Media and punditry

BOF

in my mind pundits like to strangely flirt with the idea that something edgy or dangerous could happen at these games

Return to the dark days!

That's the ironic thing about it, they try their hardest to sell these non event derbies and not actual derbies (like villa v Leicester) by almost glamorising the potential for it to kick off, but then when you get a proper Derby and it does kick off (or in our case it didn't even kick off they just tried to tell everyone it did) they hammer it

That's the ironic thing about it, they try their hardest to sell these non event derbies and not actual derbies (like villa v Leicester) by almost glamorising the potential for it to kick off, but then when you get a proper Derby and it does kick off (or in our case it didn't even kick off they just tried to tell everyone it did) they hammer it

It's not really that ironic at all.  They are parasites, and I'm not using that term unkindly or inappropriately.  They literally feed financially off any story that happens.  Whether that be ones they've manufactured themselves out of thin air (or incited...), or by hypocritically sensationalising those which start by themselves.  A repugnant industry that is simultaneously and unashamedly equal part shit-stirrer and tattle-tale.

• Like 2

I think it is used for black players more. But could that be that there is more black footballers with the kind of physique that would lend themselves to being called a beast?

I can't think of many big, muscular, good white players.

Honestly, I wasn't "looking for it." I'm just an ordinary soccer fan from the East Coast in the US. I'm politically moderate. I just began noticing when I listened to British commentaries that beast is almost invariably used this way. Knowing America's history, esp. slavery, and the notion of treating people as "beasts of burden," makes it resonate, and I've always read a good amount of black literatures from around the world, where this kind of thing comes up. It's just something that irks me.

Â