Media and punditry

BOF

because their main pundit is a Newcastle legend who has a grudge against the owner

I know but that shouldn't mean that Newcastle recieve far more attention than most clubs on Motd. We probably have the least words spoken of us on Motd out of any other club, despite being a complete mess at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Merson on soccer saturday saying sacking Sherwood would be ridiculous. He really doesn't have a clue. Do you watch us week in week out? No. So shut up

changes his opinion like the wind changes direction

the start of the season he said we would struggle (duh), in his pre Leicester game prediction he said villa would finish the highest of the midlands clubs, now were definitely getting relegated.

From the little I caught on match of the day last night it appears that the Sherwood defence team are already out (Danny Murphy) by putting most of the blame on the players and questioning who actually made the signings. 

I guess we're going to have to put up with this for the next couple of weeks. However for me, this underscores the problem we have in this country when it comes to punditry. Basically, no one wants to either (a) criticise their own friends on British TV, or (b) feel like they may damage relations between their employers and football clubs. It leads to very sub par and un-insightful punditry all round. 

• Like 2

This is what Danny Murphy said today after the sacking-

"We don't know exactly what's gone on with the recruitment of the players that have come in - ultimately too many of them haven't done well enough and are not good enough. Like all managers, he's responsible for that."

So a bit of a dig at the players, I think that's to be expected. But the overall impression I got was he feels the buck stops with Sherwood.

I like Murphy, the beeb's best pundit by a considerable margin.

• Like 3

Most of the retired players will defend retired player who's gone into management/coaching because they are "one of them" and feel kinship with them.

It's only "natural" thing to do and I wouldn't expect anything else and I'm pleasantly surprised that Murphy is saying otherwise.

Bloody BBC website. "Tim Sherwood: Was Aston Villa sacking deserved?"

10 defeats out of the past 12 league matches. Yes, it was deserved. I'd love to know how many games he had to lose before they decided his media persona was outweighed by performance.

I also like how there's this constant view of "well, this is what happens when you sell your best players in Benteke, Delph and Cleverly", as if we made the silly decision to off load them. 

Whenever they mention Vlaar as well, they seem to think we lost the World Cup Vlaar rather than a player who was laughably injury prone and made some costly errors in his final year (when he did play).

They seem to champion the fact Sherwood wanted more premier league experience in the squad but ignore his own limited time of management in this division or any other. 

Oh and Lescott wasn't a free transfer. Idiots.

It appears that the narrow minded football punditry world in England is suffering from a case of groupthink. Sherwood is a ambitious English manager who performed  a miracle keeping us up, only for all of his best players to leave and denied to buy the 'right' players.  Villa only spent 5 million so they deserve to be 20th,.

Right let's clear this horses**t up. Net spend isn't a fair account of transfer policy. We spent the best part of 50 million strengthening the squad. Virtually every club is in risk of the top players getting poached by the richer clubs. This what happens at Southampton but  they still seem to do okay. Vlaar was poor last year, Cleverley and Benteke only got good in the last third of the season and Delph is quite frankly replaceable. I would not right off our summer signings. Why Phil McNulty thinks Jordan Veretout is 'not fit for premier league purpose' after 5 starts is a mystery to me. Of course the 3 games we have won, he has started every time. I am sure Phil researched that stat. Then again as it does not involve Liverpool, then probably not. 

Most of them have promise and I would say it was down to more poor management than ability of the players of why we are 20th with 10 games played. Hutton as a wing back? Fine. Bacuna as a central midfielder? Makes total sense.  Buy a big target man and don't play out and out wingers to give him supply? Yep that was our Tim,

No club just relies on the manager getting the players in. Football is a massive, massive business now and all clubs have scouting networks and often DOF's. This is not unsual. The manager's role is to be a say in transfer matters but more importantly the day to day running of the team. Like you know fitness, conditioning, tactics, morale. Which Sherwood failed on in virtually every aspect by the end. We always seemed knackered by the end of matches and how many goals have we let in the last 5-10 minutes this season?

Most of the media talk cliched garbage and it's hurting my ears and eyes.

Rant over.

• Like 4

Much has been made of the merry go round at our club in the media, we all know that, we know what's been said about the upper echelons of the club from various sources.

Now stan collymore has been one of the stand out media men who has openly condemned how the club is being run, what I want to know is, is stan putting his career infront of our club? Is he right? Is he wrong? He's very passionate about what's going on, in fact I'd go as far as saying there is a media circus being sturred up right now, it makes for great listening which I understand is what talk sport is all about. 

Where do his comments sit with you?

Â