Media and punditry

BOF

Everton beat Chelsea 3.1 and Steven Naismith comes on as sub and scores a great hat-trick. So what do match of the day pundits talk about?  Chelsea and how good John Stones (who was wanted by Chelsea) was.  Naismith doesn't even get a mention, jokers.

• Like 3

Just saw the highlights from the ManUre vs Liverplop game that was described as a "derby day" win. Say what?

It's very much a derby. Liverpool and Manchester are neighbouring cities, both historically part of Lancashire and they tend not to like each other on all kinds of levels, not just football. Manchester massively undermined Liverpool's importance as a major port when they built the shipping canal 150 years ago and I don't think Scoucers have ever forgiven them. 

• Like 1

Just saw the highlights from the ManUre vs Liverplop game that was described as a "derby day" win. Say what?

It's very much a derby. Liverpool and Manchester are neighbouring cities, both historically part of Lancashire and they tend not to like each other on all kinds of levels, not just football. Manchester massively undermined Liverpool's importance as a major port when they built the shipping canal 150 years ago and I don't think Scoucers have ever forgiven them. 

I don't count 'neighbouring cities' as a true derby. Has to be the same town or city for me - 'traditional rivalry' alone won't do. Liverpool/Everton, Man U/Man C, Villa/Blues are derbies. Newcastle/Sunderland, Forest/Derby County, etc. aren't.

But it's an old argument that will never be resolved.

A derby is a match with more interest than a normal match.  A 'local derby' may need geography.  Most Man U and 'plop fans regard Man Utd v Liverpool as their biggest derby of the season bar none.

• Like 2

Oh and wtf is it with Sky bringing that shitehawk Yorke on as the Villa representative for our matches.  That word removed couldn't give a shit about us and it shows when he's talking about us.  It's an insult to us that they use him.  Merson gives more of a shit than he does.  Use him instead.

• Like 3

Oh and wtf is it with Sky bringing that shitehawk Yorke on as the Villa representative for our matches.  That word removed couldn't give a shit about us and it shows when he's talking about us.  It's an insult to us that they use him.  Merson gives more of a shit than he does.  Use him instead.

Yesterday would have been perfect to get Brian Little in.

I don't count 'neighbouring cities' as a true derby. Has to be the same town or city for me - 'traditional rivalry' alone won't do. Liverpool/Everton, Man U/Man C, Villa/Blues are derbies. Newcastle/Sunderland, Forest/Derby County, etc. aren't.

But it's an old argument that will never be resolved.

How on Earth can Newcastle/Sunderland not be considered a derby? They're from cities what, 20 miles away from each other? Both one club cities, and miles and miles away from everyone else. 

I think it might come as news to them as well. 

It is a derby and unfortunately it's the biggest derby in English football, given the fact that it's the two biggest teams in English football and they are fairly local to each other, the only thing I picked up from the media coverage (which to be fair I avoided) was the BBCs suggestion that's it's the most historic Derby in English football which I'm not sure how you measure but we'd been playing west brom for about 20 years before they met and personally I hate the idea that it used to be really vitriolic and it's the tourists that diluted it, in my mind pundits like to strangely flirt with the idea that something edgy or dangerous could happen at these games when in reality it doesn't seem a patch on what us vs blues will be or even what us vs the baggies is starting to be

The media pushing Villa Leicester as some huge Midlands derby is hilarious . It's Leicester ffs they haven't been on our radar for years and years and years before last season.  As much as a derby as Villa Stoke. Not sure about Leicester fans but most of us don't give a flying **** about their club.

Â