Media and punditry

BOF

good article on Savage

His presence on our screens, ahead of others far more learned and perceptive, is an ongoing insult to anybody who has ever opted to think before they speak.

The special anniversary episode of Match of the Day on Saturday night rather unflatteringly juxtaposed Savage with the measured elegance of Barry Davies, which is a bit like following the greatest meal of your life with a loud belch in the car park.

:crylaugh:  :clap: 
  • Like 2

I've decided not to bother with MOTD or any television punditry from now on.

They don't tell me what I don't already know, so why bovver.

Personally I think that's why I like goals on Sunday, kammy isn't trying to tell you anything or force his opinion on you, it's a presenter and 3 ex footballers watching football, chatting about football and having a laugh doing it

Monday night football is obviously at the other end of the spectrum and also works

Everything else seems to be aimed at the lowest common denominator (the casual man utd fan) and offers an often changing opinion that panders to the masses (such as whether or not Suarez was diving) or trying to be analytical and being far too simplistic

Let's not be silly here.

MOTD is brilliant. You only have to remember back to "The Premiership" on ITV to realise this.

But it could be so much better. That's the frustrating thing.

• Like 2

I watch it...fast forward the "punditry" most of the time and watch the one Villa shot at the end.

I watch it...fast forward the "punditry" most of the time and watch the one Villa shot at the end.

good article on Savage

His presence on our screens, ahead of others far more learned and perceptive, is an ongoing insult to anybody who has ever opted to think before they speak.

The special anniversary episode of Match of the Day on Saturday night rather unflatteringly juxtaposed Savage with the measured elegance of Barry Davies, which is a bit like following the greatest meal of your life with a loud belch in the car park.

:crylaugh:  :clap: 

Its still August and he has already had 17 teams to go down and 17 teams to be champions.

He is a **** clown, to see him giving his opinions next to World cup winners, PL winners, CL winners is an insult.

Jamie Redknapp laments waste of Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard talent

Jamie Redknapp believes Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard had the talent to take England to a major final – but were let down by their managers.

The midfield duo, both with more than 100 caps to their names, have announced their retirement from international football following the World Cup in Brazil.

They first played together for England in 2003, but Sven-Goran Eriksson, Steve McClaren and Fabio Capello struggled to find a formula to get the best out of them.

And Sky Sports pundit Redknapp, who was in the England team when Lampard made his debut against Belgium in 1999, says it is a great disappointment that they failed to get beyond the quarter-final of a major international tournament.

“I do not subscribe to the theory they couldn’t play alongside each other. I think any manager worth their salt should have got more out of them because they are such talented players.He told Sky Sports News HQ: “We’ve had two of the best midfield players that the country has probably ever produced in Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard and we’ve never quite had a manager who can get the most out of them.

“Had they got the right system for them both to play then we could have had so many good years of success.
“Instead we found ways of playing one of them out wide in Steven Gerrard and maybe not playing Frank Lampard at times. It just didn’t really work.

“They were two such talented players and it’s a shame it hasn’t ended up in at least a final at a European Championships or a World Cup to mark that.
“We’ve lost two great midfielders this year in terms of retirement.”

england-world-cup-qualification-pa_31500

Lampard and Gerrard played together for the final time in England’s dead rubber World Cup clash with Costa Rica in June.
And Redknapp says both men can take pride in their achievements in an England shirt, despite the lack of tournament success.

“Both of them will look back on their careers in playing in internationals – more than 100 caps for Frank and Steven as well – and that’s an incredible achievement for two young players.Redknapp added: “Frank scored 29 goals, but I thought we could have got so much more out of the two of them.

“I just feel there had to have been a better way to get them in the team, not so much at this World Cup but in previous European Championships and the World Cup in Germany.

"They are so talented. They can both score goals, they can both defend and it’s a shame for a lot of the younger players in the squad because they all look up to people like him.”

Maybe nobody got the best out of them because they just didn't work together? 

Let's not be silly here.

MOTD is brilliant. You only have to remember back to "The Premiership" on ITV to realise this.

But it could be so much better. That's the frustrating thing.

Agreed, better the devil you know.

Lets not forget, ITV's one attempt at Premier League highlights made me want to smash my telly up.

Edited by islingtonclaret

We could easily have played Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes in a midfield 3 IMO.

And you'd have been a good 10 years ahead of everyone else...

Unfortunately Sven who wasted the 3 of them was constantly told how England played 4-4-2 and only ever 4-4-2, can't remember us having experimented with formations or shape back then

Think it's 50/50 personally, the managers spent far too long shoehorning them in together only for them not to perform anyway

No doubt when he hangs up his boots it'll be someone else's fault that Rooney never won anything with england

Sven tried play 4-5-1 he tried play Beckham behind them and tried Carrick, King or Hargreaves they just couldnt do it and for me thats down to Gerrard lack of tactical intelligence. For all his attacking talent he has been at his weakest playing centre midfield, perfect example is Champions League final. Benitez knew this and had 2 holding midfielders to carry him 

Oh Dear God the Beckham 'quarterback' role.

I think I banished that from my memory, never have I seen such pandering to one player.

Sven was a gutless shithouse.

You could swap Gerrard Beckham and Roy for Sven and this would still be accurate.

• Like 1

To catch up with chat from this page:

1. I like Robbie Savage as a pundit. My perception is that he is honest and provides a players view on the game - much the same as Collymore. The "article" in the Telegraph smacks of professional jealousy and little else. The sole critiscism that isn't the writiers opinion is that he may have said rude things to LeSaux about his sexuality. As have I would imagine several thousand players, managers, fans and other pundits (I'm not conding BTW)
  2. Noone watches MOTD for the analysis. You watch it for the highlights. End of.  
  3. Redknapp (Snr and Jnr) Lampard and Gerrard are all words removed, and Sven.

Â