owen, Steve McManaman, Owen Hargreaves, Harry Redknapp, Glenn Hoddle and Howard Webb also part of their punditry team alongside Gary Lineker.

Apart from Owens annoying voice, its a good lineup with some experienced players. I totally forgot the CL is on BT sport next season

rio was good at the WC IMO tried to put things in to the perspective of the players and was interesting with it

not convinced they've got enough european knowledge with them lot though, skys downfall was the wider knowledge, jamie redknapp watched barcelona about 5 times last season, the 2 games vs man city and then the 3 games he covered when itv didnt have them, it was aimed at casual fans, if you have a 3 man panel i want at least one of them to know the opposition team inside out, instead we get 3 experts on the english team who have heard of the foreign one

have they announced any red button multi screen coverage equivalent so you dont have to watch their game if you dont want to?

Edited by villa4europe

• 1 month later...

Former Manchester United star Rio Ferdinand was announced as lead analyst, with Paul Scholes, Michael Owen, Steve McManaman, Owen Hargreaves

Nice and varied former pros from clubs up and down the Premier League I see

• 3 weeks later...

Former Manchester United star Rio Ferdinand was announced as lead analyst, with Paul Scholes, Michael Owen, Steve McManaman, Owen Hargreaves

Nice and varied former pros from clubs up and down the Premier League I see

LOL and not to mention the fact that Owen, McManaman and Hargreaves are all absolutely abysmal pundits. 

fm15-sky_3396138b.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/babb/11780655/Sky-Sports-use-Football-Manager-database-to-profile-players-in-real-life.html

SSN now using Football Manager stats to show what foreign players are best at...

Is it me or is that incredibly lazy? 

Edited by villarule123

More stats in football should be used. Using football manager though is pretty lol. Although dont FM spend crazy money on scouting players and they are usually quite good at finding up'n'coming players?

Edited by gharperr

Yes and no.

It is lazy as it probably took them 5 minutes instead of having or finding an expert who could give them a real life opinion.

But as far as databases of footballers' attributes go, Football Manager must be the most accurate and extensive one out there. So if they're going to use that style of analysis then it's a good database to use.

More stats in football should be used. Using football manager though is pretty lol. Although dont FM spend crazy money on scouting players and they are usually quite good at finding up'n'coming players?

They don't spend crazy money. In fact, I'm not sure they spend anything.

They do a LOT of scouting, and like I said above their database must be the biggest and best database of footballer's abilities there is.

But I'm fairly sure all the contributors are volunteers. I know Andy Clarke who was on here for a while who did the Villa ratings was a volunteer.

theres a documentary on youtube about it, its pretty good they do have thousands of scouts as a global network, blokes watching south african lower leagues for sports interactive

and i think they actually launched a professional service called prozone recruiter which puts that scouting network to good use, they are now selling the data to clubs, and i think theres data on over 300k players on there

Yep, Everton were one of the first to take it up and got widely mocked.

I don't think it's a stupid idea though. I don't think clubs should be signing players PURELY based on football manager stats.

But I don't think it's a bad place to start to get, say, a list of players in a country that you might want to go and have a look at.

FM just uses fans to supply ratings don't they? Sure I've seen posts on FM forums looking for people.

Yes.

But they are done seriously. And regulated (as much as that's possible).

Otherwise it would just be "OMG IBE IS 20 EVERTIIIIINNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG!"

Â