Media and punditry

BOF

Why is there always a massive debate when a black coach gets sacked?

Powell sacked yesterday and like clockwork, the BBC have dragged out the old ' sad day for black coaches' article.

I blame Sol Campbell.

• Like 2

Re the above and black coaches... BBC running another story about how it's disheartening, quoted by Troy Townsend (who I hear you ask... Andros' father and racism campaigner).. However, Frank Sinclair (he of Chelsea fame) has rubbished it saying those type of comments are damaging for black coaches...

(sorry can't post link on mobile).

sky proving again that football didn't exist before 1992, with the stats about Vardy being a record for an Englishman, yet stan mortensen scoring 11 in a row back in the 50s isnt mentioned

• Like 3

So Jermaine Jenas on MOTD2. On the one hand, it was great to hear him and  be so complimentary about Villa, but on the other it shows whatKeown a crap pundit he is. Just a couple of weeks ago he was saying that the problem with Villa is that the players aren't good enough; then after the Man City match he was saying what a revelation we were. Well it wouldn't have been such a revelation if you'd done your job properly in the first place and done a little research into the teams you're talking about. If you had you might have picked up on the fact that Sherwood openly admitted that he was mucking around with team selection and lineup in the hope of hitting on something that worked. Do you think that might have had an effect on performances, Jermaine?

Edited by Villanun
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure they qualify those stats with "in the Premier Leauge" though. 

They do but all they are serving to do is big up their own crappy product, as if the 100 odd years of English football before the premier league doesn't matter.

Sky, incidentally, is the very worst thing to ever happen to British television. I wish British Satelite Broadcasting would have won out rather than the populist, tabloid-esque bullshit that is Sky. 

So Jermaine Jenas on MOTD2. On the one hand, it was great to hear him and  be so complimentary about Villa, but on the other it shows whatKeown a crap pundit he is. Just a couple of weeks ago he was saying that the problem with Villa is that the players aren't good enough; then after the Man City match he was saying what a revelation we were. Well it wouldn't have been such a revelation if you'd done your job properly in the first place and done a little research into the teams you're talking about. If you had you might have picked up on the fact that Sherwood openly admitted that he was mucking around with team selection and lineup in the hope of hitting on something that worked. Do you think that might have had an effect on performances, Jermaine?

It's a format problem with MotD I've finally come to terms with.   They had Jenas (Spurs) and Keown (Arsenal) on yesterday as the Norf London derby was the biggest game of the day and I'm fine with that.  It's just a shame that because the pundits are expected to have an opinion on everything then we can't be too surprised when those opinions come from a pool of knowledge which is puddle deep. 

I've said it plenty of times in this thread but I'd change the format of the show drastically if I were in charge of MotD. The obsession with only having ex players as pundits holds the show back, the BBC employ hundreds of journalists so why can't they tap that resource? Why can't they have a Villa man and a Manchester City man in to talk about the Villa Man City game?  They don't even have to be in the studio, they can come in via Skype or phone and talk over the video replays. 

• Like 2

the SSN "analysis" this morning was embarrassing, didnt look at any tactics, no real detail for either team, nothing on delph, nothing on the throw in / corner

but they did give me 10 minutes of utter bullshit and cliches about foreign people in football, we need to find the balance between english spirit and foreign flair apparently 

It's a format problem with MotD I've finally come to terms with.   They had Jenas (Spurs) and Keown (Arsenal) on yesterday as the Norf London derby was the biggest game of the day and I'm fine with that.  It's just a shame that because the pundits are expected to have an opinion on everything then we can't be too surprised when those opinions come from a pool of knowledge which is puddle deep. 

I've said it plenty of times in this thread but I'd change the format of the show drastically if I were in charge of MotD. The obsession with only having ex players as pundits holds the show back, the BBC employ hundreds of journalists so why can't they tap that resource? Why can't they have a Villa man and a Manchester City man in to talk about the Villa Man City game?  They don't even have to be in the studio, they can come in via Skype or phone and talk over the video replays. 

This times a million.

An ex player or two can be useful. Even though he comes across as a tit sometimes, I actually think Ian Wright does that role really well.
He doesn't try and talk tactics, he doesn't try to blag a load of knowledge that he doesn't have. He looks at a clip and says "if that was me I'd have done this" or "When I played I'd have hit that first time" or "As a player in that situation you'd be thinking this"

That's what the ex players should be doing. Providing insights into what it is like being a player. 

For the more in depth, tactical stuff I'd much rather listen to people who have that knowledge built up over years of studying it. I'd sooner listen to Michael Cox talking me through the tactics of a particular game than Alan Shearer trying to do the same. 

I bet he'd cost a fraction of the amount too.

MOTD have that show on a Sunday with a few journalists who come in and talk about the weekend's football. They usually have an ex-player there too for the lolz. That is a considerably better format, mainly because you have people who know what they are talking about and more importantly know how to form a sentence. Then again, the show would go on for three hours if they sat around and had a proper discussion after each game.

I haven't watched MOTD in at least a year and have no intention of doing so until they sort it out.

• Like 1

Yeah, there was a bit on MotD on Saturday where having ex players as pundits worked brilliantly, I can't remember which game they were discussing but Wright mentioned something that only an experienced international class striker would probably have noticed and that's the position a centre forward should take from a corner.  He mentioned that he'd always position himself by the goalkeeper and not move when the ball comes in because the defender who is marking the striker who is on the keeper always moves first and four or five times a season that means you get a free goal.  They had a giggle that Lineker pushed Wright out of the way to score like that against Cameroon in the 1990 world cup and then Shearer said he always did it too.  It's minutiae like that that I want from an ex player. Wright seems particularly strong in that area of punditry as it seems to me at least that he still watches the game with a players eye, he kicks every ball from the sideline and imagines what he would have done in every situation. Maybe he knows he can't sum up big picture things like strategy and tactics as well as others, but those little things which are easy to miss completely are very valuable and interesting to me.   There should be room for both though.

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 3

Agreed, again.

Unfortunately, Joe Public would see a football journalist and say "who the **** is this guy? He's never played football OR been on Strictly Come Dancing!"
I think ex players is catering to the masses.

• Like 1

To be fair, you wouldn't have to try to hard to find posts in on-topic saying exactly the same thing.

That said, I do agree that Jenas is quite good to listen to.

Â