Media and punditry

BOF

I agree. I stopped listening a while back. They used to spend a lot more time traveling around the leagues, it has turned into the podcast version of sky sports.

Football ramble. Forget the rest.

Love a bit of Ramble, but even they're not averse to the odd back-handed compliment towards Villa. Seems irrelevant now but I remember Luke's comment about Hoolahan's celebration really getting on my nerves.
I completely agreed with Luke for that.

It was ridiculous.

Ramble has overtaken Football Weekly for me. But they're both great.

Don't be annoyed by the podcasts being harsh on us. Don't forget that for the past couple of seasons we have been a SHIT football team.

I agree. I stopped listening a while back. They used to spend a lot more time traveling around the leagues, it has turned into the podcast version of sky sports.

Love a bit of Ramble, but even they're not averse to the odd back-handed compliment towards Villa. Seems irrelevant now but I remember Luke's comment about Hoolahan's celebration really getting on my nerves.

It was ridiculous.

Don't be annoyed by the podcasts being harsh on us. Don't forget that for the past couple of seasons we have been a SHIT football team.

Doesn't annoy me at all. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I just think the show has gone downhill.

Do wish the Ramble would bring back the DW HOF though and Pete's game this year is dog muck. Couldn't care less.

It was ridiculous.

Like I said, it seems stupid now, and in fairness it's a poor example of what I was talking about. Just came to mind at the time of writing. I totally understand that we're not a particularly fashionable team, and we have been appalling from a neutral perspective. In retrospect I think it's more the lack of depth to the analysis that grates a bit*.

Irrespective of what you thought about Hoolahan doing that there was at least a bit of backstory that could have filled a minute or two. Instead all I ever seem to hear about Villa is "they've got a young side" when we lose, or "they're a funny old team" when we get a surprise result.

As you say, best not to take it too seriously I suppose.

*this is by no means solely aimed at FR, MOTD do it all the time as well.

Edited by B94villa

I wasn't annoyed at them being harsh, just lack of research, there's been nothing lucky about our wins, we might have had a little against Newcastle, but against Liverpool and Stoke we killed the game and had the best chances.

It makes me wonder whether they watched the games or watched the highlights and viewed the stats.

I wasn't annoyed at them being harsh, just lack of research, there's been nothing lucky about our wins, we might have had a little against Newcastle, but against Liverpool and Stoke we killed the game and had the best chances.

It makes me wonder whether they watched the games or watched the highlights and viewed the stats.

To be fair, they can't possibly watch every single game in full. Even asking them to watch football first highlights of every match is a bit much, they have proper full on jobs.

That said, our game against Liverpool was televised so not much of an excuse for a journalist.

I often get the impression the ramble like us a fair bit? Especially Luke. Even when we're **** shit... Danny Murphy to the Villa...

Yeah the ramble don't seem to mind us.

Jimbo on football weekly seems really down on us lately. Always makes the joke that nobody can be arsed to talk about us because we're boring.

Which is fine, he's right. I've just noticed it more recently.

With regards to the ramble, I'd be perfectly happy if Pete disappeared completely. He's the worst bit about it.

Just listened to football weekly... Didn't think they were particularly down on us at all. Very much an "outsiders" opinion but I find myself agreeing with *most* of what they said.

Yeah they weren't. It was just that one chap who's name escapes me who put our form down to luck. But who can blame him? If Hull were in second and had had our results I'd have probably said the same. He still complimented the defence.

A more informed opinion would have been that it is the defence that's been the difference. I'd say only the HUll game would have had the same result last season given how the game panned out. I don't think we'd have kept clean sheets in any of the other 3 games last season. That's been the difference.

It's not going to win us the league, but it's going to take us from shit to not so shit if we keep it up.

The point I made about Jimbo was over the last few weeks. Villa talk (lolz) is usually limited to "Villa take on Newcastle this week? Anyone got anything to say about that? no? let's move on then"

But like I said, who can blame him? it's funny, and if he was doing the same with, say, Stoke or someone then we wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Just listened to football weekly... Didn't think they were particularly down on us at all. Very much an "outsiders" opinion but I find myself agreeing with *most* of what they said.

Yeah they weren't. It was just that one chap who's name escapes me who put our form down to luck. But who can blame him?
I think it was Sean Ingle. And he raised the point about luck being a factor more as a footnote rather than as the only explanation for our recent success. I certainly didn't see it as being down on Villa at all.

We have been sort of a running joke on Football Weekly since Barry named us outsiders for the title after we beat Arsenal at the Emirates though, but it's only been good fun.

The only time I've felt anyone on the pod have made any genuinly negative and borderline stupid comments about us was Ian MacIntosh in their preview before this season. He was going on about how we were certain to go down, that Keano would just make things worse before inevitably replacing Lambert around christmas time etc etc. And to be fair, even if I thought his comments made him sound ignorant and arrogant, he was only saying what some on here were saying at the time as well.

Carragher summed up Gabby pretty well in his post-match review.

"He wouldn't be in the top 10 or 15 strikers in the premier league, but if you ask centre-backs who they wouldn't want to play against, he'd be in the top 4 or 5".

Then said something stupid like if you score an own goal you're in the wrong position.

There's the one guy on Football Weekley who seems incredibly dismissive of us. Saying our luck will run out as we've only had 6 shots on target. The same guy tipped us for relegation and seems to think we can't do this if we got injuries after winning at Anfield without our best 2 players.

Plus the bird does my head in to, she seems to speak very middle class about football, almost hippyish. I might stop listening soon, which is disappointing as I've listened for so long.

Amy Lawrence is one of the best panelists!

Yeah the ramble don't seem to mind us.

Jimbo on football weekly seems really down on us lately. Always makes the joke that nobody can be arsed to talk about us because we're boring.

Which is fine, he's right. I've just noticed it more recently.

With regards to the ramble, I'd be perfectly happy if Pete disappeared completely. He's the worst bit about it.

I used to feel that way about Pete but he seems like a really nice guy with a good heart and I like that he's one of those rare Newcastle fans that understands what a joke they are. Plus the best in jokes involved taking the piss out of him.

Those guys should be reaching a wider audience. As long as they retain their style of course.

Â