Media and punditry

BOF

Just to add a new one to the list of terrible commentator clichés, "the SAS... that's Suarez and Sturridge" and now "the SAS, that's Sterling and Sturridge" makes me throw up in my mouth. It sounds like something a 6-year-old invented, but these middle-aged men can't help themselves from saying it every game. Even worse is that it is never just 'SAS', they have to qualify by telling you it means Sterling and Sturridge, defeating the entire point of coming up with the embarrassing nickname in the first place.

Also, since conjunctions like 'and' aren't often used in acronyms, I prefer to call them The SS.

I thought it stood for Super Army Soldiers... Anyway, as cringey as the whole Suarez and Sturridge love in was, nothing can beat Bale Benzema and Christiano for sheer corniness. It's just so naff on so many levels that the first time I heard it I actually laughed out loud. Are they even known as that in Spain? I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if it was just something the media made up.

Yup, the way Costa was running, had he ran normally and not for some apparent reason dragged his trailing leg across the floor, the GK would never have made any contact anyway. 

Ref got it absolutely spot on.  I was absolutely gutted Neville and co said it should have been a penalty.

If everyone ran the way Costa did to make contact, we'd be running around like ice skaters.

• Like 1

Alan Smith riled me last night saying Costa should have had a penalty, I expected Neville and/or Carragher to make amends but they both also thought it was a penalty.

Pundits are the worst source of encouragement for divers and cheats as they're the ones who will slow down a video clip to find the most minimal of contact to justify someone throwing themselves to the ground, just because there is contact does not make it a foul - it's a contact sport, allegedly.

Costa had already thrown himself into the air dragging his right foot along the ground before the keeper made contact, sickens me.

I don't know if they do it so as not to have to upset people like Mourinho/Costa or whether they genuinely believe it but it's a joke.

It's Jose, nobody wants to upset Jose.

Oh Jose, always good for a quote Jose, always good value Jose, Oh charismatic Jose, Oh the special one, Oh Jose, can I be your friend Jose, Friiienddd, football friiiiieeennnd.

• Like 1

Anyone watched the 50 years of MOTD? Quite entertaining in a bbc backslapping sort of way. Des Lynam is starting to look old- which makes me feel old. Although MOTD has its faults, being almost constant on Saturday tv for half a century is quite an achievement.  ITV made such a bad job of it (tactics truck anyone) I doubt it will go anywhere else. Not much mention of Villa though.

Â