Media and punditry

BOF

He sums up what's wrong with most ex-players who go into punditry: doesn't know **** all. 

You've no idea what you're talking about, some of those 5 will end up being stars. They'll be playing for top clubs. Mark Owen Hargreaves' words.

• Like 1

I've always said that if American networks need to find commentators (at least of the play by play variety) for football, they should look at the NHL guys (not least because ice hockey can concisely be described as football on ice with sticks).

Someone went and created a video of football with Doc Emrick NHL calls.

(you'll need to click over to youtube due to the la liga clips)

• Like 2

He sums up what's wrong with most ex-players who go into punditry: doesn't know **** all. 

disagree, i think that does sum up whats wrong with our media / pundits, not in that he knows **** all but in that there is obviously an agenda behind it where he's been told (if he even wrote it) to pick those players

if he'd have said blindingly obvious ones like barkley, sterling, shaw, januzaj and ward prowse then it wouldnt be much better, if he'd have said the likes of grealish, gnarby, zezalem, ibe , baker etc no one would read it

I've always said that if American networks need to find commentators (at least of the play by play variety) for football, they should look at the NHL guys (not least because ice hockey can concisely be described as football on ice with sticks).

Someone went and created a video of football with Doc Emrick NHL calls.

(you'll need to click over to youtube due to the la liga clips)

Like him but my absolute favourite NHL commentator is Buffalo Sabres Rick Jeanneret

Features & Analysis

• _76423303_1036175.jpgDicks finds women's football 'refreshing'

"They used to apologise in training when they went in with a tough tackle on their team-mate. I'm not having that."

Pretty unfortunate headline from the BBC website

I'm pretty sure it was deliberate. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I see the BBC have given a role to Rio Ferdinand. I found it really cringeworthy when they had current players on talking about their own club, because they are not going to say anything against that team. Kompany when City has two dodgy penalties against us springs to mind.

Actually thought Rio was surprisingly decent at the World Cup so I've no problem with that.

Like I said elsewhere, he did exactly what a player pundit should do, provided an insight into what it's like to be a player in certain situations. NOT give in depth tactical analysis that he isn't qualified to give.

• Like 1

my worry would be the amount of air time savage got at the world cup, dont care about him being on football focus or MOTD2 just dont let him near MOTD

and like stevo says, they've signed Rio up, he was good, you could tell he was uncomfortable with the force fed stuff but was natural when it came to explaining the mentality of footballers is a given scenario, they've also signed up gullit

Actually thought Rio was surprisingly decent at the World Cup so I've no problem with that.

Like I said elsewhere, he did exactly what a player pundit should do, provided an insight into what it's like to be a player in certain situations. NOT give in depth tactical analysis that he isn't qualified to give.

I have no problems with him doing it, as long as he doesn't have to talk about games that he had been involved with, especially if his side have had a controversial decision.

Savage will be a regular on MOTD and MOTD2, just not Football Focus.

The way he's carved himself out a career is incredible.

He has barely any vocabulary and can't form sentences properly.

Edited :lol: Need to work on forming those sentences.

Edited by Tomaszk

Every court needs a jester.

I used to listen to him on 5live, I have heard 10 year olds with better debating and reasoning skills.

The BBC have been pushing him relentlessly into their football coverage over the past 4 years or so. I have no idea why - the jester explanation seems as good as any.

Edited by Mantis

We're going to miss Hansen. I'd rather have his quirky but relevant voice over than Ferdinand's irrelevant mumbling.

"ow 'bout that then? Gets the bawl, seeya later. Again, megs and Ee's away. Bang top corwna, thank you very much".

Not much different to state the obvious merchant Shearer.

"Rooney picks up the ball here. Crosses to Van Persie and that's a world class finish."

Unfortunately Gary Neville has pushed the bar higher than most can reach. I will accept Lee Dixon and a guest player or manager each week.

Â