Media and punditry

BOF

I was listening to a football podcast that will go unnamed this week, and I could not believe how often I kept hearing the same phrases over and over and over again:

• It's a tricky one.
  • It's a funny one.
  • A funny old game.
  • To be fair.
  • Don't want to get carried away/let's not get carried away.

It's so stultifying. To be fair. 

On 28/09/2022 at 02:00, Marka Ragnos said:

I was listening to a football podcast that will go unnamed this week, and I could not believe how often I kept hearing the same phrases over and over and over again:

• It's a tricky one.
  • It's a funny one.
  • A funny old game.
  • To be fair.
  • Don't want to get carried away/let's not get carried away.

It's so stultifying. To be fair. 

Guardian football weekly has never been the same is Jimbo left

• Like 3

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Guardian football weekly has never been the same is Jimbo left

Can't disagree, especially lately. The contretemps between Max and Barry last week over some offhand tweet of Barry's was, as my teenage son would it, cringe.

• Like 1

On 01/10/2022 at 10:18, Marka Ragnos said:

Can't disagree, especially lately. The contretemps between Max and Barry last week over some offhand tweet of Barry's was, as my teenage son would it, cringe.

I don't listen any more. Sick of listening to United talk for 25 minutes and here's 7 words about Aston Villa's result.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hornso said:

I don't listen any more. Sick of listening to United talk for 25 minutes and here's 7 words about Aston Villa's result.

And every time they do talk about Villa they seem to coincidentally have that guy on who openly hates Villa. As in he actually openly admits he hates Villa and hates Dean Smith (when he was at Villa)

Which gets a bit old

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Souness has been having a go at Twitter fans abusing Maguire yet him and his Talksport colleagues are happy to have a constant go at Tyrone Mings for no reason

Huh? Souness is the worst for abuse there is! I am no Pogba fan but he basically bullied him.

• Like 1

3 absolute buffoons, all worse than each other. Jordan thought he was taking him to task, but what does a 5 year spell in Souness' career 30 years ago have to do with anything? It's not like he hired himself. He even said his own argument would have applied to him as well. Imagine not being able to poke holes in Graeme Souness' arguments.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

NIce to see Souness looking like a bigger muppet, these radio stations are taking advantage of him

My IQ dropped watching that for 9 minutes....and the placeholder of Souness smiling is **** scary.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

There's no more empty, nothing phrase than "this appointment is a risk/gamble".

Tired, lazy BS. It doesn't mean anything because you can raise issues with every appointment.

Unless they are a British manager who knows the league like Stevie G or Mark Hughes

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Stateside, we had the PL "fan fest" this past weekend, and I just don't see any of the usual pundits over in England signing up to do anything like it. I think it's really cool for something like this to happen here

• Like 2

To be honest, I find it utterly grotesque. Tens of thousands of Americans gathering in place to have a sing song, watch the Big Game and wave their Arsenal and Liverpool flags. The PL is far, far too big and global. Great for certain people's wallets, shit for "legacy" fans, and shit for the success of local teams in that country.

• Like 1

Was wondering what happened to Shearer on MOTD over the weekend.

Does he actually do pundit work on US TV or did they pay him and Wrighty to fly over as former premier league greats?

Rebecca Lowe looking good, she was always excellent presenter on Setanta/ESPN before moving to the States.

I mean part of the reason they don't have things like that here is that British people would never ever agree to line up for a mass smiley photograph and wave placards saying 'I love Mark Chapman' or whatever. Maybe it would be better if we did - I guess it would be less aggro at least - but we won't and there's no point pretending we could conjure that type of culture out of thin air. 

• Haha 2

Â